User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By Ciel
  • 1 Post By JDI007

Thread: Anyone know of any eye places/eye doctors that do physical eye exams?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

-In Hamilton?

I'm looking for an eye place/eye doctor that tests not just your sight but also the health of your eyes etc?

Can someone please recommend me a good place? I'm in desperate need.

(nothing up the mountain if possible)

Any eye doctor/eye place that tests the health of your eyes.

-Thank you!

(no lenscrafters)
    This thread is currently associated with: LensCrafters
    Last edited by JDI007; Thu, Mar 16th, 2017 at 11:13 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The computerized imaging component is offered by doctors for a fee. That helps the eye doctors look at the condition of various parts of the eyes.
    Not sure which doctor will handle your eyes for a check. Sounds like a referral?
    Unless you have a preexisting eye condition and you're between 18 and 65, you will have to pay out of pocket for an eye test/examination-OHIP does not cover eye exams unless one is those two age ranges or someone between 18-65 has an existing eye condition (OHIP will cover the regular eye test, not the Optomap portion). You might wish to find out which eye doctor in your area is offering Optomap imaging-that is a separate fee from the regular eye testing fee.

You're looking at about $130. I understand there may be eye doctors doing $85 eye exams but you have to decide what's important to you.
    JDI007 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know it if it's extra because usually when you go to an eye doctor and pay(if it's out of pocket) then it's all included in the price? or maybe that's just how my previous eye place did it, my previous eye place did not tell me it was extra, but I didn't mind/or care about the price becuase them checking my eye health is important to me which is why now I'm looking specifically at places that do this as well as checking sight.

Don't think a referral is necessary..shouldn't be, last place I went they just took a photo of my eye/inside of my eye and they told me if it was healthy etc etc, informed me about eye diseases and what they might look like if I had any, any spots on my eyes what they mean, if normal etc etc../that I really liked! makes me wonder why all places don't offer this? to me that's very important, or if it is separate why don't they bring it up at your appointment? so you can make a choice to get it? because I have never heard of them doing this until my last place did it without me asking..but is really informative and something I would like to continue getting done in addition to getting my sight checked.

Is that what it's called Optomap imaging? I've heard different terms.
    That's what I'm trying to find out, which places in my area have them, not sure how to find that out...I don't even know all of the eye doctors in my city :/
    I doubt a Hakim Optical would offer this? I have no idea how and where to start searching..
    was hoping if someone was here from Hamilton and has their eyes checked and get's the imaging thing done I could go there.
    I just want to go to somehwer where I can get it done, no matter the cost.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/public/

Under Public is the Find an Optometrist option.

Yellow Pages listings. Plenty of medical arts buildings along Queenston Rd.
    http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...milton%2C%20ON
    If the local Hakim Optical has an optometrist on site (private practice), then you can make an appt. with him/her. Chances are the eye doctor may have more than one office (like the Costco eye doctors) so don't expect to have all days in the week to choose from for an appointment-more likely there will be certain days or afternoons available (I say this as a local eyewear store in town seems to have a different optometrist after every two years (not sure if there are not enough clients or some other issue). Or find an eye clinic. Malls have eye doctors.

Cool-the Optomap website seems to have a practice search for doctors using the imaging program. http://www.optomap.com/
    Last edited by Ciel; Mon, Mar 20th, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
    JDI007 likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

So,the opto imaging website doctor search, does it only show private doctors/places?
    because the place I went to a couple years ago for example is not showing up.
    I wonder is it showing everything, what about chain eye places, like Hakim? Pearle vision, vision clinic etc etc? some of them just have doctor names but not the place they are at?
    for ex. 999 upper wentworth is limeridge mall, there's tons of eye doctors there but they don't specify which one at the mall it is. none of them do, they just say the doctors name. no specific location/building name.
    (I'd probably have to call and ask)

It's hard to believe that in Hamilton (not incl. mountain) there is only 1 doctor who does opto imaging? :/ according to opto imaging website..not sure I believe that.
    don't know how the map works but I'm sure there's more than just..4..in the whole city. :/

Thank you for the yelp search, not all optometrists do opto imaging, but I did find one place center of barton that say they do "retinal imaging" I'm assuming is the same thing? so many names for it.. how does this place not show up on opto imaging website then? I'm so confused by this. :/
    Another place says they do "Comprehensive Eye Exam"
    I would have to call these places and ask.

There's so much more eye places in Stoney Creek, kind of sucks, it's out of my range.

I wish all eye places did everything.

So, the college of Optom. is also where people file complaints? does that ever do anything?
    because I have been to a couple places with very bad experience, one place scammed me another place refused to give me a prescription....do things ever get resolved? I just read the FAQ's and it sounds a lot like going through court...you send your letter to optometrist, and another to investigating people, everyone reviews, replies, determines your outcome, there's a committee...and they decide what to do, all controlled by government, they tell optometrist to continue an educating program ....or if they don't agree with you they will decline your complaint..

this is really rough, I don't think any of these issues are what has happened in my case for example. I don't want them to take an education course, what is that going to resolve? I want what is mine(prescription) or I want my money back(scam).. I don't think this would be very useful to me..unfortunately I do encounter problems because people lie and they take advantage of you and take your money and continue to lie..

Is there another place to report these things to? if they happen again?

Thank you for the search list! not sure which doctors are good and truthful and which ones aren't..but will check some places out, from the yelp search of the ones that do opto imaging/retinal imaging there's one on center of barton I might check there first.
    I wish there was more of an easier search, I don't think the opto imaging map is showing everything.

/Thank you! I can't believe how hard it is to get this thing done, all eye places should have them in my opinion, would make life easier : )
    Last edited by JDI007; Sun, Mar 26th, 2017 at 06:22 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Optometry is one of the regulated professions in Ontario so yes, the College of Optometrists of Ontario website is the gateway to any compliments, concerns or complaints you want the college to know about their registered professionals. The profession has their own regulatory act in Ontario, so optometrists' employment conditions are covered under their specific Act (not the Employment Act) and the college deals with professional issues/investigations. As for the doctor listings-all licenced eye doctors in Ontario are on the registry. Some of the doctors work in the Costco optical depts-you can tell by the addresses as at least two local doctors work at two locations. Not sure why any retail name or clinic name is not necessarily shown with practising doctors' names.

Retinal imaging-I'm sure that there are different computer imaging software/hardware systems for eyes. I only know of Optomap because that is what my doctor uses. The doctor listings on Optomap sites are for the doctors that use the Optomap software in their practices.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So retinal imaging is not the same as opto imaging? Oh, I thought it was. /Yes, I've noticed they only list doctors names but not all the locations they are at, so I guess I would have to call and ask which locations they are available at? they should be able to tell me. /Hoping this all goes well.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information