User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Infant Car Seats - Consumer's Report

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I'm expecting my first in a couple of weeks, and now I really have to find a car seat!
    I've been researching like crazy but haven't been able to figure out which one to get.
    Does anyone have access to the Canadian version of Consumer Report for 2011?
    Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Graco Snug ride had a very good rating, actually even better than the Bitax infant carrier.

If you go with Graco, Britax, Peg Perego, you wont be unhappy, however, the Britax infant carrier is not compatible with strollers like the Phil and Ted, so look out for things like that. Also, there are new regulations starting 2012 for car seats, so get one that is 2012 compliant, or it will be a pain if you want to try and resell it after.

I personally have only used the Britax or the Graco carseats. Graco for infants up to 22-35 lbs, anbd then Britax afterwards.
    gone shopping!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There's no such thing as a best product. What are your criterias ?

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

I used the Graco snugride infant seat and then the Britax Marathon. All car seats have to meet certain standards so you can't really choose wrong. Some are easier to install and use than others but safety standards are the same.
    Insane likes this.
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I work in a baby store and I chose Britax without a question! I had a Britax chaperone infant seat and now we have a Britax boulevard cs, a britax frontier and a clek olli!!
    Im obsessed with carseats

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkypie View Post
    I work in a baby store and I chose Britax without a question! I had a Britax chaperone infant seat and now we have a Britax boulevard cs, a britax frontier and a clek olli!!
    Im obsessed with carseats
    Obsessed by what exactly about carseats ? Supposed level of safety, comfort ?

A couple of years ago, I worked in a store that sold baby seats and I was always amazed at the quantity of mothers soooooooo concerned about buying the safest seat for the baby. We offered to carry the box to their car and more often than not, they drove luxurious cars with cheap or worn out tires.

The condition and the effectiveness of tires are the biggest safety vector while driving, not a carseat.
    Last edited by Thanh; Tue, Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I just love car seats... I like knowing that my kids are riding in the safest seats available!!

I also love installing car seats and educating parents on proper car seat use so that kids are safe! I see soo many seast not installed properly or not used correctly its so sad!

Krystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had the Graco snugride 32....great seat. Has an extended weight limit as well. My two year old is still rear facing in her Britax Advocate 65CS, and its also a great seat...has a high rear face limit and it comfortable (we do a lot of long distance drives)

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Just a note to anyone who is buying infant seats, if your looking for logevity then find one with the highest HEIGHT limit as this is what babies outgrow first.
    If you have a seat that holds up to 30lbs but only 22 inches then you have to switch when they hit the 22" which is FAST!
    Of all the babies Ive seen come through the store, I have yet to see even ONE outgrow the weight before the height...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Another important point that you probably already know - don't go to the US to get a better deal. American car seats are not legal for use in Canada, they don't have the same standards.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Another important point that you probably already know - don't go to the US to get a better deal. American car seats are not legal for use in Canada, they don't have the same standards.
    Relax, that's what they probably want you to believe to charge you 40% more just to slap a red sticker on it. Last time I checked, Graco doesn't have a separate plant for canadian vs. american seats.

It is the same pattern they use to complexify the process of importing cheaper cars from the US. Apparently, US cars are not up to canadian standards. But let's take the most important safety test: crash tests. None are performed by Transport Canada and/or canadian automobile insurers. They all rely on US data.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanh View Post
    Relax, that's what they probably want you to believe to charge you 40% more just to slap a red sticker on it. Last time I checked, Graco doesn't have a separate plant for canadian vs. american seats.

It is the same pattern they use to complexify the process of importing cheaper cars from the US. Apparently, US cars are not up to canadian standards. But let's take the most important safety test: crash tests. None are performed by Transport Canada and/or canadian automobile insurers. They all rely on US data.
    This doesn't make an American car seat legal for use in Canada.
    This doesn't get you out of a child endangerment fine and points off your license.
    Bronwen likes this.

Krystal
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Using a car seat that is not approved in Canada is illegal. Police are required to confiscate the seat and the driver can face fines/points. If you got into an accident your insurance could be reduced or voided totally and the driver could face criminal charges or a lawsuit.

Not saying its right, but thats the way it is....I'd love to be able to find a seat for my toddler (when she is older) that uses a 5 point harness until 80 pounds, but I dont think there are any in Canada?

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanh View Post
    Obsessed by what exactly about carseats ? Supposed level of safety, comfort ?

A couple of years ago, I worked in a store that sold baby seats and I was always amazed at the quantity of mothers soooooooo concerned about buying the safest seat for the baby. We offered to carry the box to their car and more often than not, they drove luxurious cars with cheap or worn out tires.

The condition and the effectiveness of tires are the biggest safety vector while driving, not a carseat.
    You're kidding right?

It just seems like you are on the attack about car seats, would it be safer for us to spend $800 on new tires and sit our kids on our laps? Really?

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CouponNinja View Post
    Using a car seat that is not approved in Canada is illegal. Police are required to confiscate the seat and the driver can face fines/points. If you got into an accident your insurance could be reduced or voided totally and the driver could face criminal charges or a lawsuit.

Not saying its right, but thats the way it is....I'd love to be able to find a seat for my toddler (when she is older) that uses a 5 point harness until 80 pounds, but I dont think there are any in Canada?
    Britax frontier!
    Harness til 65 lbs then used a a booster til 120lbs

I have one of these in cowmooflauge and looove it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information