User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Walmart charging 5 cents a bag

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I never pay WM or any store for plastic bags, been toting my reusable ones for a long time. Our WM in Ontario has been charging for them for a while now.
    ROMEO, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

In Ontario they have been charging for awhile but even if you use your own bags they bag it for you.

Lately I have been using the self check out more and more as it easier.

I have a couple times had it where I had bags and they still used plastic and in those cases when the cashier realized what they did they did not charge for the bags as they called it their error.
    barbis9, Ciel and dededi like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

BC got charged for bags first around Feb at WM; my local WM started to charge around May. The order pickup service started about two months ago and there are 4 dedicated signed parking spots for the customers picking up their orders. (When Longos had its store opening, someone cleverly had a Grocery Gateway delivery truck parked by the exit with a second person handing out code postcards to entice customers/visitors to try GG online.) I'm certain there will be local residents using GG over the winter-I want to join that bunch when I get a credit card.

The one customer upside to the store reno (WM) is that there are two conveyor belts like Food Basics' ones at each cash checkout to help customers have space/time to bag their purchases. Also for the cashiers, they don't have to reach down below waist level anymore to pack orders or twist to deposit bags into that lower landing area, so from a health & safety viewpoint, they got an upgrade. Who does not like the conveyor belt button to move down their purchases? Think kids will get a kick using it if adults ask for their help to bag their stuff.
    The self checkout lanes have the low and small bagging area next to the scanner/payment terminal-watch your back!

Currently Longos Ancaster has no bag charge (this is the 60th anniversary year; maybe 2017 will change that bag policy). The store sells various sizes of colourful totes for groceries plus at least two sizes of insulated bags.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Dec 9th, 2016 at 12:41 PM.
    ROMEO and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In other similar discussions I've balked at the notion that charging for plastic bags "is for the environment".

NO! -- if your company was THAT dedicated to the environment, you'd remove the plastic bags entirely and make people use cloth/reusable bags.

Granted, if you're a major retailer, you don't make such a transition overnight. You have a period of grace between when you announce the change and then phase them out. You then offer your own branded re-usable bags at a discount during that period. With the store's logo emblazoned on the side of them, this serves as brand awareness wherever customers go with them... even (or especially) if they use them at other stores.

Then eventually, *POOF*... plastic shopping bags are GONE! (Environmental) Problem solved.

-

Costco doesnt provide plastic bags and they seem to do OK. And if you've ever done any extensive shopping in the US, you'll notice that many other stores do the same. Other wholesale clubs like BJ's and Sam's Club (a Walmart company) don't provide bags either. And some smaller grocery stores in the US will only sell you re-usable bags. So we know it's not about people not shopping where disposable bags arent provided.

But why would retailers here (who claim they're for the environment) stop offering plastic bags completely, when they can instead charge 5c apiece for them and turn what is (and remains to be) an overhead cost into a pure-profit surcharge at the register??

It should be known that retailers are STILL writing plastic bags off as an overhead cost. Plastic bags are NOT inventoried, and are NOT subject to sales records nor reporting. So not only are they getting 5c at the register, they're also getting written off against the store's profits. This means that the store still reaps the tax-break. Stores have been given NO incentive to eliminate plastic bags, but rather now a permit to reap extra revenue by selling them.

From the retailer perspective, it's not about the environment. It's a cash grab. They lose NOTHING if you dont take their bag (nor pay the 5c) -- but they reap that profit whenever someone does.

While charging for plastic bags MAY influence a reduction in their consumption, let's be honest... if you REALLY want to see a reduction in plastic bags. STOP USING THEM COMPLETELY.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Dec 10th, 2016 at 06:49 AM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Well, paper grocery bags don't seem to have come back. I'm surprised the LCBO has not dropped them but then again, not everyone is keen to carry their purchases in a wine box, esp. if walking or taking the bus.
    barbis9 likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I have strictly been using reusable bags for 8 years, so every plastic bag I get is precious (because sometimes I need one to give away stuff to someone, and now I never seem to have one.)

The only free bags I get from anywhere are from the Dollarama and Dollar Tree and Giant Tiger. lol so any time I give something to someone, they have to carry it away in the bag of the lowest cheapest stores out there.

Hmmm, maybe I should splurge and buy some "classy" Zehrs bags or something because I'll be sending people away soon with xmas gifts.
    ROMEO, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I prefer Giant Tiger's take on the plastic bags - their bags are free BUT if you bring your own reusable bags they will actually give you a .05 credit per bag.
    barbis9, Ciel, Poirot and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupongirl99 View Post
    I prefer Giant Tiger's take on the plastic bags - their bags are free BUT if you bring your own reusable bags they will actually give you a .05 credit per bag.
    The credit sounds like a deal without the need for a membership card-score!
    @bhlombardy -yesterday I saw a Fortino's shopper with a large cream coloured bucket type tote bag (canvas or insulated plastic) with handles and Costco's name against a black bar across the bag. Don't know if the bag is from US or Cdn stores-first time seeing it.
    barbis9 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    The credit sounds like a deal without the need for a membership card-score!
    @bhlombardy -yesterday I saw a Fortino's shopper with a large cream coloured bucket type tote bag (canvas or insulated plastic) with handles and Costco's name against a black bar across the bag. Don't know if the bag is from US or Cdn stores-first time seeing it.
    @Ciel I have seen those... they are from the US and are insulated with a zippered closure to keep cold things cold OR hot things hot. The US also has the usual green open-top bags like we have as well.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I have noticed that since they have started charging for bags - they are getting thinner and are not reusable like before.

I agree with @bhlombardy this is a huge money grab - when you ask which "charity" this money is supposedly going to nobody seems to know. My local Shoppers charges at the front cash for bags but the pharmacy gives them out for free, which makes no sense. I truly believe it is just another profit grab for these companies - where they write off plastic bags as the cost of doing business. I am surprised they haven't started charging for the plastic bags that you use for bakery and fruits and vegetables.....is that next?
    Last edited by barbis9; Fri, Mar 17th, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Ciel, Poirot and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    I have noticed that since they have started charging for bags - they are getting thinner and are not reusable like before.

I agree with @bhlombardy this is a huge money grab - when you ask which "charity" this money is supposedly going to nobody seems to know. My local Shoppers charges at the front cash for bags but the pharmacy gives them out for free, which makes no sense. I truly believe it is just another profit grab for these companies - where they write off plastic bags as the cost of doing business. I am surprised they haven't started charging for the plastic bags that you use for bakery and fruits and vegetables.....is that next?
    Shhhh, don't give them any ideas
    barbis9, Ciel and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I like when I get the rare, cool cashier that thinks the fee is a bunch of crap (or just doesn`t care/or forgets) and doesn`t charge for bags
    Ciel and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    I like when I get the rare, cool cashier that thinks the fee is a bunch of crap (or just doesn`t care/or forgets) and doesn`t charge for bags
    Some student cashiers at Fortinos and Shoppers are that nice about a bag!
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

^ Yep, a rare gem indeed!
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got stopped at the door by a WM security guard because I had a large bag of cat food that wasn't bagged like the rest of my items. I was really mad! First they charge their customers for bags and then randomly accuse them of theft because they don't use them. And of all the things to accuse me of stealing!
    GoJays, Linda Evans and dededi like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information