User Tag List

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Like Tree2721Likes

Thread: I Hate people on Kijiji!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A family member selling his vehicles has had some individuals email/arrange time to come to see a car then forget or not show then later contact again to inquire about it. A couple of people wanted two cars (put up on different months) and on the first visits, both individuals offered less than was asked for. But eventually they budged a little upwards on return visits and seller sold the cars to them.

I guess some people want to test interest in alternate forms of barter/trade instead of cash. It's not like the ones asking favours on delivery to spots close to them/on certain day/time are offering the SELLERS gas money or time money for your effort to accomodate them. Yes, there are people who want stuff but don't make the effort to benefit the seller in the alternate offer. So if you sell on Kijiji, know your limits and say "sayonara" to the ones that just don't understand NO.

BTW, it might help to alert family at home if strangers are calling the family number to ask about stuff you posted. Sometimes I have been unaware that something is posted for sale and I have to talk to strangers without being in the loop that they are responding to an ad or arrangement with seller. Have had words with the seller about those cases. I am willing to take contact information but if I'm not a car gearhead, I wish the caller to understand that I said I don't know and trust that s/he will get a return call at seller's next opportunity to do so. (rant over)
    Abby5 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I have a wedding dress and shoes to sell and I'm just dreading it....

No wonder people add "serious inquiries only" and even then, no one really pays attention to that.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Wed, Jul 18th, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Abby5 and bullet tooth like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

lol. We sold our old car on kijiji and some of the stories reminded me of emails I got. lol. Yeah, a lot of people ask to trade things. I was asked to trade for a home stereo system, a truck and a ride around lawn mower. lol. It was kind of entertaining. But we did sell the car after about 3 no shows, and 3 people looking it over and then saying "I have to ask a mechanic". The last person came with her mechanic and bought it on the spot. So, yeah, sometimes you just have to wait for the serious buyer.

Keep the funny stories coming! lol

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Buying or selling on Kijiji is a full time job. I'd rather just donate my things or have a yard sale once a year than try to sell on there.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Last year I was selling some books, this guy email said he would like to buy all of them,ok. He wanted to come pick them up friday at noon, when i told him no one will be at the house at that time he suggest I leave the box outside and he would leave the money in the mailbox. lol.

On the other hand I brought a couch set from this really nice couple and when i went to go pick it up it wouldn't fix in our car and the husband deliver it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It is perfectly ok to rant! When I was having a garage sale, many people emailed me and asked if they could come a day early to buy a specific item. And I agreed to this, and they confirmed they were indeed coming, and literally not one person actually showed up! But it was a good learning experience and now I know this is typical behavior of certain types of people using Kijiji.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I have a wedding dress and shoes to sell and I'm just dreading it....

No wonder people add "serious inquiries only" and even then, no one really pays attention to that.
    I donated my wedding dress to "the brides project" gives all the money they sell it to to cancer research - My dress was pretty inexpensive so I thought I would put the few hundred towards a good cause

I'm weary of Kijiji but you know - what works for you when you need some extra $$ and to get a good deal
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

First time my mom EVER posted on Kijiji and she got a scam email trying to pay by Paypal thanks goodness she had me around BIG FAT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol It isn't an easy site to buy or sell frm
    Abby5 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

I have a love/hate relationship with kijiji but since it is free to use I have a number of listings currently up on it.
    We have in the past sold a large farm tractor (after numerous scammers trying to get up to accept paypal, or have someone pick it up but give us a cheque because they will be out of town, etc. ) Finally weeded out the scammers and guy even paid us in installments and didnt' get the tractor till we had all cash in hand.
    CASH is the only method of payment you should accept, NEVER paypal as people can successfully file an non-delivery of goods complaint and win since you have no delivery tracking number.
    I don't take down any ad that has not been paid for. I am pretty far out of town so I post that in my ad. I will hold for a few days for people but if we set a time and they are a no show without an email to say why I move onto the next person.
    Smaller dollar amount items I will leave on my front porch for pick up, saves me alot of time and I have never had anyone not pay. It also saves on the negotiating once they get here.
    I have had lots of great experiences and some not so great so I have learned from those.
    I do not post my full address in the ad or give out my number until after the initial emal communication. I also try to make sure either my son (almost 16 and got some muscles now from throwing hay bales) or my husband is home for pickups. I do not do late night pickups at all and will not answer door if I am not expecting someone.
    When I am buying I make sure items are from a smoke free home, it is incredibly hard to get smoke out of plastic, wood, and some fabrics.
    I do accept offers on my items for the most part as long as they are reasonable. Not $10 on a $80 items but a small percentage off and if you are wanting multiple items sure. I do not accept other items as trade.
    Hope your experiences in the future are much better.
    Looking for FPC for almost everything. Growing teen boy eating me out of house and home. Visit my facebook page www.facebook.com/UneekCreations Will trade finished product from my Etsy shop.

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Kijiji, overall, is a nightmare but I have sold some things to some really nice people. The one thing that really gets me is when I state the price is firm, they try to talk me down into decreasing it. Ummmm no....FIRM means FIRM! I also ignore the idiots who email me to ask if the item is still available. I always have a note "If the ad is up, the item is still available". Why can't people read???
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Definitely wait for the serious buyer. When my wife and i sold the car we got some crazy offers. The A/C didn;t work so we didn't list it as having A/C. It was an older car and listed for quote a low price. One guy came to view it and spent the next week harrassing us with calls and emails to tell us about the great deal he could get for less money, the fact it had no a/c and we HAD to sell it lower. He just went on to the point even if he offered more money we wouldn't have sold to this guy. SO patronising.

Next person to view it bought it for the asking price. Very pleasant.

When we sold our Ipad people emailed all kinds of crazy offers. We just ignored until we got the deal we wanted.
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS83 View Post
    Definitely wait for the serious buyer. When my wife and i sold the car we got some crazy offers. The A/C didn;t work so we didn't list it as having A/C. It was an older car and listed for quote a low price. One guy came to view it and spent the next week harrassing us with calls and emails to tell us about the great deal he could get for less money, the fact it had no a/c and we HAD to sell it lower. He just went on to the point even if he offered more money we wouldn't have sold to this guy. SO patronising.

Next person to view it bought it for the asking price. Very pleasant.

When we sold our Ipad people emailed all kinds of crazy offers. We just ignored until we got the deal we wanted.
    I never give out my phone number for this reason...I do everything through email. And I don't have them come to my house ever!!! You never know...weirdos

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I have only bought a few things off kijiji and never sold anything on it, but so far I like it. It's true that it's very much buyer beware (and seller beware), but so far, so good for me. I'm sorry you've had such rotten luck with buyers... one young woman who I picked up a pregnancy pillow from remarked that although she had been selling stuff on kijiji for the past few months, I was the only person who had showed up on time, didn't haggle about price, and was polite to her. I felt really, really bad for her because she is a young single mom with a newborn who doesn't need the hassle. I hope things pick up for you on kijiji... there are nice people who buy stuff off there, even though I'm sure there's lots of nutjobs too (as many of the other posters have pointed out).

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

Oh luckily he didnt come to house as we met up somewhere else. He was a royal pain in the butt!! He just saw women and thought he could spout technical car stuff until we caved. He emailed to say no one would ever buy it and I guess he would take it if we took some money off. We told him we had a buyer and he never emailed again lol
    Win Amazon Giftcards just by searching with Swagbucks! I've made over $700!!!

Ask me for more information on how

Tangerine Orange Key is 14221156S1

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I have bought and sold a lot of things off kijiji and have had a lot of great experiences and saved a ton of money (mostly buying baby gear.) Sure I've had remorse about a few things and ran into a few crappy sellers/buyers, but overall I think it's a terrific system.

Reading the OP, my suspicion is that the "buyer" had their own ad for selling a similar item and didn't like the competition and convinced OP to take down her ad...! If someone tells you they want something but haven't picked it up yet - add to the title of your thread - SOLD PPU (pending pickup) - and leave the ad up! I find that this sometimes results in even more interest in your item and I often get people asking me to contact them if the original person doesn't pick up. Then when the original person doesn't pick up, remove the SOLD PPU from your ad. It's easy to edit your ad on kijiji.
    bullet tooth and Oingo Boingo like this.

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information