User Tag List

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

with the date of analog shut off being so close, (Feb 17 2009) does anyone know if the Canadian government is/will do like the American, with those 40$' coupons. or know a way to get one up north? they are definitely worth it.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

that would be nice-I didn't even know that the Americans are getting coupons! That isn't fair if us Canadians don't. But if it is up to the Canadian govt who is getting a time out (lol) we probably should not expect anything huh? They are too busy fighting about who is better. Sorry-I have a problem with the govt right now. It shows doesn't it? lol Anyways I will keep my eyes and ears open and if I see/hear anything I can post it. I am thinking someone else might beat me to it tho. lol
    Please take a moment to visit my blog! www.heatherv11.wordpress.com

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

That date is ONLY for the U.S. For Canada, it's not til August 31, 2011 - so if they will have something for us, they have time to roll it out yet.
    Here's the site with lots of info, and links - consumer affairs Canada -
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/oca-bc..._ca02319e.html

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

yea but being i'm so close to the border the 2009 date is more of an impact for me, since most of the channels i watch are american, don't watch ctv cbc or global much, and the rest of the channels are french, which i don't watch at all. lol
    Putting the fun back in dysfunctional

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It has no impact on you now, if you have cable.
    It only affects those with rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna who get two or three channels only.

If you don't have cable and are getting American channels (?) -
    "Canadians using a conventional (analog) television to receive over-the-air broadcast signals from the United States will require a set-top converter box to continue to do so after February 17, 2009. However, all Canadians will continue to receive Canadian over-the-air broadcast signals with a conventional (analog) television until the Canadian transition date of August 31, 2011."
    (It's all explained on the website cited earlier.)

Cable companies are starting to encourage people to get digital cable instead of analog, because analog will be phased out - we just got a digital box to try it out, for 2.95 a month. This is in addition to the barebones basic cable we have.
    Last edited by Natalka; Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 at 09:45 AM.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

yea i get American locals, abc, nbc, fox, cbs, pbs etc with a normal antenna, not cable. and with the coupon the atsc converter box would almost be free. hopefully the Canadian government helps out when the time comes to convert here. i have a digital hd tv, so do get CBS hd and NBC hd etc for free via digital antenna tv already, was just wondering if the Canadian government was doing anything to help. thanks for the responses.
    Last edited by kool_105; Mon, Dec 15th, 2008 at 10:41 AM.
    Putting the fun back in dysfunctional

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They have been advising us about the change over from analog for a while now and using a roof top antenna only, I thought that this would be no big deal and that I would only have to buy a dtv converter box
    Well, it has become a big deal in that it does not seem that dtv converter boxes are sold yet in Canada
    I guess my only option now is to buy a new TV with an ATSC tuner (my current TV bought only last year only has a NTSC tuner) unless someone has any ideas where to get a converter box (short of driving 2hrs to the US to get one)

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kool_105 View Post
    with the date of analog shut off being so close, (Feb 17 2009) does anyone know if the Canadian government is/will do like the American, with those 40$' coupons. or know a way to get one up north? they are definitely worth it.
    You can buy a box in Canada near Welland a store in St. Ann
    phone 905 957-4563 price $89.95

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Tigerdirect are selling them for about $50 and $65 - we decided to get the more expensive one, will have to ask my SO why as I am not sure.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...664&CatId=4039

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...508&CatId=4039

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...934&CatId=4039
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Did anyone end up finding a way to get these at a discount?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, it's just a week away.

Probably best to contact your local tv station or cable company. Sometimes what you need, or what you have to do, depends upon where you live, and what service you currently have.

More info

http://digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1282825334983
    http://digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1297881135894/1297881235775

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/bdt14.htm

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I just went to WalMart and the Source - both are sold out!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Without a converter we still get 3 channels, we used to get 10 - 13 with an arial on the roof. There are no converters in the stores. There are no coupons offered for Canadians .

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    It has no impact on you now, if you have cable.
    It only affects those with rabbit ears or a rooftop antenna who get two or three channels only.

If you don't have cable and are getting American channels (?) -
    "Canadians using a conventional (analog) television to receive over-the-air broadcast signals from the United States will require a set-top converter box to continue to do so after February 17, 2009. However, all Canadians will continue to receive Canadian over-the-air broadcast signals with a conventional (analog) television until the Canadian transition date of August 31, 2011."
    (It's all explained on the website cited earlier.)

Cable companies are starting to encourage people to get digital cable instead of analog, because analog will be phased out - we just got a digital box to try it out, for 2.95 a month. This is in addition to the barebones basic cable we have.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I HATE DTV. I used to get 12 channels, now I get 2 with the converter box! 2!!!!!! They said it was supposed to be better and you could get more channels, what a load of BS that is. I cant even get CTV OR Global anymore. With analog I used to get those channels perfectly clear. What a scam.
    Join Swagbucks for free amazon gift cards! $500 earned so far!!

Thread Information