User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Spoiled meat!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We had to throw out two packages of ground beef for the same reason. They were from the Superstore. If I were more orderly, I suppose I would fry it up as soon as I got home to prepare it for other meals.
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Tue, Oct 25th, 2016 at 09:07 PM. Reason: It was Atlantic Superstore

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've had the same issue a number of times with various stores so I've actually given up buying clearance meat. I buy the vast majority of my meat now from the local butcher when they have sales. I'm on an email list so I get unadvertised deals and if I really need something I can sometimes cut a deal with him when I buy 10lbs or more at a time. I tend to buy all my lean ground beef from him usually at $2.99 or 3.99 per lb. It usually works out to be cheaper than the clearance stuff anyways I just have to spend $30-40 in a single trip.

He's also got hormone free chickens so I try and get them there - I'm still sometimes tempted by the super sales at NF or FB but I find there is definitely a taste difference so as long as I'm saving $$$ with my price matching and coupons, I'll spend a little extra for some better quality meat

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

I too have had food poisoning and now am VERY careful about the meat I buy and how I cook it. I am pretty sure I somehow cross contaminated something in the kitchen when I was cooking because I was the only one who got sick Thankfully. I had a family member tell me that the store he worked at they would often repack the meat. Refused to buy meat from there that is fresh even on sale
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Here is the video - it's not just meat - they also do nasty things in the bakery dept:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...16/best-before

I stopped buying marinated fish after watching this.
    Last edited by barbis9; Wed, Oct 26th, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
    Newfiescreech and nash0109 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    Yes, that was the one.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Here is the video - it's not just meat - they also do nasty things in the bakery dept:

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...16/best-before

I stopped buying marinated fish after watching this.
    Yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvilish View Post
    Just watched that one and one about shrinking sizes. I didn't know what stores may do in the case of the 1st one, but the second one about sizes, is definitely a noticeable thing

I was at Zehrs and noticed the marinated meats as they talk about in the onee pisode and thought it was neat now i'll never buy them

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I've had so many bad experiences that now I ONLY buy fresh meat at Costco. I can separate, freezer pack, and know they will return it if I have any issues. I find they usually do a comparable unadvertised price match in store (i.e 4$ off a tray of chicken drumsticks when Sobeys has them on sale) and so I stock up. I've only only had to return ribs once.
    Keep Smiling!
    Super Mel

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I had moldy Balderson cheese from Costco and also found tiny worms in the salmon. They gave me a refund.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I have always looked at food as grey area as far as purchasing. I always buy last day meat at my local no-frills for as many years as I can think of and have tossed out a few packs of things over the years just by leaving them on the counter or even in the fridge too long before using them or freezing them.

Our policy here is that if you think it smells bad and even if you think it is bad TOSS IT

I often go trough the produce aisle while the person is restocking a particular product and watch him throw semi rotted items into a box to be disposed of. Myself I would have to say that everything that was in that display and maybe even the display itself could be contaminated

If you cant grow it or raise (and then butcher it) then. like me you are at the mercy of the stores you have decided to buy from.

If you even think it is bad TOSS IT not worth getting sick for

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Well, I must have gotten bad luck from reading this post as I believe that I may have just gotten some mild food poisoning from something I ate recently (not any clearance meats), could have been the Chinese food I had last night. Was fine this morning and started to feel unwell during my lecture at close to noon and by 3pm I was puking. Really not fun to have as I also have lecture tomorrow and a test on friday

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    Well, I must have gotten bad luck from reading this post as I believe that I may have just gotten some mild food poisoning from something I ate recently (not any clearance meats), could have been the Chinese food I had last night. Was fine this morning and started to feel unwell during my lecture at close to noon and by 3pm I was puking. Really not fun to have as I also have lecture tomorrow and a test on friday
    Feel better soon
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

Pepto??! Sorry you aren't feeling well! Feel better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Newfiescreech and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Chinese food will getcha every time!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hope you are feeling better! It sounds like it was just a bug/virus, not food poisoning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information