User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: does anyone else plant Amaryllis at Christmastime?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am in LOVE with these tall flowering bulbs. I am not frugal though, I buy new bulbs every year in November ( usually a sale of $4.99 each ) that come with the pot and dirt and bulb. I like to pick as many different types as I can see, but this year I chose 3.
    Red Lion, Minerva and Apple Blossom.

As a bit of fun I taped my 3 grown kids names to one of the plants each ( random ) and I announced it would be a race to see who's grew tallest, fastest and who's had the most flowers. Absolutely NO favouritism was shown as I have watered all 3 the same. They all sit in the same window getting sun.
    I am looking at them now and wow!! Minerva ( DS#2's ) already has a 12" stalk! The Red Lion stalk ( DS#1 ) is about 6" now and the poor Apple Blossom ( DD's) is a stump! O.k. not a stump but the stalk is only about 3" out of the dirt!

I wonder if planting DS#2's in this odd vase I have made the difference. I cannot find an image that looks like it but almost no soil is used and the bulb is placed inside on the bottom but it has to grow up inside the long-ish neck, Well it was a bulb just like the other two and within days it seems this thing came peeking out the long neck! Crazy fast!

The best part is the cats cannot reach where i have these!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Home Depot

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I have an apple blossom one growing now. It is the second year for this bulb. I hope to grab a couple others when they go on clearance. They are truly beautiful. My 4 year old is thrilled to watch it grow. He collected all the rocks to put in the bottom, of this vase. Last year it got very top heavy, the small pot they come with doesn't work very well. I can't wait for some blooms!

Silly photo uploaded rotated...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mrsf1sh; Wed, Dec 2nd, 2015 at 11:24 PM.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@mrsf1sh , I have a photo somewhere of my eldest standing next to a very tall one we grew one year, he was about 2-3 yrs old. The memories of that always choke me up.
    Usually I try to " time " the planting so that they are in full bloom on Christmas day, but at the rate DS#2's is going his may be all done on that day?? lol!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I'd hoped for a Christmas bloom... not to sure about what the next 3 weeks will bring. when do you usually plant?
    I only remembered that I had my bulb in the garage when I saw a display at rcss. It had been dormant for 9 weeks, and seems to be doing okay. The 2nd day after planting DS was suppose to be watching a TV show while I put DD down for a nap....found the poor bulb drowning after he got the watering can out and gave it a drink....didn't have to water for 2 weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsf1sh View Post
    I'd hoped for a Christmas bloom... not to sure about what the next 3 weeks will bring. when do you usually plant?
    I only remembered that I had my bulb in the garage when I saw a display at rcss. It had been dormant for 9 weeks, and seems to be doing okay. The 2nd day after planting DS was suppose to be watching a TV show while I put DD down for a nap....found the poor bulb drowning after he got the watering can out and gave it a drink....didn't have to water for 2 weeks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    lol!! eager beaver with the watering can....I planted these ones almost 2 1/2 weeks ago ( I think? my brain! ) BUT I always ask the expert gardener here ( DH ) his advice on when, and he gave me the green light.
    I feel that they will all be fully flowered before Christmas....sigh.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

i've had them in the past but i haven't had one for many years now.. i keep saying that i'll buy one but never get around to it.. perhaps like mrsf1sh i'll wait til the clearance

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I bought 3 double Nymphs in different colours - regular (white with red specs/veins), pure white and pink. Regular Nymph is quite common, but I've never seen white and pink before. I planted all 3 in one planter, was hoping they will bloom at the same time, but looks like one will bloom much earlier, spike is already 4 inches tall and the rest are just starting to grow.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I can kill plastic plants so I tend to avoid real ones..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

yes and yes and yes and I love them. I save them and grow the same bulbs year after year. I have all those you picked out and then a bunch more in my amaryllis collection. I even have some youtube vids posted on how to take care and keep your bulbs going year after year but I am too shy to link them here Great choices, you will not be disappointed with them.

All of mine are in cold storage right now. I dig them out in late Oct and give them a rest and then plant in Jan/Feb. The ones you buy now are forced to bloom around xmas time. I am so tempted to buy more!

Do not plant them too deep. 1/3rd of the bulb with the neck should be sticking out of the soil. Just like in those stock pictures you posted.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

^^^ very nice @tobiwobi !! See a smart person would save and replant, I MUST start doing that!! Never knew there was any difference in the ones they sell in Nov for Xmas shoppers. How do they force a bulb to bloom?
    Crochetlady and avoncallingu like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

there are so many pretty ones out there.. i would have a hard time choosing.. i am fond of these ones though..

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

update! And it is actually NOT even a race anymore because DS#2 plant has 1 ginormous stalk with 2 flowers in full bloom already and 2 more attached mid bloom AND a second stalk about half way up the first! believe it or not DD's looks only about an inch taller since I first posted this and that is it!
    DS#1's looks like it may be a promising 2nd place finish.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Hi there!
    I have a suggestion for D Penguin.....wait until after Christmas and buy a FAKE one at Michael's!

I have one like that but I like to give the kits as gifts as the are not too extravagant and can brighten the winter.
    Crochetlady and walkonby like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Ok, I finally got one today. It's the Minerva that walker purchased also. They were on sale for $6................something at the Superstore so I decided to get it. It has two sets of leaves growing already, hopefully this means two stems. Mind you, they're only about half an inch so far. I'll keep you posted.
    tobiwobi likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Not impressed with the white one. It was only 4 1/2 inches tall and flowers look misshapen, nothing like fully open Nymph with broad rounded petals. The other two are taking their time, looks like they will be considerably taller.Name:  Hypp_s.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodymary View Post
    I bought 3 double Nymphs in different colours - regular (white with red specs/veins), pure white and pink. Regular Nymph is quite common, but I've never seen white and pink before. I planted all 3 in one planter, was hoping they will bloom at the same time, but looks like one will bloom much earlier, spike is already 4 inches tall and the rest are just starting to grow.
    GoJays likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information