User Tag List

Like Tree21Likes
  • 6 Post By Buddyboy546
  • 4 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By Lynn49
  • 2 Post By walkonby
  • 4 Post By Natalka
  • 2 Post By Buddyboy546

Thread: What has happened to men's denim jeans?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Jeans fulfill many purposes, both social and in the workplace. They are such an essential piece of clothing that you'd think companies would not mess with them too much. Well, that sure isn't the case. In my late 60s I like my jeans to be comfortable and well fitting. Some time ago I noticed that my back pockets seemed lower than before so that sitting down on my wallet meant it now dug into my butt, right in a most uncomfortable way. Then I realized that the waistline on jeans was dropping and, along with it, the rear pockets. I used to get my jeans at Costco. Their jeans were good quality and at a good price. Now you cannot buy men's jeans at Costco in any fit in which the waist does not reveal the "plumber's crack", they are so low. Costco confirmed they no longer sell men's jeans without a lowered waist because that's what the public want. Well, I can see a lot of people want to be chic and wear the latest trend, but I cannot believe I am alone in detesting the zero supply of comfortable jeans. I have looked everywhere locally and found no supplier of "proper" jeans. I have written to Levi's and asked them. They confirmed they do not supply the "old style" full waisted jeans. I have looked on-line and found that, yes, full waisted jeans are available at over $200 a pair. That compares with the approximately $12 - $15 I used to pay at Costco.

Am I alone in detesting this change? Is there a source / brand of jeans I should be turning to without getting into the fashion-priced market? Surely all workmen who wear jeans do not want the low waist styles that are now the Hobson's choice in retail stores, even Marks Work Wareouse.
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Mark's
    Ciel, seylz_gurl, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My husband needs a high waist also, he gets his jeans from Marks - they often go on sale - last time was 2 pairs for 50, plus we had a coupon.

https://www.marks.com/en/categories/...331.html#34331[color]=STNWSH

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Real men wear Wrangler...lol....yup, no low waists on those puppies!
    walkonby, Buddyboy546 and dededi like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Real men wear Wrangler...lol....yup, no low waists on those puppies!
    ya beat me to that Lynn!! My DH is that way too @Buddyboy546 , keep looking at other retailers, I guess Costco has lost your business now when it comes to jeans.
    Lynn49 and dededi like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

^ Ah, maybe that's why our son wears Wranglers - gets them at WM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Agree, especially for work. DH loved the Tommy Hilfiger jeans that Costco sold about 3 years back (fashionable but a practical cut), purchased some this year but the cut was completely changed so back they went. Gap jeans were another 'go to' jean for him but they reconfigured those too, they aren't as heavy cloth anymore either. Wish they would keep the old line rather than make them all 'fashion' jeans.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Marks Work Wearhouse has them. And shop online. It's much easier to find what you want, plus you don't have to try on 14 pairs.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

OP, you get my issue with many women's pants that have waistlines lower than one's natural waist or are sometimes high-waisted. I think the intent is to compell women to keeping coming into the stores on faint hope they'll find something to buy that is in fashion but still fits and lasts (well, I should start laughing now).
    Try secondhand stores-Value Village might have some old finds still with good wear if they have a couple of different locations. Try other thrift shops too.
    TSC stores might be of help too: http://www.tscstores.com/Work-Jeans-C1303.aspx

Remember, Costco's main demographic are the 30s-40s men who will help buy stock on skids within 48h of them being placed on sales floors. Not sure if HQ has expanded from that setpoint as many women shop there too. But a newspaper article mentioned the male demographic and if stuff sells to that group, it is reordered.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh dear. Things are pretty bad when one is prodded to shop at used clothing stores. I checked out Wrangler jeans and they seem to be traditional quality and fit. They now have my business. Thanks for the suggestion re Wranglers. Advice like this is what makes the Web so valuable.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyboy546 View Post
    Oh dear. Things are pretty bad when one is prodded to shop at used clothing stores. I checked out Wrangler jeans and they seem to be traditional quality and fit. They now have my business. Thanks for the suggestion re Wranglers. Advice like this is what makes the Web so valuable.
    You can literally tell the decades of some styles of clothing and some pieces have the same name label so that could be an estate or downsizing situation. Some older clothing has been spotted in womenswear and I'm sure menswear has its own gems too (more fabric by the way).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information