User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: what are people planting this year .....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

With the price of fruits and veggies right now. I am looking at what I want to plant this year.

what is everyone planting...

I have raised beds.
    and 2 large tubs for container gardens.
    I may get more containers.....
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I/we need to make some planters for our new decking..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We are planning on planting a huge garden with the main items to make pasta sauce for the freezer as well as green beans, peas, lettuce, kale etc. We were just talking about it and saving/ using out Canadian tire money to get plants and seeds

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The cost of produce seems so high sometimes. I did a quick grocery shop the other day and didn't check the receipt until I got home. The large red pepper cost almost $4. Cabbages are between $3-5.

I haven't narrowed down everything we'll plant this year, but some of the "definites" are string beans, carrots, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, beets, summer squash, and cabbage.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Also butternut squash I want to grow! To make soup for freezer

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

Dont's forget the plant once... reap for years plants. - Strawberries, asperagus, rubarb, raspberries, blueberries

look on kijiji for anyone giving some away for free. I never paid for my strawberries or raspberry plants.And both produce enough all summer to keep my family of 5, plus my Daycare kids eating from them all summer.
    My rhubarb plant... I got at a church sale for 3.00. well worth it.

also herbs. Herbs look lovely tucked into various flower beds. and a lot come back every year. my one sage plant I bought 6 years ago ... provides me with enough sage all year round. and comes back every single year.
    I buy very , very few spices.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have a herb garden that was here when I bought house. Chive seemed to be used daily!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Will be planting basil this year for sure!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The herb cookbook I read last month indicated that basil will grow a tall stalk in its second year and need replacing with new seed-thought basil was a perennial. So I have to look into getting fresh basil seeds plus see if lavender seeds will work this summer for 2017 flowering. Need to review OSC Seeds' website and see what I can get at Home Hardware for OSC and Aimers Organics seeds. Would like mesclun salad mix for a container.

I am keen to see if Chapters/Indigo brings back the garden in a pail again with the small strawberries--want to try growing berries in a container this year. The store has the herbes de Provence, Mediterranean and pesto herb kits in stock now. There are chalkboard painted pots too. Would love the red pot for berries.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I bought seeds yesterday! Still need some more but so far have; 2 different types of lettuce, Spinach, Beans, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash and basil! So excited to start seeds indoors. When do you start your seeds if you do so?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    I bought seeds yesterday! Still need some more but so far have; 2 different types of lettuce, Spinach, Beans, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, butternut squash and basil! So excited to start seeds indoors. When do you start your seeds if you do so?
    Normally closer to the end of February, or check your local last frost date and depending on the brand of seed your purchased it should state a number of weeks before you plant outside that you should start your seed. So once you check your frost date minus the number of weeks you need it to start before the last frost and that is approx when you should start them.. i always get over ambitious and can no longer wait so generally just start them late Feb when i get too anxious. As long as you dont mind plants growing inside for a few weeks if you started too early you should be good!
    Lots of people know how to make money, but are not gifted in the art of preserving it. Smart Canuckers are different, HAPPY HUNTING!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks, usually don't plant outside till after May 24th weekend. Was thinking starting around March but wasn't sure. May start at different times and see what works

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Fortinos Ancaster has a small spin rack of Berton seed packs right next to the corner of Floral dept chill room (as you walk the Piazza aisle across the front of the store from the West entrance). Canadian Tire has a McKenzie Seeds three-sided display (a few Organic seeds) and a four-sided display with Johnson Planter Veggie Seeds, Fothergills seeds (the letter coded ones) and one other name.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ontario SCers-check your Loblaw banner stores' produce sections for the product of Ontario Organic Rosemary or Basil plants (about 4-6" high) in bio-degradable pots for $2.99 each. Spotted them in Fortino's Ancaster on the middle wall of the produce display between seedless cukes and the cauliflowers.

Westcliffe Mall's Home Hardware has seed racks out in the mall: Weston Seeds, Zappa Seeds (those big green envelopes), OSC seeds (white packs-1 rack; there's one cauliflower seed packet) and one Aimers Organics seed racks (mostly the radishes, herbs, gourds, lettuces) and a cardboard display of Mark's Choice seeds. OSC has some heirloom seed varieties in their garden veg/herb packs and in their flowers on the racks but the full range is not stocked at Home Hardware.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes I have been seeing the seed racks out now at RCSS and FB.

Has anyone ever grown celery? I may try lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information