User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Home Hardware

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I find Home Hardware to be so annoying. First of all they never seem to have advertised items in stock - in fact I have lost track of how many times I have had to pre-pay for an item for it to be shipped to the store. Yesterday in their newest flyer they have a pest ultrasonic repeller on sale. Knowing it wouldn't be in stock (and it wasn't) I went directly to Home Hardware's website and ordered the item to be picked up in store when it was in stock. I paid for it and received an email saying they would notify me once it arrives in the store. Two hours later I get another email saying my order has been cancelled and the reason is they "don't have enough quantity" what??? I checked online and the item is still listed as available. Why advertise something that you don't have enough quantity of? Not impressed.
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Hardware
    coupongirl99 and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

www.walmart.ca lists stuff on it's website doesn't have in store or for online shopping.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry you have had trouble.
    Guess we are lucky, we have a FAB Home Hardware location.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here's the 'problem' (?) with Home Hardware... NONE of them are company owned stores. They are ALL privately owned franchises and they ALL run them independently. They can select and choose their own inventory and run them as they see fit -- which is unfortunate for you that your local store doesn't seem too keen on keeping much in the way of inventory.
    This isnt something you can blame Home Hardware (as a brand) directly for. Although it would be ideal if they had some control over their franchisees, they do not.

--

On the other note: your Ultrasonic Pest repeller... is probably a hot seller when it's more than half-off ($9.97 from $20.99)

Usually when what you experienced happens it's because the orders come in faster than they can process. They have a physical on-hand count of the item. But they have more orders pending that havent yet been processed. (In most sales system, they don't count as sold and come off the inventory until the order is final... and/or when the item is marked as shipped. Because a customer might cancel, or payment might not go through, etc). Also, some online systems do not show a necessarily "live" update of the inventory... and may only refresh every few hours, or once overnight, or some such.

Unfortunately your orders came in at the end, and when they had accounted for how many orders they had versus how many of the item they actually had your order was cancelled because it couldnt be fulfilled.

In any event, the item is currently now showing as "Out of Stock Online" (if I have the right one you're looking for, but it's the only one that's currently on sale).

So, while I feel your frustration, it can happen.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I recall going to Home Hardware the morning when some dishwasher detergent went on sale. None in stock and the end cap was empty. My guess was that employees purchased the limited quantity they had.

RE: Walmart stock.... I had a tire centre employee tell me that the website doesn't keep a very good track of stock. They had two tires in stock that weren't listed on either the website or the store's own system.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Was upset with Home Hardware the one time I went to them as a last resort for the Finish Detergent on sale a while back. NO ONE ELSE had it and it was their flyer sale so I thought I'd try them and they actually had it, but then the thing no couponer want to hear "We will not accept a coupon since it is already on sale and you're getting a great deal", I was ready to flip out, but I just left and didn't get the dishwasher detergent I was hoping for...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I've had the exact same experience with my HH. If I see something in the flyer - I try price matching it somewhere else.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I feel the same way, in my town, they are always promoting, "shop locally"! Well that's hard to do when they never have the items in the flyer, they always say we can order it, should be in in a few days, I say that's ok I'll price match at Walmart!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I called my local store and the manager said to come in and order it - I will get it eventually. May just grab the flyer and go to Walmart.
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    Was upset with Home Hardware the one time I went to them as a last resort for the Finish Detergent on sale a while back. NO ONE ELSE had it and it was their flyer sale so I thought I'd try them and they actually had it, but then the thing no couponer want to hear "We will not accept a coupon since it is already on sale and you're getting a great deal", I was ready to flip out, but I just left and didn't get the dishwasher detergent I was hoping for...
    The cashier was wrong as they get the money back for the coupon from the finish detergent company regardless of the price.
    Last edited by barbis9; Sun, Oct 30th, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
    Newfiescreech, Ciel and Poirot like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I find it best to go to one of two stores I usually visit and place/pay for the order. Unless things have changed, the stores get orders from the St. Jacobs warehouse twice per week and my order is usually filled by the next truck delivery date if I time my visit in advance of that date.

I've noticed that Cdn Tire has copied the Home Hardware's order online and pickup in store system-there was an e-mail this week when the CT catalogue was announced.
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Its kind of run like a mom & pop store. Regular folks own it as a Franchise. So its more like a hit or miss. Its more like a RadioShack of hardware store.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I like to shop at Canadian stores..not American ones.

But Canadian stores like RONA ( no longer Canadian, owned by Lowes now ) , Canadian Tire, Home Hardware do such a lousy job that you are forced to go to WM, Home Depot,Lowes etc . Same thing when Zellers was around. I wanted to give them a chance, but they were so bad you were forced into WM.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    The cashier was wrong as they get the money back for the coupon from the finish detergent company regardless of the price.
    I know, that's what made me so upset, I was trying to "reason" with her and tell her that the store gets the money back regardless, but she was having none of it. That's why I left, didn't want to deal with someone who didn't understand

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    I know, that's what made me so upset, I was trying to "reason" with her and tell her that the store gets the money back regardless, but she was having none of it. That's why I left, didn't want to deal with someone who didn't understand
    On the other hand, no retailer is REQUIRED to participate and accept manufacturer coupons. Just to put it into perspective, before a retailer gets their money back on a coupon, they have to submit their coupons to a clearing house, with a copy of each receipt that each coupon was used on to prove the purchase actually qualifies. Then the clearing house process the coupons, and submit a cheque back to the retailer for the amount of the collected coupons. It might take MONTHS before the retailer ever sees that cheque because at times they might wait until the coupons expire before they tally it all up and send you a cheque. And many clearing houses won't pay out unless the total amount is over a certain value.

Where each Home Hardware is individually owned, each store has to submit a return on the coupon to it's clearing house. (Unlike say Walmart who I suspect sends them off them to a regional or head office, where they're able to pull the transactions electronically and reprint them for submission to the clearing house). For some small operations, that effort just isnt worth it for the limited few coupons they'll receive.

Case in point: I once worked for a single, privately owned, small electronics retailer (and I mean small electronics, such as transistors, etc). In the few years I worked there, I could count maybe 3 times someone ever came in with a coupon. One I recall was for $1 off Duracell batteries. We undersold pretty much everyone on batteries because there is such a large markup on them everywhere else and we werent really a go-to place for them. The batteries we had were $3 per pack at the time (where Walmart would sell them for say $5 a pack). The $1 coupon actually made our price less than what we paid for them. We denied the coupon because in order to get our $1 back, we would have had to mail it off... which was pointless for a single coupon (if we even ever saw that $1 come back). The guy was a little cranky about it, but had he gone anywhere else, his $1 coupon would have been moot because he would have paid more than $3 for the same pack of batteries. He wound up buying them from us anyway.

As a rule, we didnt accept coupons for that reason. It was far more bothersome for us than it was worth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information