Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By greeny
  • 2 Post By lecale

Thread: Japanese Lilac tree

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm thinking of planting two lilac trees (sorry can't change the thread title, but they are purple lilac trees not the Japanese ones) in my backyard. I don't know much about these trees but they look beautiful and blossom late. Are these trees easy to take care of? Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by greeny; Mon, May 30th, 2016 at 08:31 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

They grow like weeds on the side of the road here, so yeah, they're easy to take care of. The biggest piece of information I can give you about lilacs is to prune immediately after the blooms fade. They set their blossoms for next year almost right away, so if you prune too late, you're cutting off next year's flowers. Nothing will happen to the shrub, you just won't have flowers til the year after. I would suggest regular pruning though because these things grow huge. Unless you have a very large area that you can plant them then you have to cut them back at least a little bit. I like them but I don't have the space for them.
    greeny likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    They grow like weeds on the side of the road here, so yeah, they're easy to take care of. The biggest piece of information I can give you about lilacs is to prune immediately after the blooms fade. They set their blossoms for next year almost right away, so if you prune too late, you're cutting off next year's flowers. Nothing will happen to the shrub, you just won't have flowers til the year after. I would suggest regular pruning though because these things grow huge. Unless you have a very large area that you can plant them then you have to cut them back at least a little bit. I like them but I don't have the space for them.
    Great information. Thank you !
    GoJays likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

They like alkaline soil so if you have a fireplace you can dump your ashes under them. It will help them bloom.
    GoJays and greeny like this.

Thread Information