User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Credit Card rebates

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm looking for a no fee cash back credit card. What are the best ones out there?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I personally use the RBC Cash Back Mastercard as my go to card. I used to have a Scotia Bank Visa (which I still have but the percentages I get back are lower).

I choose the MC as I can use it at No Frills (which is my quick run to store in town, only other option is Sobey's which is too pricey) and now with Costco taking MC I am earning Cash Back at Costco as well which tends to be where most of our large purchases come from.

This may not be right for everyone as my main concern is Cash Back on groceries. I have an extremely small commute and unless traveling for work (which they cover the gas) I only put in maybe $20/week so Cash Back there is not a concern. I really do not put anything else on my credit cards.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

The Tangerine Mastercard seems like a great offer (wanted to get it myself, but I already have two cards and worried to cancel one to get another), it has the following cashback:

4% on three 'categories' for the first three months (categories include things like grocery stores, gas, recurring bill payments and others),
    after the three months, it is put to 2% with no limit on the amount of cash back that you can earn. However, for this option (three categories) you need to have a Tangerine savings account that they will put the cash back into, only two categories if you choose no savings account and the cash back is put against your credit card.

1% for everything else

The one disadvantage to Tangerine is that they have no real branches, they do have cafe's, kiosks and pop-up locations.

Also agree with @SassyAshley, the RBC Cash Back Mastercard seems like a good value too...

To me, these seem like the best cash back credit card around for no-fee and no premium cards (Like the PC World Elite Mastercard for example)
    Silk, mulock, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

What is the percentage cash back with the Royal Bank?
    Ciel and dededi like this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    What is the percentage cash back with the Royal Bank?
    For the RBC Cash Back Mastercard, the cash back amounts are as follows;

2% on purchases at Grocery Stores
    1% on "all other qualifying purchases and pre-authorized payments"
    No Cash Back Limit

If you are looking for a card with a big bank, this would be one of the better options, If you're just looking for the best value, regardless of the bank, Tangerine will give you more options to earn more even faster
    mulock, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I try to choose the best out of four. Two are no longer offered, but I also use the PC World Elite MC and the Tangerine MC. Somehow, I qualified for the PC card, despite not making anywhere near their minimum, but I had the regular silver PC card (1%) and they approved it. It offers 3% at the Loblaws chain of stores as well as SDM. You can purchase GC on it, which translates into a 3% savings at stores that accept gift cards purchased at SDM or the Loblaws stores (Home Depot, Amazon, HBC, etc.). I don't know if they have any promotions on it, but I signed up when they offered bonus points for signing up for the card.

Tangerine offers 2% on categories and you can pick your favourite two or three if you have the savings account. If you have someone else that you can get a joint card with, you can effectively earn 2% across 6 categories, as long as that person remembers to use it. (Argh!) Be sure to sign up through a rewards site like Great Canadian Rebates and use someone's referral code to pass along the savings. Currently, they are offering $40 cash back if you sign out through them. I think I received my card before it was offered there.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Given MBNA's move of the Cashback MasterCard into a VISA, I plan on cancelling the card on Dec 31, 2016 and replacing it with the Tangerine MasterCard.
    barbis9, Ciel and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    Given MBNA's move of the Cashback MasterCard into a VISA, I plan on cancelling the card on Dec 31, 2016 and replacing it with the Tangerine MasterCard.
    @mulock : I heard the MBNA card will be moving to VISA on December 1st. Neither me nor my spouse has received a replacement card yet.

I also plan on cancelling our four cards (main and supplementary cards).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I try to choose the best out of four. Two are no longer offered, but I also use the PC World Elite MC and the Tangerine MC. Somehow, I qualified for the PC card, despite not making anywhere near their minimum, but I had the regular silver PC card (1%) and they approved it. It offers 3% at the Loblaws chain of stores as well as SDM. You can purchase GC on it, which translates into a 3% savings at stores that accept gift cards purchased at SDM or the Loblaws stores (Home Depot, Amazon, HBC, etc.). I don't know if they have any promotions on it, but I signed up when they offered bonus points for signing up for the card.

Tangerine offers 2% on categories and you can pick your favourite two or three if you have the savings account. If you have someone else that you can get a joint card with, you can effectively earn 2% across 6 categories, as long as that person remembers to use it. (Argh!) Be sure to sign up through a rewards site like Great Canadian Rebates and use someone's referral code to pass along the savings. Currently, they are offering $40 cash back if you sign out through them. I think I received my card before it was offered there.
    PC Elite master card is based either on your total credit card usage - $24,000 or more a year or your combined household income. I tried to upgrade my PC world MasterCard today but they said no. Odd as they gave me an automatic upgrade from silver to black without me listing any income.

I plan on applying for Tangerine MasterCard and getting rid of the Sears MasterCard replacement with Scotia bank.
    Last edited by barbis9; Mon, Nov 21st, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Love Love the PC Elite MasterCard. It is my #1 card. I was offered the Tangerine card and decided not to get it since I already have all my saving accounts for this and that I like to enjoy free groceries.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    PC Elite master card is based either on your total credit card usage - $24,000 or more a year or your combined household income. I tried to upgrade my PC world MasterCard today but they said no. Odd as they gave me an automatic upgrade from silver to black without me listing any income.

I plan on applying for Tangerine MasterCard and getting rid of the Sears MasterCard replacement with Scotia bank.
    We still wouldn't meet the requirements on either criteria. There's no way we spend $24,000 or more annually. We'd have to charge daycare fees, property taxes, and all the things that don't accept CC on it to even get remotely close. I don't remember telling them what our household income is. I think they were trying to appease me because I had cancelled that silver PC MC. Is there a difference between the silver and black cards?

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

We still wouldn't meet the requirements on either criteria. There's no way we spend $24,000 or more annually. We'd have to charge daycare fees, property taxes, and all the things that don't accept CC on it to even get remotely close. I don't remember telling them what our household income is. I think they were trying to appease me because I had cancelled that silver PC MC. Is there a difference between the silver and black cards?
    Silver MasterCard is the basic one and gives you 10PC Pts/$1 and 20PC Pts/$1 at PC Travel, as well as up to 2cents/L back at Esso Stations while the Black MasterCard is the deluxe one and gives you 30PC Pts/$1 at PC Stores, SDM, PC Mobile, PC Travel, and up to 3cents/L back at Esso, and 10PC Pts/$1 everywhere else
    Silk, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb56789 View Post
    Silver MasterCard is the basic one and gives you 10PC Pts/$1 and 20PC Pts/$1 at PC Travel, as well as up to 2cents/L back at Esso Stations while the Black MasterCard is the deluxe one and gives you 30PC Pts/$1 at PC Stores, SDM, PC Mobile, PC Travel, and up to 3cents/L back at Esso, and 10PC Pts/$1 everywhere else
    I had to look it up, but there are two black MCs. There's the silver, then the black "World" card that gives 2% at PC stores and Esso, but not SDM, then there's the "World Elite" that gives 3% at PC stores, SDM, and Esso. Bit confusing.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I had to look it up, but there are two black MCs. There's the silver, then the black "World" card that gives 2% at PC stores and Esso, but not SDM, then there's the "World Elite" that gives 3% at PC stores, SDM, and Esso. Bit confusing.
    Yeah, my parents use to have the "World" mastercard, but they got an offer to upgrade to the "World Elite" card, much better value, you also can't get the "World" black mastercard anymore, only the "World Elite" card now. So wish I could get the "World Elite" card for myself, but I don't have that kind of income yet!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

That is what annoys me is the guy on the phone said it's up to MasterCard whether or not you qualify for the World Elite card. I think I will speak to someone else in customer service as I do use my card a lot at both Fortinos and Shoppers.
    Davetherave likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information