User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jasminebed

Thread: New to town...

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

...and feeling a little overwhelmed, especially after living in a small town for the last 8 years....best place to do groceries? has anyone been to Fred's Bread and have a favourite? what about Brother's Meats? good hairdresser? doctor?
    ok, so I'm feeling a bit more than a little overwhelmed....but other than that, I'm lovin' it!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Welcome!!!! I'm actually "still" living in a small town (1 1/2 hrs from K-town), but llived there, and still do most of my shopping there! I love No Frills & Wal-Mart for groceries. I actually end up price matching quite a bit at Wal-Mart to save me from going to each store. As for a doctor there's a great set-up next to the Shoppers Drug Mart on Princess & Centennial (that's if they are accepting new patients). My absolutely favorite spot to stop at in Kingston is Mr. Donair on Princess & Division!!! Hope you're enjoying life in the big city!

Trading Score
    245 (100%)

We go to Dr Yen. She is amazing. And I think she may be accepting new patients. She is at the CDK Clinic down town across from Dollaramma. Johns deli on Princess is the best place to buy meat. (The Tasty burgers are the best!) I do most of my shopping at Walmart and No Frills. And do not go to Mr Donair! They are dirty & disgusting!! Worst donair ever. Try Famous King at 505 Princess Street. They have the best Donairs in town!
    Get a full pair of glasses for as little as $29! The only place I buy my glasses. Super easy returns too - http://www.clearly.ca/refer/valerie

I love making my own beauty products and saving money. Go to http://www.well.ca and enter promo code panthera and save $10 on your first order.

Never pay retail
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Gotta second Famous King! No Frills is usually where I get items not on sale, walmart is a little far out for me. Food Basics near the shopping centre is pretty decent, and usually has nice produce. Don't even bother with the downtown store, they are tiny and always out of any decent deals.

John's Deli has been my butcher for a lot of years. Great local meat, produce, and an increasing selection of Organic items.

Doctors are hard to come by. You could try the Maple Health Clinic, I don't think their waiting list is long.

There are a lot of hairdressers, and prices vary a lot. If you had someone where you used to live, maybe ask if they could send you your client card? It would have notes about the colours, products, etc you like.

I'm rather a First Choice gal myself, and usually with a coupon! The one at Division and Concession seems to consistently do a good job. They have even been known to fix up people that were not satisfied with a cut at another First Choice.

Maison Paul on Princess (500 block I think, near University) is a good salon, been in business over 40 years, and quite reasonable.

Franselly's is very good, but more upscale.

The Cataraqui Dental Centre usually is taking new patients, and accepts most plans.

Hope you come to love Kingston as much as I do. Make sure you check out Tara Foods on Princess Street for great prices on many bulk items, and the best frozen fruit!

And please enjoy our Blues Festival! It's such a bargain at $10 for the whole weekend. Free music in Confederation Park Sat and Sunday afternoon that weekend too. www.kingstonblues.com

A trip on the Wolfe Islander II ferry is the best free way to get out on the water. Check out the Wolfe Island Bakery while you are there. Their Red River bread and cinnamon buns are awesome. They also have a store and cafe on Queen Street near Barrie.
    Panthera likes this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Welcome to the city!

I dont really have any advice on Doctors, I've had the same one for a really long time.

I agree with No Frills and WM for groceries, although there's a Farm Boy being built that I'm VERY excited about.

Brothers is FANTASTIC! Love it. We've bought steaks, pork chops, kabob's, stuffed mushrooms, well all kinds of stuff there. Always great quality!

You sound like you are near the Cat. centre so I'd suggest Beauty Express in the mall for haircuts. They are very small, usually only 1 stylist on at a time (sometimes 2) but they're very good. I've been going to the same girl for a couple of years now, she always does a great job. I'd book an appointment though, since they are usually busy.

Welcome again to the city, it's a wonderful place to live!

Thread Information