User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: My LAST Yves Rocher shower gel ever! It's evil!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm in the process of trying to have heathier alternatives to the chemical laden products that we normally use in our homes and I was shocked to find "Sodium LAURYL Sulphate" in my Yves Rocher Jardins du Monde, Lotus shower gel!
    And they market their products as "natural"?!

Although it's been touted as causing cancer, it has not been proven. What HAS been proven is that it's a skin irritant that causes canker sores in the mouth (it's in most toothpastes)...why on earth would I use something that could do THAT to one's body?!

I just purchased a shower gel, IVORY brand "Water Lily", and found the same chemical in IT!
    IVORY!! So disappointing!

My eyes are so bad that even with glasses I couldn't read it properly until just now, with my magnifying glass.

If I find the bill, it's going back. If not...I guess I'll use it or try to return it anyway.

My search continues........................

I just looked up Olay's Fresh Outlast Energizine Lime & White Tea Body Wash and although it doesn't contain the "lauryl" sulphate, it does contain the less deadly "lauryth" sulphate which still isn't exactly natural or healthy. I may have to resort back to soap or make my own shower gel using liquid castile soap; there are lots of recipes out there for them and it's much less expensive to make your own.

Still searching............
    This thread is currently associated with: Yves Rocher, Olay, Guess
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
    ROMEO and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Oh, great. I just checked Olay's "ribbons" moisturizing shower gel and it contains sodium lauryl sulphate.
    So...knocking that off my list.
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I found my (and anyone else here who wants a better alternative to chemical laden washes) new body wash!!

Hope this was of some help to someone.

Kirkland Signature Natural Citrus Body Wash, 2-pack, 27 oz. each

Your Price9.99$

Features:
    • Natural Citrus Scent
    • For Use in Shower and Bath
    • Paraben, Sulfate, and Gluten Free
    • Not Tested on Animals
    • Biodegradable

I got scared for a moment when I read a particular ingredient on its label, but apparently I need not be concerned:
    What is Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate?

Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate is a water soluble, coconut derived, surfactant that also happens to be sulfate-free. Not to be confused with similar sounding sodium lauryl sulfate, this ingredient is an incredibly mild surfactant, and is considered to be one of the safest on the market.

Last edited by Lynn49; Fri, Mar 3rd, 2017 at 06:30 PM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's not a recognized carcinogen, but can be an irritant for sure.

Check these products - and others; it's all about the concentration used.

Soaps
    Shampoos
    Bubble-baths
    Tooth paste
    Washing-up liquid / dish soap
    Laundry detergent
    Childrens soaps / shampoos
    Stain Remover
    Carpet Cleaner
    Fabric glue
    Body wash
    Shave cream
    Mascara
    Mouthwash
    Skin cleanser
    Moisture lotion / Moisturiser
    Sun Cream

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...l-sulfate1.htm

Definitely a tough go to find things which are chemical-free. Good for you, Lynn, for being on this journey!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thank you, @Natalka, but personally, I'm going to err on the side of safety.
    There's no reason for it or it's 'cousin' to be in body washes or shampoos except for the lathering it contributes to those products. Everyone wants "fluffy", "bubbly" washes when it's not necessary. Even water and baking soda is enough to clean hair! But it's not fruity-smelling or particularly convenient, and I know, because I use occasionally as a secondary wash for my white hair; it helps get rid of any yellowing which the environment kindly delivers to us.

• Carcinogenic nitrosamines can form in the manufacturing of sodium lauryl sulfate or by its inter-reaction with other nitrogen-bearing ingredients within a formulation utilizing this ingredient.
    • Other studies have indicated that sodium lauryl sulfate enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact. This poses the question whether it could be a serious potential health threat from its use in shampoos, cleansers, and toothpastes.
    • Still other research has indicated sodium lauryl sulfate may be damaging to the immune system, especially within the skin. Skin layers may separate and inflame due to its protein denaturing properties.

http://www.healthy-communications.co...20steinman.htm

barbis9, VeeVee and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I`ve noticed a lot of laundry soaps, dish soaps with that in it as well... Seventh generation and clorox "Green cleaners"

According to SG

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Cleaning agent Plant-derived, Biodegradable

Lynn49, barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@Candini , yes, it's the "bubbly" factor that everyone wants in their products...nice, and I also enjoy that, but in reality, there have been suggestions that SLS is harmful to the environment.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/enviro...own-the-drain/

As far as SLS is concerned, since it's been found to cause mouth ulcers/cankers, I think I'll just leave it on the store shelves. Personally, anything that can pose that kind of physical condition, while it may not be proven to cauce cancer just yet (yet!), that's enough of a reason for me to stop using it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I first read this as Ferro Rocher. I was like what, there's chocolate hazelnut body wash?
    Natalka, Lynn49, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I first read this as Ferro Rocher. I was like what, there's chocolate hazelnut body wash?
    Here you go, @Zonny !

Zonny and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I just received a reply from Vitabath....no sulphates or parabens in their body washes!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Buy Live Clean to avoid sulfates. I use bar soap, but like Live Clean shampoo because it's sulfate free. Some ofthe higher end organic ones are too. It's not the best for the environment or your skin.

Also, it's a Canadian company so you're helping the economy. They sometimes have coupons
    ROMEO, Lynn49, barbis9 and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    I just received a reply from Vitabath....no sulphates or parabens in their body washes!
    Yes but Vitabath products have lots of fragrance and they don't have to say what makes up the "fragrance" listing on the back of the label. I would be more concerned about that. Companies are exempt from explaining what makes up the scent of a product. If you are concerned I would go fragrance free.
    Last edited by barbis9; Wed, Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Lynn49 and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Love their bodywash but so expensive.
    Lynn49 and barbis9 like this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Yes but Vitabath products have lots of fragrance and they don't have to say what makes up the "fragrance" listing on the back of the label. I would be more concerned about that. Companies are exempt from explaining what makes up the scent of a product. If you are concerned I would go fragrance free.
    Yep, there's that fragrance component to think of, @barbis9 , and when I buy a fragrance-free product like that I always put in some of the essential oils I bought while in Egypt...4 big bottles of different scents, cost a bundle but there are no fragrances like it anywhere here... I can't even begin to think what that would cost here, when a 5ml bottle of sandalwood can cost $50-$60 dollars and more if it's an essential oil!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Love their bodywash but so expensive.
    @macw1960 , I sometimes see them at Winners or Marshalls here; few and far between, but they do pop up sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information