User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: does anyone else plant Amaryllis at Christmastime?

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Well, the first flower stalk is quite tall now, probably about 12 inches.. the second one is just starting to peak up from the bulb.

While I was planting the bulb I accidentally broke off a tiny bulblet, it was only an inch long, if that. I decided to plant it anyway.. well, wouldn't you know the darn thing is bringing up its own little leaf? I wonder how many years til it has a flower
    walkonby likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

A very quick final post about the 3 I planted on behalf of my 3 kids. The one that had my DD's name on it was supposed to be an Apple Blossom?? BUT it never even flowered at all??!! What a rip off! Lots of tall green leaves, no flower. So this year I am going to try and save the bulbs and replant them, does anyone know if that " dud " Apple Blossom one should be chucked out or could it still produce a flower next year?
    GoJays likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I would give it one more chance, walker... but then again, it's easy to say that... following through, for me, is a whole different story
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

OK, forget twelve inches... I haven't measured but I bet it's closer to 24 inches now.. the thing is a beast. Hopefully it doesn't get all spindly, then it won't be able to hold up the flowers... THEN I'll be annoyed.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    A very quick final post about the 3 I planted on behalf of my 3 kids. The one that had my DD's name on it was supposed to be an Apple Blossom?? BUT it never even flowered at all??!! What a rip off! Lots of tall green leaves, no flower. So this year I am going to try and save the bulbs and replant them, does anyone know if that " dud " Apple Blossom one should be chucked out or could it still produce a flower next year?
    Just leave it in the pot and give it more fertilizer through the year.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    Just leave it in the pot and give it more fertilizer through the year.
    oh!!! really? @Poirot can I leave all 3 of these Amaryllis plants in their pots and they will " restart " on their own next year? ( provided I give them fertilizer in the year ) Do I have to trim them all back short first or anything? Should I leave them in the window or put them somewhere else to store away? Also the one that never produced a flower at all but just gave me tall green leaves, will that one produce a flower next year? Ty in advance if you know.
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Jan 12th, 2016 at 10:20 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    oh!!! really? @Poirot can I leave all 3 of these Amaryllis plants in their pots and they will " restart " on their own next year? ( provided I give them fertilizer in the year ) Do I have to trim them all back short first or anything? Should I leave them in the window or put them somewhere else to store away? Also the one that never produced a flower at all but just gave me tall green leaves, will that one produce a flower next year? Ty in advance if you know.
    I leave mine in pots all year.I treat like regular houseplants I fertilize ocassionally with house plant fertilizer.I just leave the leaves of the plants.Then about a year later I just put them in the basement in their pots without watering them for a couple of months then bring them upstairs put them in front of a window start watering them a little bit then so will start growing again and blooming again.I had an amaryllis last years doing this.My current two amaryllis are 2 and 3 years old now.
    Last edited by Poirot; Tue, Jan 12th, 2016 at 12:48 PM.
    GoJays, walkonby and tobiwobi like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

So... the taller of the two stalks is now between 24-26 inches and the bud has broken.. it'll be blooming very soon. The shorter stem is quite tall also - probably about 20 inches.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

hooray!! flowers soon!!
    GoJays and tobiwobi like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'll take a picture when they're both blooming
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It tipped over and both flower stalks broke off, it was too top-heavy. at over two feet tall with all that weight on top, I'm not surprised Sad but not surprised. I should have had it in a heavier pot. Oh well, maybe next year.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    It tipped over and both flower stalks broke off, it was too top-heavy. at over two feet tall with all that weight on top, I'm not surprised Sad but not surprised. I should have had it in a heavier pot. Oh well, maybe next year.
    so sorry to hear that gojays. here are mine currently in bloom from saved bulbs. I hope you keep yours for next year. I have a collection of bulbs accumulated over the years and I plan them several per pot, here are three in one large pot, two out of three in bloom, not bad. And then when they're done I just cut off the stems, pop some annuals between bulbs and out they go for summer.

Name:  IMG_20160424_211303.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  34.1 KB
    GoJays and walkonby like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information