User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Stamps Going Up To $1 In 2014 - Start Buying P Stamps Now!!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This is either false fear mongering in order to increase their year end profits or canada post is run by idiots if they think we can't do this math. I can back it up here so hold on.

First quarter losses this year 51 million dollars
    Second quarter losses this year 72 million dollars

There last years distribution was 9.8 BILLION dollars... Assuming next years sales decrease to around 8 Billion due to cost increases the profit...the increase the cost of the stamps means a increase in profit up to 3 Billion dollars.

They will also be cutting out 8000 jobs and the average letter carrier makes $50 000 a year... that is a $400 million dollar savings.

Since when does a yearly loss of around 150 million make for a cash grab of 3.4 BILLION DOLLARS... The numbers don't jive here. (the 150 million dollar loss is a generous guess... they make money at christmas time.)

They must think we are idiots!

Here is my source http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...31/?cmpid=rss1

Name:  mail volume.gif
Views: 690
Size:  11.8 KB
    Name:  mail profit and loss.gif
Views: 746
Size:  12.0 KB
    LIVE SIMPLE and nessa23 like this.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I know some volunteer organizations have been trying to shift members/volunteers to e-mailed newsletters in an effort to contain postage costs in the past couple of years. I think mailing out will become the standard for donation receipts but most other information will become pick-up only or "visit our website for details". Not all organizations have transitioned to the digital age and that goes the same for volunteers/members-there remains a need to offer information for the non-computer literate. Guess the phone will have to do.

There's an August news release about CP's quarterly results and in that release is mention of a $1B pension contribution due in 2014 as CP got a break on contributing towards the employee plan.
    The need for additional liquidity in 2014
    With the historic shift away from paper-based communications, the Corporation’s current business model does not allow it to achieve profitability and cash flow to support its operations. Also, in early 2014, Canada Post expects to reach the maximum legislated pension relief from special payments to reduce the $5.9 billion solvency deficit in its pension plan (as of December 31, 2012), which is fully funded on a going-concern basis. In resuming its special payments, Canada Post will have to contribute an estimated $1.1 billion, on top of current service contributions, in 2014 alone. Canada Post believes it will require additional liquidity by the end of the second quarter of 2014, and is evaluating its options to address the liquidity challenge.
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/abou..._q2_report.jsf
    So if there is money to be had, that plan has to get it beyond CP having to cover costs from its revenues and trying to make money.
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/asse...nancial_en.pdf
    Visit page 82-under Non-current liabilities, see the big number besides Pension, other post-employment and other long-term benefit liabilities. That item becomes a current liability (got deal with it within the year) in 2014.

I did not know that CP reached a collective agreement in December 2012 with its workers. Was that announced in the news the same way that the work slowdown was in 2012?
    http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/abou...nualreport.jsf
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Dec 11th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Just realized that it's going to be harder to redirect someone's mail into their box unless I know them/they have a mailbox on their house.
    If you get someone else's mail, just put it in the mail slot of the super mail box.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It seriously picks my butt that the carrier layoff covers 2-3 times the loss and they still are doing a 3 billion dollar cash grab.... *shaking my head... Billions... they want to take Billions from us! Everything they are doing decreases sales further.

If you think this will just effect trades your wrong. How many companies will no longer send out coupons... P&G, Save, Go Coupons, Websaver, J&J... if we are lucky they will go to printables... and any of those companies that just send out coupons like go, save or websaver... if they didn't calculate for this drastic of a increase they will shut down.... the average increase is a couple cents a year.
    Swagbucks, Earn 30 - $50 a month in surveys plus cash backs on your spending. You have to work at it, but it is WORTH it and it can help you buy some Christmas presents for free with Amazon gift cards or paypal payments. Referral link http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cheekysaver

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    If you get someone else's mail, just put it in the mail slot of the super mail box.
    Which will take a week to get back to them by the time it is mailed back (and often its returned to sender when you do that).

Cheekysaver, they needed govt approval for this which they got at their meeting so I don't think it is fearmongering (and to be fair, it is a 5 year plan)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysaver View Post
    If you think this will just effect trades your wrong. How many companies will no longer send out coupons... P&G, Save, Go Coupons, Websaver, J&J... if we are lucky they will go to printables... and any of those companies that just send out coupons like go, save or websaver... if they didn't calculate for this drastic of a increase they will shut down.... the average increase is a couple cents a year.
    At least there are coupons on Target.ca, rcss website, metro.ca, points attached to your PC Plus or Shoppers cards...

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I run an online business and every year the price to mail packages goes up, but in the last 2 years the prices have been so drastic of an increase I have changed the way I run my business. Now with the lettermail increases being so huge in 2014, I can only imagine what the parcels prices will skyrocket to. It breaks my heart when I think about closing this aspect of my business.
    FallenPixels and LIVE SIMPLE like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    So permanent stamps are not permanent like this says?
    I checked that Twitter feed and the OP seemed to have a two-part question, hense the confusing answer from Canada Post.

Canada Post confirmed "No, you will not have to "top up" your existing permanent stamps after March 30th". So permanent stamps will still be permanent but they will no longer be available for sale.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    128 (100%)

I hope the trade rate changes for amount of coupons for P stamps. If they don't I probably won't bother trading.
    It's hard enough to get coupons where I am with everyone taking tear pads so I always traded with stamps
    hijinx25 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Just read this "6 myths and realities about Canada Post" http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/6-my...post-1.2459970

I was happy to read this "The price of a stamp booklet will rise from 63 cents to 85 cents per stamp, and buying an individual stamp with cash will cost a dollar — but the average Canadian household purchases fewer than two stamps per month."

Still that is an increase of $.22 per stamp and $22.00 per 100.

Going to Canada post now to get a roll of 100 stamps.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    I checked that Twitter feed and the OP seemed to have a two-part question, hense the confusing answer from Canada Post.

Canada Post confirmed "No, you will not have to "top up" your existing permanent stamps after March 30th". So permanent stamps will still be permanent but they will no longer be available for sale.
    I had seen the OPs tweet and it wasn't two parts but that tweet was widely shared and replied to with threats of false advertising lawsuits
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.
    hijinx25 likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Some stores will still have them until their stock is out, my local store sold me 3 books, said he had about 15 left
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I'm sad that all of this is happening. I empathize for the people who would soon lose their jobs. It's a hard hit for us all.
    walkonby and redhdlois like this.

Trading Score
    130 (100%)

any stamps sales?
    My trade list check coupon trading
    Wish List:
    Trade with GC, Permanent Stamps, Herbal Essences FPC,or any FPC coupon, $5 Cascade, or Cimplex Movie pass,Movie GOGO, $2 stayfree coupon(no print out coupon),
    $2 any Kellogg’s product

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information