User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Amazon free shipping limit just went up.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    On a side note, can you use Amazon Prime to ship to other addresses for free ? Like lots of other addresses ? Or is it shipping only to your addy
    say 5 of you buy just one Amazon Prime between the 5 of you and split the cost.
    And everytime the other 4 want something, you buy it for them and they pay you cash, but you ship it to their addy.

What I'm about to describe is how Amazon.com works, when I ship to my US address for parcel-pickup just across the border. For all intents and purposes, according to Amazon.COM that is my primary address. Now two friends of mine also coincidentally use the same parcel service at the same address.

I'll tackle your specific question a bit further on... but how *WE* do it, is we split the cost of Prime (we pay cash to the primary holder, out of pocket). One of us is the primary Prime member... and through Amazon's Prime account management option, the primary member invites the other two as members of the same address. After we do a manual "handshake" (for lack of a better term) through Amazon, Amazon then identifies that a.) we know each other, and b.) we have the same primary address. Each of us maintains and uses our own Amazon accounts and we can make our own discrete purchases with our own accounts using our own payment methods for our purchases, and the parcels are all shipped via Prime to the single address in the US.

I haven't confirmed this, but I believe that Amazon.ca would work just the same way... but that's having your separate accounts intact, ALL shipping to the same address -- which I completely recognize is not quite what you asked... but I told that for a reason so I could enhance that explanation...

To address your first part of your question... (still using .com as the comparison)

On a side note, can you use Amazon Prime to ship to other addresses for free ? Like lots of other addresses ? Or is it shipping only to your addy
    Technically you're supposed to have only one address that you have items shipped to -- however (still referring to my US-based Amazon.COM account) while vacationing in the US, I have had parcels shipped to my hotel, in a completely other city in a completely other state than my "primary" US shipping address... and they shipped via Prime to my hotels... no questions asked.. no issue and no complaints from Amazon. However I don't do it all that often. (and it has been done regardless whether I was the primary Prime holder, or if it was one of my friends at that time) -- as well I have also successfully shipped to an Amazon "pickup location" in the states and had it shipped Prime with no issues.

So in summary the criteria that works above (again using .com) is that
    - Each of my friends and I ALL use the SAME primary shipping address on our accounts. (our billing addresses are all in Canada, and are all different, incidentally) -- but fortunately 99 times out of 100 we're all normally shipping to that single address anyway.
    - My hotel, whenever I add one, gets listed under my account as secondary address Regardless, the parcels still ship via Prime methods
    - My friends alternate US addresses, similarly are listed as secondary addresses without issue.
    - I have also successfully shipped to an Amazon "pickup location" in the states and had it shipped Prime

Shipping to an address OTHER than your primary address seems to work using .com and you're able to share your Prime account with other people who are 'allegedly' in your household and have the same primary address.

[*Another benefit of doing it THIS way is that if you want a lightning deal (usually limited to only one per person), each of you STILL gets a crack at it. Whereas if you use ONE account for all the purchasing you are only eligible for ONE lightning deal. -- which can be a problem especially around black friday deals.]

--

Now, focusing on Canada... Amazon.ca

While briefly having Prime in at Amazon.ca I have successfully shipped parcels to family members homes and to my satellite work office in another city -- and in all cases they shipped via Prime methods. -- But again, I didnt do it often, just a few times in total. But was never blocked and never heard from Amazon about it.
    So you COULD do it that way if you wanted. But I would suspect if you made an obvious habit out of shipping to alternate addresses, it might raise some red flags.

[Note: I usually only ride the 30-day trials whenever Amazon.ca lets me again (usually once a year). I have never paid for Prime in Canada nor held it long enough to make specific comparisons with the US model.]

Presuming Amazon.ca follows the same policy, practices, and procedures as the US where it pertains to sharing Prime, you could try the following:

If all your friends are local, see if you can SHARE your Prime account (again, I haven't confirmed if you're able to do this in Canada or not). Before you start the invite process, be sure and all have your primary shipping address (billing doesn't matter) set to the same address. This way, each of them has their own discrete cart, payments, etc... They can place their orders as they see fit, and have them shipped to that common address.

As I say, I wouldnt make a habit of shipping them off-the primary too often.

I know it doesnt give you a clear answer to your question. All I know is how the US model works, and my limited experience with the Canadian one. But still, I hope it helps a little.

ADDENDUM: Not that it matters here in Canada, but when using .COM, the secondary "shared" members do NOT reap any other benefits of Prime OTHER than shipping. Only the person whose account is billed for Prime can access the Prime Video and cloud services. -- which with Amazon is more complicated gaining access from Canada that it is accessing US Netflix. With Amazon it's more hassle than it's worth because you need a credit card with a US billing address, and more than just a Proxy or a VPN to make it happen anyway. BUt thought it was worth mentioning, should Canada get into the additional services too...
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sun, Oct 2nd, 2016 at 02:42 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

^ Cool.

Lot of times , I guess the billing and shipping addy are different, especially if you want to send gifts.

I actually know a person with PRIME who boasts that he advertises products on Kijiji , Craigs list etc and then ships them for free via Amazon to the buyers !

He picks products that people don't know are available for cheap on Amazon or people who are not good at deals or research or don't want to pay for shipping.

Then he uses the price difference , kind of an arbitrage method.

so he basically uses Amazon as his retail store ! No inventory or shipping expenses for him.
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

...so he basically uses Amazon as his retail store ! No inventory or shipping expenses for him.
    Yea... I've heard of people doing that. I also have heard of said people getting their Prime privileges revoked... some with partial refund, but more often with no refund because they blatantly violated the terms of service. I've even heard of blatant repeat offenders (who were somehow able to sign up for Prime again at a later date) be completely banished from Amazon all together - but that's been extreme cases.

While running a business that involves reselling items and using Amazon as your supplier and/or drop-shipper is not an issue -- using Prime to do it violates the Prime terms of service. -- I was actually thinking about those instances when I was suggesting not to use alternate addresses too often in my previous post.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i should mention regarding my earlier post re: Prime Sharing... (and not that it matters here in Canada) but the secondary "shared" members do NOT reap any other benefits of Prime OTHER than shipping. Only the person whose account is billed for Prime can access the Prime Video and cloud services. -- which with Amazon is more complicated and hassle than it's worth because you need more than just a Proxy or a VPN to make it happen.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Did you get a refund ? Complain, even if its third party, I think Amazon vouches for them and guarantees on their behalf.

A friend of mine ordered 2 Cell phone cases, exact same cases for the same phone from the same third party guy. One showed up in 3-4 days. The second is yet to come, its over a month now ! He has complained to Amazon, lets see what happens.
    I did except for the latest one! But I fear that they might think I am crazy; beside its a smaller amount! What can I do if I have that bad luck.

I am trying to talk to seller to see if s/he can send me remaining items. Seller made excuses like there was a computer error.

p.s. it was this item: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Oh someone else has the same issue as me hehe
    Last edited by Arvilish; Mon, Oct 3rd, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Poorly worded. Says 18 grams shipping weight in the description. Definitely complain.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    I hate their third party items or I just have bad luck. I have bought 3 items from 3 different parties. One never showed up, 2nd was incomplete i.e. got less than 10% of the item, another was totally something different!!!

$35 SUCKS though
    Sorry this happened to you....happened to me, as well. My opinion of Amazon.ca has changed; I no longer trust them.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfiescreech View Post
    Yes !! I was charge duties when my parcel got deliver to my home .. I'll Stop buying from Amazon .. if this what their doing now .. Wow !
    Contact Amazon, I complained on my last package as it a) said 7 day delivery estimate which would reasonably not be coming from abroad which usually show 16+ days and b) did not mention that it could be subject to duties or indicate it was shipping from Singapore. They did ship right away and the weird tracking link they gave me showed it landed in Vancouver quickly but then nothing for 20 days before it arrived on day 30 after shipping and $23 in duties on it.

Amazon refunded the duties since it was not indicated it was not a domestic shipment.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Did you get a refund ? Complain, even if its third party, I think Amazon vouches for them and guarantees on their behalf.

A friend of mine ordered 2 Cell phone cases, exact same cases for the same phone from the same third party guy. One showed up in 3-4 days. The second is yet to come, its over a month now ! He has complained to Amazon, lets see what happens.
    Ok I complaint and got refund in the amount of "CDN$ 7.65" because I got 1, worth 85 cents. Anyway, seller wanted to send me '6 more pieces', which I reject.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Contact Amazon, I complained on my last package as it a) said 7 day delivery estimate which would reasonably not be coming from abroad which usually show 16+ days and b) did not mention that it could be subject to duties or indicate it was shipping from Singapore. They did ship right away and the weird tracking link they gave me showed it landed in Vancouver quickly but then nothing for 20 days before it arrived on day 30 after shipping and $23 in duties on it.

Amazon refunded the duties since it was not indicated it was not a domestic shipment.
    Thanks so much for this information FallenPixels .. Next time I orders anything from Amazon and they charges me duties fees I'm going to complain to them see what happens.. Thanks again
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

All this complaining about Amazon makes me glad that I don't buy anything from there. There is absolutely nothing on that website that I can't get in a bricks and mortar store. I have a perfectly good Indigo just around the corner from me for books and all other essentials I can find elsewhere. On a side note, I also have heard that they treat their employees like crap with completely unrealistic expectations. We have a fulfillment center in town however I would never consider working for them after hearing some of the stories.

Trading Score
    368 (100%)

The only reason I 'buy' from Amazon.ca is because of Swagbucks......
    It is frustrating at times but overall I"m happy with it and I've been able to get soooo much stuff for free
    Newfiescreech, Natalka and barbis9 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    All this complaining about Amazon makes me glad that I don't buy anything from there. There is absolutely nothing on that website that I can't get in a bricks and mortar store. I have a perfectly good Indigo just around the corner from me for books and all other essentials I can find elsewhere. On a side note, I also have heard that they treat their employees like crap with completely unrealistic expectations. We have a fulfillment center in town however I would never consider working for them after hearing some of the stories.
    There is a temping agency called SMX- Staff Management, which does most of the hiring for them. Absolutely horrible and terrible company to work for. Amazon basically uses this temping company to treat their warehouse worker's like crap at their fulfillment center.

you are basically a warehouse slave over there. The only thing missing is the WHIP, its that bad in there. You have to be a machine or robot to work there with NO emotions or feelings, and take the insults and humiliations without complaining. Ministry of Labour needs to investigate their warehouses ASAP.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Support local stores like Indigo or Chapters, instead of this Amazon crap. Trust me its more fun and a better shopping experience, and the prices are competitive too.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Support local stores like Indigo or Chapters, instead of this Amazon crap. Trust me its more fun and a better shopping experience, and the prices are competitive too.
    Chapters/Indigo are no more "local" than Amazon.ca is. Chapters/Indigo drove some (if not all) of my favorite TRULY locally-owned bookstores out of business when they came to town. Now they're the ONLY place you can go to buy books, short of the second hand bookstore... and have to put up with the wafting smell of Starbucks, trying to drive local baristas out too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information