• 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By Tweets77

Thread: ESSI canada.. contest mail !

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

so 2 days ago i got a email saying i WON a contest for 4 essi bottles !! yayay !!
    so i was sent this link

http://www.essie.ca/bthcontestwinner...ContestWinners

in which it states "congratulations! you have been selected to win a set of 4 mini essie summer collection shades. please fill in your information below so we can send the essie love your way!"

and i filled out my address and all info ..
    today i get a email saying "oops we made a mistake?! "

WTH ? !

in the email it says to make up for their mistake i was signed up for a chance to with up to 100 Essie shades..
    and was told to call a 1800 # if i had a question.. so i did .. but guess what.. # is not working saying they are under training ..
    BULL.. now i am NOT so sure if it was really Essie or some spam mail whom i sent my whole address to !

i feel so stupid!
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    Davetherave likes this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

This is not the first time they had something like this happen. A few years ago I cannot remember if it was through their website or facebook page but you could sign up for a sample offer only to find out it was trail size sample (which is fine) but you had pay shipping which was either $5.99 or $9.99 which is more then a sample bottle would cost you.
    ishyx0x likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I was wondering why there were so many winners - too bad.
    ishyx0x likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mother got sucked into a very similar offer... if not the exact same one, I dont recall the name of the company now and it was several months ago.

She too received an email advising she had won a prize of cosmetics... then was advised that there was an error in their emailing system but that she could have 'free samples' instead, just pay for the shipping.

She ordered the "samples", paid the shipping, and then 20-days later her Visa was charged over $100 each for the samples she got.

She refuted the charges with them. They told her that the samples were only 30-day samples and that she had to return them if she didnt want to keep them, otherwise be charged for them -- nothing of which was advised up front, nor in any materials they provided, nor the costs.

However further argument was that if she supposedly had 30-days to return the samples, why was she charged for them after only 20 days of them being shipped?? They said it was done "in error" and would be glad to refund her the amount IF she returned the samples at HER cost of shipping.

She called Visa regarding the fraud (since they made an unauthorized charge). Visa was VERY familiar with the company and this practice. Visa advised her to cancel the card (which she did) and a new card be issued (done).

She did return the items, using a signature-required service to track the item and the larger refund was issued... but not the original shipping charges. Visa reversed that charge for her.

In the end, my mother was out only the return shipping costs, but a lesson learned.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Oct 22nd, 2016 at 07:48 AM.
    ishyx0x likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    My mother got sucked into a very similar offer... if not the exact same one, I dont recall the name of the company now and it was several months ago.

She too received an email advising she had won a prize of cosmetics... then was advised that there was an error in their emailing system but that she could have 'free samples' instead, just pay for the shipping.

She ordered the "samples", paid the shipping, and then 20-days later her Visa was charged over $100 each for the samples she got.

She refuted the charges with them. They told her that the samples were only 30-day samples and that she had to return them if she didnt want to keep them, otherwise be charged for them -- nothing of which was advised up front, nor in any materials they provided.

However further argument was that if she supposedly had 30-days to return the samples, why was she charged for them after only 20 days of them being shipped?? They said it was done "in error" and would be glad to refund her the amount IF she returned the samples at HER cost of shipping.

She called Visa regarding the fraud (since they made an unauthorized charge). Visa was VERY familiar with the company and this practice. Visa advised her to cancel the card (which she did) and a new card be issued (done).

She did return the items, using a signature-required service to track the item and the larger refund was issued... but not the original shipping charges. Visa reversed that charge for her.

In the end, my mother was out only the return shipping costs, but a lesson learned.
    This is simply an error made by Essie.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just to be clear... I said in my first line, I dont know if it was Essie or not. However, the situation was similar, so it may have been.

I can assure you that whoever it was that my mother had dealt with, it wasn't a mistake.

Visa was well aware of the company (whoever it was) and it's practice of shipping "free items" followed by fraudulent charges. The agent from Visa practically finished the story for my mother as she was telling them on the phone, as they were familiar with the company and the scenario.

I just wanted whomever to be aware that this might happen, and to be on the alert.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Oct 22nd, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
    Thumpersmom and ishyx0x like this.

Trading Score
    314 (100%)

...darn, got the same email... thought I won something...
    Thanks for the updates!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I think they fixed this, check their facebook for an update.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Just to be clear... I said in my first line, I dont know if it was Essie or not. However, the situation was similar, so it may have been.

I can assure you that whoever it was that my mother had dealt with, it wasn't a mistake.

Visa was well aware of the company (whoever it was) and it's practice of shipping "free items" followed by fraudulent charges. The agent from Visa practically finished the story for my mother as she was telling them on the phone, as they were familiar with the company and the scenario.

I just wanted whomever to be aware that this might happen, and to be on the alert.
    That company wouldn't have been Essie, is what I'm saying to you. Essie is a huge, established brand. Again, merely a mistake on their part in this case.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    125 (100%)

wow! that really sucks!
    glad she got her money back.. less the shipping ..

She refuted the charges with them. They told her that the samples were only 30-day samples and that she had to return them if she didnt want to keep them, otherwise be charged for them -- nothing of which was advised up front, nor in any materials they provided, nor the costs.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

I received the same email and let Essie know just how I felt about the email fiasco.
    Poirot likes this.

Thread Information