Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By anisa
  • 4 Post By lecale
  • 2 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By sweet sparrow

Thread: What modem do I buy???

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If I decide to go with a smaller internet provider where I need to purchase a modem of my own, what the heck do I purchase??

I am looking for cable modem, that performs well and will carry me through the next few years.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

The provider will have its own recommended/compatible modems that you can rent or buy from them.
    Newfiescreech, anisa, xlxo and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Are any modem brands or features more desirable?
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anisa, most often the provider selects the brand and model that is engineered to work with their network and they require you to rent/purchase it from them. (or it's simply included in the cost of the service)

If you buy a modem from a third party retailer it's usually packaged and labelled with said provider in mind. (eg Rogers or Shaw, etc) depending on your local market.

Several years ago, when I had Rogers internet in New Brunswick, we used Motorola brand modems... but in some areas, at the same time, Rogers used Lucent modems and the Motorola ones weren't compatible in different regions... nor vice-versa. You got the modem that was designed to service your locale, and at that time, you COULD buy outright (and own it) it from Rogers or buy it second hand provided it was the proper and compatible model and was originally sold by Rogers.

Also, there is different technology at use depending on the type of service. There are three 'general' types of delivered service:
    DSL - which works using your existing land-line (copper) phone service
    CABLE - which works over your coax cable TV service
    FIBRE - which requires a fibre optic line to your home. If you have an optical network terminal (ONT) in your home, you may already have fibre. In which case your phone line is not likely copper based either.

The modems required to connect to any of the above three are distinct. You cant use a modem designed for use with one type of service and expect it to work with the other.
    - You can't buy a CABLE modem and use it on a fibre-delivered service nor can you use it on a DSL service as DSL works on a signal that's runs concurrently with your phone line, not the cable line.
    - If you already have FIBRE service in your home (and you might not be aware) then you can't use DSL at all.
    - Likewise you cant use fibre based equipment on cable nor DSL... and you cant use DSL modem on fibre nor cable service.

So, for example, if the provider you plan to go with offers DSL service, and you have a Motorola CABLE modem in your hands, you're out of luck.

And again, even IF you have the right TYPE of technology for the service you are getting, if the make/model/configuration isnt compatible with that providers network, you wont be able to connect... or you're going to have some connectivity issues.

Also, the providers pretty much force you to use their equipment. So even IF you have a compatible make/model... the provider is going to require you to rent/purchase one from them anyway.
    Some providers also even register the specific physical modem to your connection and their network (by way of an electronic identifier called a MAC address)... and unless that ID matches, you may also be unable to connect to their network.

I've never heard tell of a provider (in Canada) that allows you to bring your own gear. Unless I've missed something.

What is this provider you are going with who is requesting you bring your own modem?
    rockco and dededi like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Teksavvy allows you to purchase whatever modem you like. As long as it has the specs required for their system, they don't mind if you buy outside from Canada Computers, Newegg, or the other sites. We bought ours from Teksavvy because the difference would have been between $5 - 10 and we would have had to leave the house to pick up a product that may need to be returned if defective. Not exactly toddler and pregnant lady friendly.
    rockco likes this.

Thread Information