Like Tree22Likes
  • 5 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 5 Post By Midnightly
  • 3 Post By bhlombardy
  • 4 Post By bhlombardy
  • 3 Post By barbis9
  • 1 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Why are we blaming the product??

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm getting tired of these complaints that seem to blame the "laundry pod" as the reason that some kid got harmed in some way from coming into contact with one...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/health...udy/index.html

Seriously... WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?

Why would you EVER let your kids have access to laundry detergent... IN ANY FORM? Liquid, powder, pod... it's POISON!

This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    strew, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't think the article is blaming laundry pods, it's just talking about a study that shows a lot of kids get hurt by them, and what to do in case of injury. The fact that they need a study at all shows that there is a problem with parents not thinking that laundry pods are worth keeping away. You are right, the parents need to be responsible with every chemical whether in liquid, powder or pod form
    Ciel likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i remember when they first came out... simple bag.. little to no warnings other small generic on every laundry soap.. then tide mailed out warning stickers to help seal the containers better.. and recently i think tide changed the packaging again so it is harder to get the plastic container of them open (kinda like a child lock)

i agree with you..a company shouldn't have to keep putting larger and larger warnings and child locks on it's containers as if they are medications.. parents should know enough to always keep them on a high shelf, keep them IN the laundry room/closet out of sight... not in arms reach of a kid.. and also educate kids young and keep repeating "this is not a toy, this is not candy, this is dangerous do not touch" you wouldn't leave knives on the counter(or heck in the below counter drawer) without strongly informing your kids they are dangerous and can hurt you (my kid gets tired of me telling her "these are tools not toys, you have to respect them and be careful" )
    strew, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I don't think the article is blaming laundry pods, it's just talking about a study that shows a lot of kids get hurt by them, and what to do in case of injury.

The fact that they need a study at all shows that there is a problem with parents not thinking that laundry pods are worth keeping away. You are right, the parents need to be responsible with every chemical whether in liquid, powder or pod form
    So true, it does read at first (somewhat) as if this new "pod" thing has become a problem, versus being more stern reporting that parenting and in-home control of these products are the issue here.
    barbis9, Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    i remember when they first came out... simple bag.. little to no warnings other small generic on every laundry soap.. then tide mailed out warning stickers to help seal the containers better.. and recently i think tide changed the packaging again so it is harder to get the plastic container of them open (kinda like a child lock)

i agree with you..a company shouldn't have to keep putting larger and larger warnings and child locks on it's containers as if they are medications.. parents should know enough to always keep them on a high shelf, keep them IN the laundry room/closet out of sight... not in arms reach of a kid.. and also educate kids young and keep repeating "this is not a toy, this is not candy, this is dangerous do not touch" you wouldn't leave knives on the counter(or heck in the below counter drawer) without strongly informing your kids they are dangerous and can hurt you (my kid gets tired of me telling her "these are tools not toys, you have to respect them and be careful" )

Agreed. Regardless of how/where you store these items (which is key as well), instructing children what to touch/and NOT to touch is also essential. I dont know how my parents did it, but I was able survive a poison-free life growing up in the 70s. Something about my upbringing told me to never ingest soap and other chemicals. And oddly enough, they stored stuff within my reach (it was the 70s, you know). In my youth, there was a box of Tide on a shelf by the washer with the cardboard lid half torn off and unsealed. Yet, I somehow resisted the urge to dip my hand in there and eat it.

Not sure where the training was there but if they were able to do it with me (and my three other brothers), not sure why parents today can't.

More to my earlier point, I now see the recent Tide ads (you mentioned) where they've "had to"(?) redesign the containers and packaging to make them more difficult to get into. I'm somewhat glad to see that PG have taken an initiative and addressed the problem, but they shouldnt have to. I just HOPE they weren't forced to by a court because of some litigious parent whose poor kid suffered some sorry fate.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I also think because the pods are so colourful and you can squeeze them which makes it more fun to a child.
    Ciel, seylz_gurl and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Kids will want to try things more when they are told no. It's a learning thing and a challenge especially when doing an endrun around a parent with turned back or distraction. However there are some kids that won't or cannot stay away from things and that means the adults have to make the effort to safely secure but we know some adults would rather rant at the children or discipline them instead of teaching them why some things are off limits and what can happen if they eat that, spill that, touch that.

But-some parents don't always want to be the sole adult teaching and educating the offspring while other parents/partners just relax or mock and other adults give their opinions. It takes a village to raise a child and that village does not always work as a team. Who really wants to spend all their waking hours saying no, do this and stop! It wipes out one's sense of self.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes I think that is the issue. They look like squeeze toys, and the fact that they are more concentrated means more chemical in smaller package
    Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I also think because the pods are so colourful and you can squeeze them which makes it more fun to a child.
    Ciel likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Thread Information