User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree626Likes

Thread: What's in your Herb / Vegetable garden?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    My chives are already blooming. They didn't last year, why are they flowering so early?
    I'll pick them off after they bloom, so I can use them as garnishes...but it's a little early, no?
    Chives flower in spring with the nice weather we've had the past few weeks, it's not surprising they've bloomed.
    janetta, Ciel and dededi like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Not so frugal day today lol.... We stopped at the Co-op nursery and bought 2 more fruit trees for $42.99 ea (a mac apple and an anjou pear). We already have 2 apple trees that we bought last year that need a common polinator tree so the mac was the best bet. The pear tree was an impulse buy lol. I also bought 4 tomato plants, 8 bell pepper plants (they were $1.29 for each 4 pk) at the nursery and then 5 small raspberry plants for $2 ea from a friend in town.

I planted the raspberry plants along the edge of my veggie garden. DH put together the little green house he bought a few weeks ago and we stuck the tomato plants and bell pepper plants in there along with my cilantro and parsley seedlings that I started indoors.

My new gardening hobby is getting a bit expensive lol.
    ROMEO, Ciel and BC Gal like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I bought a few herb plants this weekend (rosemary, thyme, chives, one other I can't remember!), they will be in a container on my deck. I have room for a few more in that set of containers. I also bought six cucumber seedlings, think I'm going to put those into some 11 litre ice cream buckets i got recently (will drill some drainage holes), planning on two to a bucket. Also bought some tomato cages for them to grow on. I've never planted cucumbers, will be interesting to see how it works out in containers.
    ROMEO, Ciel and bobbiegirl2010 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Started some more seeds in my greenhouse:

Basil
    Brussels Sprouts
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Cucumbers
    Canteloupe
    Butternut, Acorn and Hubbard Squash
    Pie Pumpkins

This weekend I'll plant another row each of:

Red Lettuce
    Romaine Lettuce
    Mixed Greens
    Spinach
    Kohlrabi

Then I just have two different kinds of beans I'm waiting to direct sow into the garden. Still getting some risk of frost here so I'll wait until June 1st.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post

My new gardening hobby is getting a bit expensive lol.
    It's the start up that costs to most. After that, the annual costs go down

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I've never planted cucumbers, will be interesting to see how it works out in containers.
    When I had cucumbers in my garden, I had them along the fence so the plants could climb. It kept the cucumbers off the ground, as they hung down. I don't know if a trellis is just recommended or a requirement for them.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I remember when I was a kid, my parents planted cucumbers on the ground and they turned out fine. A little dirty but that washes of easily When I grow cucumbers I plant them in a container with some sort of support, only because I don't have the garden space to let them spread out. They turn out nicely either way.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by super807 View Post
    When I had cucumbers in my garden, I had them along the fence so the plants could climb. It kept the cucumbers off the ground, as they hung down. I don't know if a trellis is just recommended or a requirement for them.
    These will be up on my deck, and I'm going to plant them in 11 litre ice cream containers, so it would be a fair distance to the ground. I think they will be happier climbing on something. We shall see! My yard is heavy clay and lots of big rocks - planting shrubs and such in the past, sometimes I have to dig several holes before I find one that isn't just solid rock in the bottom.
    Last edited by Zonny; Fri, May 22nd, 2015 at 06:55 AM.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Jody22002 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

I am back in an apartment this growing season....I sure miss my little garden.
    However, I am attempting, once again, to grow some tomatoes. I bought two different kinds of organic seedlings from my local nursery about a week and a bit ago and
    they seem to be doing fine. I also decided I would plant some lettuce seeds and they are beginning to sprout along with some basil and cilantro.

Nothing compares to having a vegetable garden.......enjoy yours everyone !

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I turned my side flower beds into a veggie/herb garden this year. I replaced half the soil with new stuff and added compost. The beds are about 18-20 inches wide and run the length of our side yard (30ft roughly)

Using a bit of the 'square foot method' so far I've planted:
    - One little Raspberry stem
    - Strawberries
    - Cucumbers
    - Tomatoes
    - A couple Types of Hot Peppers & Bell Peppers
    - Pumpkin
    - Watermelon
    - Onions
    - Green onions
    - Corn
    - Chives
    - Carrots
    - Radishes
    - Lettuce
    - Rosemary
    - Oregeno

There is an awful little sandbox that breaks up the beds, so I'll be replacing it with another flower bed and planting potatoes too

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

So far everything is coming up nicely in the garden. There's even a few carrots sprouting (they took the longest). I should have brought my tomato plants and pepper plants inside last night... I thought they'd be ok from the frost and cold being in the greenhouse but I was wrong So DH went out and bought me new plants today.

Worked on the garden quite a bit today. Thinned out the radishes and rutabagas and noticed some carrots are finally coming up. Peas are also finally coming up too but not many. It hasn't rained here in a week so we gave the garden a good watering with the sprinkler.

I planted another row each of:

Red Lettuce
    Romaine Lettuce
    Mixed Greens
    Spinach
    Kohlrabi

I also decided to plant my yellow and green beans. We should be done with the frost right (cross my fingers).

How is everyone else's gardens coming along?
    ROMEO, Ciel, redhdlois and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

had no plans to plant a thing until Sat. afternoon DH said " wanna go and get some seeds and plants?" So we now have the tomato upside down planters filled, 2 kinds, cherry tomatoes and beefsteak ( hope the larger ones are not going to be too heavy?? )
    I put sage and basil plants in planters but had cilantro seeds in a smaller one . DH has his bush beans and lettuces done, I did some green onions for DD ( that was easy shoving some onions bulbs in the dirt!! ) Oh and tossed my morning glory seeds
    ( I have collected many from past years out of the dried pods ) into a big planter with a climbing trellis. Still cannot find my snow pea seeds, I refused to buy more as I know they are downstairs somewhere!! Plus we grabbed a few more small flower pots for the front window....looks so nice!
    The less we have out back the better this year, more manageable and less sad when the critters dig up the pots and eat stuff!
    ( yes I am talking about you Mr Squirrel.......grrr!! )

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I was about to plant my cucumbers yesterday, when Mother Nature came along and was on all kinds of weird drugs. It was sunny, it was cloudy, it rained, it kind of snowed, it ice pelleted. Took my wee seedlings in to do today instead!
    ROMEO, Ciel, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

My garden seems to have survived the frost, as what I had planted so far was cold resistant. I did some thinning yesterday of spinach, beets and carrots. Will have more carrot thinning to do next weekend too I think. I ate the spinach that I thinned, and also the beet leaves (I think technically those were micro greens at this point), but garden is doing well. Planted one square of bush beans. Really glad I had waited on those as they likely would not have survived the frost.

So far, everything I have planted is sprouting.

It's ironic that so many were dubious that I was planting "so early" and didn't wait until May long weekend to plant. Those that did plant last weekend, if they planted plants rather than seeds still lost plants to the frost we had on Friday not. But my stuff is fine.

And my rhubarb is at the point that I need to start harvesting it. Will be freezing quite a bit, as it is producing so well that I won't be able to use it all in time.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We planted on the weekend Cherry and beefsteak tomatoes, orange peppers and broccoli. We plan on planting carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, beans and hopefully butternut squash in my moms garden. Can't wait till we can make pasta sauce and soup for the freezer with out harvest )

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information