User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired
    I hate when cashiers treat me like I am stealing when I am using coupons. It happens all the time. I know this happens to other SC'ers, and I'm wondering how you deal with it?

Personally, I make sure I know the store's coupon policy, and have read the fine print on the coupon before I try to use it. Even if all the conditions of the coupon have been met, cashiers seem to get really upset when I'm using coupons.

I've had people argue with me that I shouldn't be able to get a product for free when a coupon makes it a $0.00 item.

I've had chasiers try to tell be that I can't use a coupon for $2.00 off on an item priced at $1.97 - which is ridiculous because regardless of the price of the item the store is going to be re-imbursed for the FULL amount of the coupon by the manufacturer.

Even though I am always polite and NEVER make a scene (just not my style), cashiers argue about coupon amounts and make comments to other people in line, etc... It is embarassing. How do YOU deal with being treated like this?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I hate this too. I know this is why people get turned off from using coupons. My mom, friends, etc, often say they can't be bothered because they don't want to argue.
    You would think with all the news stories, etc. lately on using coupons and saving money, companies would educate their staff.
    That all being said, I am always polite but firm and stand my ground. If they say they cannot accept it for whatever reason, I always explain to them how it works. If they still cannot get it, I will ask them to call someone like a manager that I can speak to about it.
    Whatever happened to the customer is always right???

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

honestly it has got to the point at some stores i hate using coupons, or with particular cashiers....like you said, i take a step aside before i get in the line up and organize the exact coupons i am going to be using. The just hand them to them as either the product comes up or at the end (depending how many items i have). I have had some cashiers even start discussions about coupons, how they can join and start saving too. I once at walmart, had a group of 3-4 cashiers come over because they wanted to find the coupons. So all i can suggest is keep trying!! and hope for the best of luck. Some people just frown at the use of coupons, but why not save if you can. My husband never looks at prices and looks at the convience of where the store is what he wants, etc.... Hence he rarely goes shopping now because he is amazed at the deals i get.

His parents used to frown on my coupon using but now they are bragging about the deals they got too! it is a difficult story for some people to understand, but why not save your own money if you can. If you save enough you can reap many rewards (ie. i always save for a trip once a year)!!!

Trading Score
    57 (100%)

I never really understood the issue. It is not as if the money if coming out of the cashier's pockets. I just make sure I read and double read the specifications on the coupons before I argue about anything. With the price of food and necessities having gone up so much in the past year most of us have to rely on coupons.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cravin'savin' View Post
    I've had chasiers try to tell be that I can't use a coupon for $2.00 off on an item priced at $1.97 - which is ridiculous because regardless of the price of the item the store is going to be re-imbursed for the FULL amount of the coupon by the manufacturer.
    This happened to me with the glade candle $4 off one. I tried to use it at a local pharmancy and they told me that i could not use it at all. At Walmart, they let me use it but would only give me the value of the product off $3.87. I have written an email to WM to see what they say.

You are not stealing, you are saving yourself money, just ignore them and keep clipping coupons

Frugalmom
    Trading Score
    108 (100%)

You're absolutely right to not give up. Think of the savings in your own pocket. If I have trouble with one cashier I will simply try another. If I plan to use alot of coupons sometimes what I do is make two trips through the checkout so as not to overwhelm these girls. Some can't handle it. Whats a couple of extra minutes. You may be thinking....why should I waste my valuable time? Well, if you're getting things for free or nearly free, you are not wasting time. We are literally getting paid to shop!
    Don't give up girls. Your next trip out may pay GREAT rewards.

Trading Score
    112 (100%)

I, like you, try my best to explain that the coupons are good to use. If a cashier gets very rude about, I leave the store without making a purchase. I don't make a scene or anything, I just say ok I'll make my purchases elsewhere then. If you have been treated very badly by a cashier, I would write a letter to the company, explaining what poor customer sevice you received. They may not do anything about it, but its worth letting them know at least. I think maybe some cashiers are jealous or something, that us SCers can save so much on our grocery bills ...that or they are just lazy and don't want to ring in the coupons. For the most part I have been treated very well by cashiers regarding my coupons, but as in all things, there will always be one or two out there that thrive on making life difficult for everyone else.
    Win daily prizes worth $150 to $10000 sign up here!! I've won 3x $150 GCs since Jan.2012
    http://www.todaysdraw.com/?invite=5780

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I try to just stay positive and nice - I always ask the cashier if they want the coupons at the beginning or the end - that gives them control of how they want it done.. If you know the coupons are valid, just stand your ground. If the cashier refuses the coupon, then I just say I don't want the item then. I will take the coupon back and use it at another store, another cashier. Some cashiers are amazing and some are just miserable regardless of how nice you are. I don't let the miserable ones get to me. If the cashier is really nice I will go and find a supervisor and tell them how great the cashier was. Sometimes I pass along coupons to cashiers!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have experienced both extremes. I have had cashiers who were put out that I was using coupons, and I have also had a cashier congratulate me on how much I managed to save in one visit. With the bad ones, I just stand my ground and smile, and if they continue to be difficult, I just refuse to purchase the items that the coupons were refused on, especially when it means the difficult cashier has to stand there and void the items off of my bill. I don't let them rain on my parade, I feel so proud when my order is rung in and I see how much I saved in one visit.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's only happened to me a few times, using legitimate coupons properly, and I would ignore it as what I am doing is fine.
    However, I understand it in the case when you are trying to use a coupon for something lower than the value of the coupon. Yes, it might make sense to you, but it doesn't balance for them.

Trading Score
    187 (98%)

To put it simple... I argue. I am great at it and its a rush.. lmao

I know when I am right and I dont "try" to do do things with my coupons. I am well organized and get the correct product. Its not my fault that the store decided to have a sale or clearance and I happen to have a coupon for that specific item.

The problem is, is that stores dont properly educate/train employees... Of those people on here that work in a store that accepts coupons, how many have had GOOD training in how to accept/process within the register.

Its not rocket science and the register even does the math! For flippin sakes hit "vendor coupon" and the amount and be on your way with scanning the next item.

The only place I refuse to go back is Canadian Tire... I still love the store but refuse to try and use coupons. Was denied once "one per purchase means transaction!" and then the cashier decided to suck her teeth... I wanted to pop her in those few teeth!

Its definetly not enough to get me to stop using coupons. Alot of people get frustrated or think its not worth the time but its worth me standing there arguing for 15 mins if I have to, to save $50 or more....!

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=150767
    *** PLEASE click my referral link ***

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

This post is great. I have many friends are reluctant to use coupons. Many cashiers treat us as a thief or a beggar once we use coupons. They start by how come you get the item free? Where did you get this coupon? Sometimes, it is harsh and disappointing.

I found that I fought three times in a week and was nervous all the week with a lot of pressure because of this stupid casher and because of this bad customer service and because of this I changed my way. I'll lose some money but I'll gain relax!

My solution is "Try to be away of any arguing issues about the coupon, you are 100% sure that no problems with the coupon"
    But how?
    *I would not give a cashier a coupon with a value more than the product
    *I would not ask the cashier to include the taxes if the coupon even includes taxes
    *I would not use an online coupon
    *I would not give the cashier 10+ coupons in one transaction
    *I wouldn't use a coupon for a different product (size,type,...etc.)

I know I did not win but people here are rich in Alberta and they want to go forward in the queue and sure to check out fast... They will not go in your side but always in the cashier side ... Fighting for a dollar is embrassing and people in the queue start pushing : We are busy, please go to the customer services! I was redeeming my 5 Sunsilk coupons (free items after coupon) and I found the other guy behind me is telling the cashier after I was leaving "Can you please give me 2 Sunsilk Shampoo free?"

Why do I accept all of these troubles? Why the fighting?
    Last edited by tasamy; Wed, Apr 8th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I would make the suggestion that if the coupon you want to use is worth more than the item you are trying to get then either make sure you are buying other things (places like Walmart will take the whole amount of the coupon off and apply any difference to your other purchases), or save it for an item as close to the value of the coupon as possible (even if you have to pay 5 or 10 cents it's worth it). Also carefully read the coupon...some do say that taxes can be included in the value of the coupon (read and highlite or circle it & the expiry date).

I find lately that a lot of cashiers are reading the coupon carefully and circling the expiry dates...if you circle the important info for them they usually just whip it through without a thought.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Great advice all around. I'm not shy, and I'm not overly proud, so I don't embarrass easily, but I can see how it could be an issue. No doubt the best way to deal with this issue is to KNOW that the coupon is valid and KNOW the stores coupon policies. If both of these are met, then you have an iron clad case and anyone who refuses you is in the wrong. It might take writing to the manager to get it cleared once and for all, or a stop at customer service, but it's worth it in the long run. I find that if you go back to the same cashier or same managers often they become accustomed to what you are trying to do.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe I look poor and pathetic when I go to the cash register. But 95% of the time I don't have any issues with using coupons. I never use more than a few coupons at a time, which cuts down on cashiers getting confused and making mistakes. I can only think of 2 cashiers that were a bit rude. Most of the cashiers I meet are young and don't always know what to do and are afraid of doing something wrong but I remember what it felt like to be that age so I don't hold that against them. Reading posts on this site has actually increased my confidence for using coupons because if there is a problem I don't just assume that the cashier was right. I just try again somewhere else.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information