User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JDI007
  • 1 Post By JDI007

Thread: What driving school would you recommend?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm currently saving up for my drivers license. It is not cheap! =(

I've heard a lot of bad stories where teachers yell at you and whatnot and sometimes they don't speak english very well and it's hard to learn...all sorts of things like that...that I don't want, because I am paying for this and I want to get the best experience as possible. I don't want to fail my test because someone is making me feel uncomfortable by yelling or I cannot understand them because they don't speak english very well(not trying to be rude/sorry!)

Also, some people say that some school's don't teach you everything you need to know, how can that be? don't you need to know everything to get a license? don't they teach the same things at every driving school?

So what driving school would you recommend?

I am considering Unipol, is this a good idea? yay or nay?
    /someone on reviews said they don't teach you to drive on highways? that's impossible though...that's part of the course...and you need to know this.

I noticed some school's cost more, over $900...that is nuts! don't think I'm going to pay a thousand dollars for my license...why different price if you're learning the same thing everywhere? does it just depend on the school/they charge how much they want?

Anywho, I just want to go to a driving school that will give me a good experience with teachers and where I can learn everything I need to know.

Should I go to Unipol? that is where I am considering at the moment.
    what would you guys recommend?

-Thank you!

(I'm in Hamilton East, I do not want anything up the mountain)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by JDI007; Mon, Jan 30th, 2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Last edited by JDI007; Wed, May 31st, 2017 at 08:51 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Canadian Tire Driver's Academy is not operating in the Hamilton area but is available in St. Catherines.
    http://driversacademy.canadiantire.ca/en.html#locations

Sorry to hear that you won't go to Hamilton Mountain-that is where Young Drivers of Canada has their offices and likely in-class part of the course. The driving instructors come to your location for your lessons. I'd recommend doing your in-class stuff as a one week cluster (I see two weekend options now) to get them done prior to the start of your in-car lessons. Not sure if standard instruction is readily available but there are always instructors for automatic instruction.

I don't see the address for the Stoney Creek location of YD. The third option is Hamilton downtown.
    https://www.yd.com/locations/on/stoney-creek/courses
    The FAQ mentions there is 3-part financing option-must talk to a YD rep.
    https://www.yd.com/frequently-asked-questions#1047

I took YD in 1989 (gave up my licence in 2015) by attending one week of classes downtown then getting in-car lessons (some pickups were at my college campus after classes were done, other pickups were from home). I did not have any practice at home-80s cars were bigger (Dad was still working and driving) and my brother's car was a standard (and I could not get standard instruction when I asked at registration so got trained for automatic transmission cars only). I liked the classes-we had a workbook too. In-car-lessons were good and the threshold driving one was interesting-we did that in an industrial park using small pylons. I recall having to plan a driving route for one lesson-did that on Hamilton Mountain. Not sure if that is still part of in-car training. If you read the full course package, the road test is included (YD will make the booking for you). You'll need a car for the test-think YD will provide the instructor's car or ask YD. Besides, when you graduate from YD, there is an insurance discount.

Do you have access to someone's car to practice driving? Roads are so busy now and the Linc is very speedy.

*Important-if you will not have your own car, whose car insurance will you be on? Or will you be getting your own insurance policy? Because all licensed drivers in a household have to be insured-and depending on how money matters are discussed in your home, you may be allowed onto other members' policies or you will be expected to pay for your own policy or portion of fee if put onto another member's policy. So if the money for insurance is not planned for, delay the driving course for now but save money.*
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Feb 5th, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is a lot..I don't get why it is not just all included in one package, you need to know those things? or is it just a way for them to make money, there are 3 packages, one has night driving/gravel(should be included in all packages) and the other has road test which also should be included, are those things that are not included in the first package? everyone drives at night at some point as well as on gravel..:/ $1140 is nuts to me..for driving school, my dad said he never paid anywhere near that amount when he was getting his license, which I know was a while ago but still, the prices are insane.
    So, they don't teach you automatic and standard? does that go for all school's? I don't understand why, isn't that something you should know..what if you drive different cars? ...so you have to go back to driving school and take a separate test for that? ...that's nuts.
    Last edited by JDI007; Wed, May 31st, 2017 at 08:50 PM.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Keep saving and don't plan on taking the courses yet. I don't know what kind of people training the other academies provide their instructors but YD instructors are fairly level-headed and not likely to yell during an in-car session.

Since you mention car/insurance will take awhile to save for, keep using transit or footpower. There are days I do miss driving but not often enough to want to be in traffic jams.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information