User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Furminator

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Someone asked for a review so here it is

I was shopping Christmas 2006 when I got my furminator, we had tried so many brushes and someone recommended this but at $50ish I thought there is no way I am paying that. I seen it on sale for $30ish so thought I would give it a try.

So we get home and decide to groom the cats up to make them look pretty for Christmas, so in the bath they go, a good drying and brushed with the furminator. Normally after a bath I dont brush so much fur off as most of the loose fur comes out with the rinsing but OMG there was piles of the stuff.

By the time I had groomed the 4 of them (we didn't have Autumn back then) there was a bathsheet towel just covered in piles of fur. For weeks they were great with just a quick brush down with the zoom groom (a plastic slicker brush they adore) and everyone mentioned how little fur was in my place considering how many cats were there.

The next time I brushed them without a bath and they loved it, purring all the time and two of them will even use it to groom themselves, holding it and rubbing themselves over it.

The blade does look quite sharp but I have never caused any damage to their skin with it and it pull out all the dead / loose fur including undercoat which stops them getting matted - which is great for me as my older boy isn't great about grooming himself.

Effectiveness 5/5 I brush once every two - three weeks now and just give them a quick once over with the zoom groom every few days compared to when I used to brush them almost daily.

Price 2/5 - for a brush it is expensive, but since it has saved me trips to the groomer and numerous other brushes (I am still on my first blade with 5 cats) I would pay it again.

Overall 4/5 - marked down for only its price.

Would I buy the shampoo / towel etc set again? No I didn't find it that much better than my cats' regular shampoo and will stick to that and just the brush but I find the brush works just as well on non bathed fur.

I now have two and use one at the animal shelter and it has worked well on all types of fur - I have replaced the blade on the smaller one I use at the shelter (cat type) but have probably groomed over 100 cats with it too

Notes:

it is possible to overgroom, one of mine likes it so much he once thinned his fur rubbing himself on it so I need to put it away where he cant get it

you should cut any matted fur out as it will pull them out which can hurt

I found the medium (yellow) one works better than the purple cat one
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Dee09 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

One of my friends uses the furminator on her dog and absolutely swears by it. She gets out tons and tons of fur with so little effort, and even though it is expensive it last forever, so it is probably worth it.

I can't use it with my pets, as for dogs it isn't appropriate for all fur types (best for short haired dogs), and some small pets have skin that is too delicate (rabbits, etc.), but I have been thinking of getting one for my mother if I can ever find one on sale or something.

Good to hear it works equally well for cats... maybe I'll make this a mother's day present
    Dee09 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by save_girl View Post
    I can't use it with my pets, as for dogs it isn't appropriate for all fur types (best for short haired dogs), and some small pets have skin that is too delicate (rabbits, etc.), but I have been thinking of getting one for my mother if I can ever find one on sale or something.
    Sorry, but this made me laugh. It won't work on some pets, but maybe I'll get one for Mom!

Z

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have one made by Laube - it's a company that actually makes clippers I think, but it's every bit as good and sturdy and long-lasting as the furminator brand, at half the price. So I would say that puts it at a 5/5. The blades can be replaced without buying a whole new one, but we haven't needed to even after quite a long time and big shedders.
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My Mom's hair doesn't have much of an undercoat, and I haven't noticed any shedding, but maybe your Mom's a bit different!
    Wins ~ $339.50 for 2008

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by swouper2 View Post
    My Mom's hair doesn't have much of an undercoat, and I haven't noticed any shedding, but maybe your Mom's a bit different!
    LOL

Yes but an initial cost of $60 for a pet owner rather than a groomer is a bit high - as I said, worth every penny in the end
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Sorry, but this made me laugh. It won't work on some pets, but maybe I'll get one for Mom!

Z
    Lol.... she's soft and cuddly but she does keep herself well groomed.
    I'll have to watch what I say!!!
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks so much for the review! Can't wait to get one!
    Dee09 and TrueNorthTreasures like this.
    <center></center><center></center><center></center><center></center><center></center>http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/FreebieChick
    http://www.winster.com/refer.jsp?uid=n30kdpgphys5r

Trading Score
    5 (86%)

I have one for a medium breed, and my dog is sort of in between medium and small. But on the ads, i noticed that it clumps all the fur up. For me, when i brush my dog his undercoat doesn't clump up...it just strays flying around sticking on my shirt =[ other than that it works 95% of the time.

I need to get a smaller one for his neck.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I was actually just using our this morning, outside...hadn't done the dog or the cat for a while, so it is unbelievable the hair that comes out, it's great...as you said, the cost is the only issue, but it does seem like it will last forever!
    Dee09 likes this.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I love my Furminator..and use it on my golden every spring...and would not do without it
    Dee09 likes this.
    Dog's don't care if you are rich or poor,smart or dumb,just give them your heart and they will give you theirs

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the reviews guys! Can't wait to get one and try it out! Sick of cat hair everywhere! Ugh!
    Dee09 likes this.
    <center></center><center></center><center></center><center></center><center></center>http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/FreebieChick
    http://www.winster.com/refer.jsp?uid=n30kdpgphys5r

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Is there a pic? I have never seen this before....
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/signaturepics/sigpic24297_2.gif
    http://pureromance.com/index.aspx?cnsltID=36112

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Cat

Various sized dog ones

I use the smaller of the yellow ones on cats and dogs
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

i'm sold! or, i would be if i could afford it. we have 9 cats and now that shedding season is upon is, this would help. with one of my cats, i can use a fine comb and comb him for at least 20 min and every single brush through takes away the same amount of hair, from the first time through to the last. i could probably continue doing it for an hour and just as much fur would come out after the hour. his fur is medium length, so i really don't know where it's all comes from!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information