User Tag List

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Ways to save money

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Stop using shopping as entertainment. Shopping malls and stores are designed to sell you merchandise without you even realising it. (Read "Why We Buy" by Paco Undershill. Fascinating read on the psychology of selling.)

Only go to a store when you absolutely need something and stick to a list. If you run out of something, look for alternatives: wait until next shopping trip or use a substitute. It's very easy to go into a store for a carton of milk and come out with a bill upwards of $20.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Stop using shopping as entertainment. Shopping malls and stores are designed to sell you merchandise without you even realising it. (Read "Why We Buy" by Paco Undershill. Fascinating read on the psychology of selling.)

Only go to a store when you absolutely need something and stick to a list. If you run out of something, look for alternatives: wait until next shopping trip or use a substitute. It's very easy to go into a store for a carton of milk and come out with a bill upwards of $20.
    Several months ago, my husband and I went to a pretty much cash existance. Every pay we take out the cash we'll need for the next 2 weeks. We go to the store with something in mind and only a fixed amount of money in our pocket. It's been nuts how much we've saved. Because you only have a $20 in our wallet, you don't buy things unless you specifically went there for it.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

I went to my closet & pulled out a handful of clothes that I hadn't worn in months, & asked the kids to do the same. We donated to a clothing box around town. I don't think donating away things that I have already in my house will help me live frugaly, but definitely not buying more to add to my pile will help me stay within reason. I dont' have a lot of clothes as I wear a uniform to work everyday.
    I don't buy the latest gadgets (my laptop is 6 yrs old and slow but still works), we eat in most days because I like to cook, groceries are bought 70% of the time with coupons, my teens have nice clothes bought only on sale (Hollister jeans for $20!!) & sometimes with coupons or SPC card discounts.
    I drive a 11 year old car that seems to be doing ok but would love a newer one...only when this one is beyond reasonable repair.
    I don't go to expensive home parties becuase I don't want to feel the obligation to buy something just because my friend is the host (did that MANY times before). I politely decline.
    My fridge is never bulging with food because we eat fresh, home made food from the freezer most days. Usually there aren't left overs! When we eat out, it's a treat. (expensive when the teens now eat off the adult menu!)
    My house is modest. I'm a single mom, homeowner working on getting my mortgage down & invest 10% of my paycheck. (comes off the top so I don't see it) I have a saving account that's more than most of my married friends because they have twice the hands in the pot spending! I'm quite proud of my modest stash.
    I do use credit but I pay it off every month. I use 2 cards for points to redeem at Cdn Tire & RCSS.
    I think I am in the "norm" of most people in my position.
    What I am looking for are those little tidbits of information that aren't commonly known...the thoughts & suggestions that make you think "ahhhhhhhhhh.....never thought of that one!"
    Keep the suggestions going! This is a great thread!
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I was told by the Hydro company today to use toaster oven, slow cooker or bbq - avoid your oven at all costs, I explained that I purchased energy efficient appliances 2 years ago and he didn't say anything.

So tonight I used my toaster oven to cooked 9 chicken drumsticks.

We also burn candles at night time.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

You need to be caeful with kids and candles.

I've used garden solar lights in the past when I've wanted a small amout of illumination when the brood were younger.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Wow - lots of great suggestions to read through...not sure if this one was mentioned but I save butter wrappers in the fridge or freezer for greasing pans when baking. Works like a charm, just enough butter.

Snip.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

DH had an old wooden cutting board that looked fit to be tossed. It had weird stains and marks that just made it look so weathered and beat up. I took a power sander to it yesterday in the garage and it looks as pretty as one you could buy in a store! The only down side was I had to kneel on one side of it for the good part of an hour to keep it from moving.

I also wish I could have done it on a weekend to save even more, but the temperature wouldn't have been as perfect.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

absolutely, we are always careful and out of reach, thanks for your concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    You need to be caeful with kids and candles.

I've used garden solar lights in the past when I've wanted a small amout of illumination when the brood were younger.
    macw1960 and Darth Penguin like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you consider a money saving term for shopping, then i recommend to you for going with online shopping. Because, online shopping offers lots of opportunities to shop products with saving time and money. It's a finest way to save lots of money on shopping.
    macw1960 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My money saving tip at this time of year is to go through your closet, drawers and Rubbermaid bins and see what summer clothing you already own. Wash it and try it on. If you love it keep it. If you hate it donate it. If its so-so, wear it when you are gardening or cleaning lol I did this last month and realized the kids really don't need anything and I only need t-shirts/blouses. (I needed new clothes regardless) I even found brand new sandals for my youngest that I bought for the oldest but never fit him in the summer so now I don't have to buy any shoes this summer. I try to keep up on the laundry so nobody can complain that they have nothing to wear.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

up
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i rarely buy clothes

and only trim my hair twice a year.
    lilo0003 likes this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-just took a few recent clothing (like a year and a half) from my daughter's and a pair of jeans from mine -got cash from a store that buys on the spot -don't get much -like 4.85 for the jeans(4.00 for tops )all depends on make of clothing ad If its trendy too for kids in their 20"s but better than donating -so I got 4.85 my daughter got 15.00
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Thanks for the ideas.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I cut my hair once every 8 months and ignore them when they suggest highlights/lowlights. I have red hair that many pay money to get and the grey makes it look like I have lowlights. So maybe going grey Is frugal
    Insane likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Thread Information