User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Amazon free shipping limit just went up.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yea, OK... maybe this falls into First World problems... but whatever... it was unannounced and kinda cheesed me off.

2 days ago I placed an order on Amazon that was $28... it shipped for free.

TODAY, I put something in my cart for $14.99 and was advised "add $20.01 to receive free shipping..."

Wait... what? that's $35... not $25. when did this happen?

Apparently it happened in the past 48 hours... and here's the proof:

Google's CACHED version of the page 2 days ago... (note the date circled in the upper left)

Attachment 319586

Todays LIVE version of the same page:

Attachment 319585

BUGGERS!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Sep 22nd, 2016 at 06:21 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Buggers indeed!
    Newfiescreech and Angela273 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Not surprised, it's been $35 for free shipping on Amazon.com for a long time. It would have been nice for them to give some notice though.
    Newfiescreech and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

.com is $49 since Feb.

.ca is doing this to push its Prime shipping

Back in 2010, Amazon actually lowered its free shipping threshold in Canada to $25 from $39, citing a strong Canadian dollar and increased online competition as reasons for the decrease.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They sneakily increased that. They are just trying to push their PRIME stuff.

Prime Canada membership is not worth it, compared to Prime US. Way less stuff given.

I barely order from Amazon anymore. Their prices are not that great either, they fluctuate a lot. Only if I can't find something anywhere else, I buy it from Amazon, usually a third party seller in China, so not even fulfilled by Amazon directly, just their marketplace. I hope Canadians boycott them this X'Mas season , theh might listen and bring it back to $ 25.

They treat their employees in the warehouse like crap. I know a few who worked there. Most of the hiring is from temping agency called SMX - Staff Management.
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Poirot like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    They sneakily increased that. They are just trying to push their PRIME stuff.

Prime Canada membership is not worth it, compared to Prime US. Way less stuff given.
    The US now also offers month-to-month Prime subscriptions. Granted it costs more per month than if you sign up for a year, but it's a tad more manageable. At $10/mo, that's less than the price of shipping for 2 orders... plus you still get all the perks for video, and the other features for that month.

I barely order from Amazon anymore. Their prices are not that great either, they fluctuate a lot. Only if I can't find something anywhere else, I buy it from Amazon, usually a third party seller in China, so not even fulfilled by Amazon directly, just their marketplace. I hope Canadians boycott them this X'Mas season , theh might listen and bring it back to $ 25.
    I honestly can't see that. People are bound to spend more online this season... and Amazon is the king in that industry. This was the perfect time, business-wise, for Amazon to sneak the increase in. People will stink about it now, sure and probably be a bit resistant, but it's only September. I bet most people haven't even noticed yet because many folks arent doing their heaviest spending yet. I give it 3 weeks, and by the end of October (for anyone that HAS noticed ) they'll have accepted the change as they start their holiday shopping because most likely their orders are more than $35 anyway. After all of their holiday shopping by the time 2017 is upon us, people will have even forgotten it was ever $25... $35 will be the well accepted new-normal.

s
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have to agree my amazon shopping has gone way down since they now do third party sales. I find it way too time consuming to figure to keep track of what Amazon ships what a third party ships, what ships for free, what ships for free over $35 and now I have noticed third party buyers can set different minimums. Not to mention risking that if it does not ship from Amazon you may have to pay duties on it.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Before I do any looking on amazon, I click on the amazon prime icon on the left side (even though I don't have it) and then any results which come up are shipped by amazon only - works great.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Amazon even has different prices for different people ! If you login you might see a different price than someone else depending on your spending habits.

sometimes you add something to your basket and you are browsing, while you got to checkout the price changes ! I had a luugage added to my basket for $ 60, by the time I went to checkout it was $ 170 !

wasn't even a price error or lighting deal or something or prime deal. Too many algorithms and tracking and other stuff with Amazon.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

DS asked me to order something today and I noticed the $35 shipping minimum for free shipping. Wondered how long that had been. Oh well, had another item in the cart for my niece for Christmas so order is done!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I have to agree my amazon shopping has gone way down since they now do third party sales. I find it way too time consuming to figure to keep track of what Amazon ships what a third party ships, what ships for free, what ships for free over $35 and now I have noticed third party buyers can set different minimums. Not to mention risking that if it does not ship from Amazon you may have to pay duties on it.

Yes !! I was charge duties when my parcel got deliver to my home .. I'll Stop buying from Amazon .. if this what their doing now .. Wow !
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazon even has different prices for different people ! If you login you might see a different price than someone else depending on your spending habits.
    I've been shopping with Amazon.com since about 1999 (and .ca when it came about a few years later). I have noticed similar anomalies on both sites, but have explanations to help you along.

I believe this 'myth' of 'preferred pricing' was busted quite some time ago... the problem isnt different prices for different people per-se (it kind of is, but I'll explain). It's not about your spending habits or preferred pricing... it's about your Prime membership or not. And it's not giving you a better/worse price because you're with prime... it just presumes that since you ARE a prime member, you would prefer Prime-eligible items by default. Based on that, it's showing you a different listing of the same item because of the different sellers that may/may not be Prime eligible.

There are two variables at play here:

1.) For the non-Prime member, Amazon will always show the lowest price including shipping that's listed as in stock or otherwise readily available from ANY seller, even if it's better than Amazon's price and regardless if Amazon fulfills it or not. If the lowest price seller runs out of stock, Amazon will revert to the next available seller, and display their price. Again, this is regardless if it's fulfilled by Amazon or not.

UNLESS...

2.) you are a Prime member... then it will list the lowest priced PRIME eligible products first (regardless of seller)... but followed (as always) by a link to "available for less from other seller without prime shipping" (or something to that effect) just below the main price.

If there are no Prime eligible inventory of that item available, then the main price reverts back to option 1, showing you the lowest price overall as usual, and does not have the "Prime" logo next to it. (which you do not see if you're not a Prime member)

sometimes you add something to your basket and you are browsing, while you got to checkout the price changes ! I had a luugage added to my basket for $ 60, by the time I went to checkout it was $ 170 ! ... ... wasn't even a price error or lighting deal or something or prime deal. Too many algorithms and tracking and other stuff with Amazon.
    And yes, this happens frequently because of an algorithm, as you suggested. That algorithm automatically shifts seller based on how "availability" is being reported. The one you saw for $60 might have been identified as available by Seller-X (perhaps in error) but then was listed as "available in 2-3 weeks" (or similar) So, using the system I described above, Amazon automatically shifted you to the first seller who has the item actually in stock and ready to ship.

NOTE: This shift ONLY occurs if the original item's listing was a third-party seller. If it was an item that "Ships and sold by Amazon" then this shift does not occur. I have never seen it occur anyway in these instances.

This too used to cheese me off, but I've learned through the years how to prevent it...

The way to avoid this AT ALL TIMES you see this happening, is go to the product listing itself. Click on the "## new starting at $xx.xx" (a few lines or so just below the main price -- (NOTE: you will not see this option if only one seller has the item, but then if that's the case, the shift won't occur anyway).

From there you will see ALL sellers selling the item, including if Amazon sells it themselves. You can personally select the seller that YOU want to provide the item, even if there is an exceptionally long wait time or it's out of stock from that seller. Just click the ADD TO CART on the line item of the one you SPECIFICALLY want. Amazon will identify that you want THAT seller and are willing to wait for it to be available from that seller. You would eventually get your $60 luggage, just not as fast -- maybe not at all, if the seller never gets any more -- but you wouldnt have been charged for it if it never ships.

Hope these tips help...
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Sep 29th, 2016 at 03:59 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I hate their third party items or I just have bad luck. I have bought 3 items from 3 different parties. One never showed up, 2nd was incomplete i.e. got less than 10% of the item, another was totally something different!!!

$35 SUCKS though
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    I hate their third party items or I just have bad luck. I have bought 3 items from 3 different parties. One never showed up, 2nd was incomplete i.e. got less than 10% of the item, another was totally something different!!!

$35 SUCKS though
    Did you get a refund ? Complain, even if its third party, I think Amazon vouches for them and guarantees on their behalf.

A friend of mine ordered 2 Cell phone cases, exact same cases for the same phone from the same third party guy. One showed up in 3-4 days. The second is yet to come, its over a month now ! He has complained to Amazon, lets see what happens.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

On a side note, can you use Amazon Prime to ship to other addresses for free ? Like lots of other addresses ? Or is it shipping only to your addy

say 5 of you buy just one Amazon Prime between the 5 of you and split the cost.

And everytime the other 4 want something, you buy it for them and they pay you cash, but you ship it to their addy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information