User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Gas...Canadian Tire? Petro Canada? Shell?

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I was just wondering where you all gas up and why? I used to go to Petro Canada for many years (using the Petro points card) but, since we've moved a few years ago, my son asks me to gas up at Shell for the Air Miles rewards. Now I'm thinking Canadian Tire might be more worth it for the CT dollars since there's always a coupon in the flyer for a minimum of 7x CT dollars. I fill up for approx. 100$ per week. Would CT be my best bet? Has anyone done the math to see which program is most rewarding?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canadian Tire, Petro Canada, Shell
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Since we got the new civic from Honda last November, I have been using the $1000 in gas cards that they gave away for Petro Canada. Once these finish, I got to either Shell or CT since the AM and CT money is a better deal than Petro points.

I don't have credit cards, so I can't tell you about those.
    snuffaluffagus likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Thank you, Georgia. I think I'm liking the idea of going to CT as it's most simple to use the CT dollars right away rather than having to collect points and redeem them. Especially now that summer is arriving with all the gardening work. Have you noticed if Canadian Tire is at par in terms of gas prices with other gas stations in the area?

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

We use Shell for AM & sometimes CT too!
    snuffaluffagus likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Carly, Georgia, do you know what the % of return is in CT money to real dollars?

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My husband and I get gas at Petro Canada - every once in a while, there's enough points for a gift card. We're not really there for the points - it's great quality gas.

Son gets his at CT - he likes the CT money! It's okay gas for his old beater.

As for prices, here everything costs the same no matter where you go (drat!).

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

We've been using Esso's Esso Points. DH fills up 3 times per week, when the tank is half full. I think it wouldn't work out to less than $20 per year at Shell, but we've earned over $10 this year at Esso. I'm not sure what the return is on Petro Points or CT money though.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Snuff, here is a chart that I found on their website:
    Name:  eng_chart.jpg
Views: 5574
Size:  100.2 KB

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I get my gas @ Canadian Tire, I usually get about $2 in CT money and I spend $40 ish to fill my car, when I go to Superstore I only get about $1.20 and the super bucks expire or I lose them.

Trying to fill my center console with CT money for Christmas
    Natalka likes this.
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Thank you, Georgia. I think I'm liking the idea of going to CT as it's most simple to use the CT dollars right away rather than having to collect points and redeem them. Especially now that summer is arriving with all the gardening work. Have you noticed if Canadian Tire is at par in terms of gas prices with other gas stations in the area?
    CT gas prices are on par with other gas stations, at least on the west island.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

snuffaluffagus

Cdn Tire with a gas bar is not the closest thing to me but Petro Can is, and since I have their Mastercard giving me the 2 cents off/litre coupled with their
    " gas savings card " giving me 5 cents off/litre , I get 7 cents off a litre every time I buy gas.

I only buy gas, with the odd exception of a morning Java or DH's lottery fix. But just usually gas.
    I do online surveys that Petro Can sends me by email for an easy 1000 or 2000 points for like 4 min of my time.
    I do use my Petro ( CIBC) MC at other retailers often and get bonus Petro points when I spend a certain amount each month. I never carry a CC balance, pay in full each month.
    I always take advantage when the points needed to redeem for loading my gas savings card back up are lowered ( so instead of 15,000 points, I only have to redeem 11,000 points to get the next 250 litres worth of gas )

This is the one I like, not sure if it is the best. I am discouraged by Shell because of the way AM is changing and giving less and less when it comes to their GC's. Plus I would pay full price for the gas when I fill there or anywhere else.
    Natalka likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Costco's gas is six cents per liter cheaper than the regular gas stations. I usually fill up my car there when I get groceries. It's near the city limits, so we don't go there to fill up the other two vehicles. We fill those up at Superstore, although they've decreased the value of their Superbucks in recent years, from 5 cents/liter down to 4 cents/liter.

To me, getting AM's are no longer an incentive to buy exclusively at Shell...I have a hard time using those AM's!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We go to the nearby Shell for 2 reasons...one is Airmiles..but the second is that it is on the reserve, so the per litre price for non-natives is usually 0.15 cents/litre cheaper than off the reserve.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I go to the co-op because here the co-op is usually anywhere from .5cent cheaper to 1 cent cheaper. Where I am at they also give out co-op money (similar concept to canadian tire money, you get it when you buy gas and can use it in store). We've been collecting since August, and had $42 worth to use on groceries today. It works out to be about 2 cents per liter back.
    Natalka likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It will also depend upon your car's engine needs--there was one German make car that family member said had to be fuelled up only on Shell's Super or else engine would knock. Pickup truck could get regular gas but again, gas had to come from Shell. So if there are brand considerations, you have to keep them in mind and also monitor gas prices in your area to fuel up when it seems prices are in sync with what you will buy.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information