User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Expired
    Hi I hope this is the right place to post this (and I didn't see any other one) I was reading someone's comment about asking for discounts at stores etc.

So I just wanted to let everyone know... because I used to work at Zellers, They have what is called the 30 30 rule.

Which means any store employee is entitled to give a 30% discount to anyone on any item without having to go to a supervisor or manager. They will say " I'll give you 10 % off " because they are suposed to give you the lowest possible. Just say No I'll take the 30%. Just remind them of their rule!
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- NuHit--><!-- / NuHit--><!-- message -->
    Ask when ever you feel you should be entiltled to a discount, Open item, Packaging damaged, scratched, display item (which might be hard because they don't usually sell them) etc.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zellers
    Last edited by freeplease; Mon, May 11th, 2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Update

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    332 (100%)

Thank you. When should I ask for the discount? Anytime or just when the cashier makes a mistake?

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

when does this rule apply?
    can it be combined with SPC?

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Ask when ever you feel you should be entiltled to a discount, Open item, Packaging damaged, scratched, display item (which might be hard because they don't usually sell them) etc.

You of course you may be entitled to a bigger discount (if they agree) you just have the hassle of going through a Manager... which is not always worth your time.

Trading Score
    154 (100%)

ohhh ok! what if the item is already on clearance? does it apply as well? lol

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I once bought a damaged item at gap, it had a clearly marked discount on it because of the damage, I think it was 20% off.

I have never asked for a discount in a store, and don't feel I am entitled to it. I have never heard of this rule that you mention, and it doesn't sound right to me. Employees get discounts all the time, doesn't mean they can apply it to customers, imo.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks freeplease, good to know!

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I know that is rule is true! I wen in to buy a ss garbage can, it was the only one left as they were on sale. I did not even notice that it had a dent in it, the employee did. She told me that she would be more than happy to give me 30%off as all employee can do this on their own, where they deam fit.
    More can be given, but yes, you do need a managers approval

Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks for the info ! I usually haven't bothered asking for a discount because I figured it would be to much hassle. Knowing this makes a difference.

Trading Score
    19 (100%)

i worked as a cashier at zellers, and we were only allowed to give 10% without a supervisor's approval.

i had a box of dishes put aside for my hubby to pick up. when he got there, they were rattling, obviously broken. so he found another good box, and then took the broken box to customer service, and asked if she would reduce them. she flat out refused. said they had to be shipped back to manufacturer and walked away from him before he could request a manager.

i called the store of course, and eventually got a hold of the manager. several pieces were missing and broken, but what was left he got for $2.

so my advice would be, if you don't agree with the cashier, demand a supervisor.

will you be my friend? please? http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=298463

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I once bought a damaged item at gap, it had a clearly marked discount on it because of the damage, I think it was 20% off.

I have never asked for a discount in a store, and don't feel I am entitled to it. I have never heard of this rule that you mention, and it doesn't sound right to me. Employees get discounts all the time, doesn't mean they can apply it to customers, imo.
    Of course you are entitled to a discount if the product you are purchasing is not in perfect condition. Just recently at Blacks I purchased a frame with a slight scratch and mentioned it to the customer who gave a couple dollars off and asked if that was ok with me. So you dont know what you can get if you dont ask. This is not an employee discount you are getting, this is a discount any customer can receive if they purchase a product that is anything less than perfect condition.

Thanks for the heads up about Zellers...good to know!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think Superstore must have a similar policy too, at least where the floor staff are able to offer a discount for damaged items without aproval. We were looking at a furniture item one day and it had a mark on it. One of the floor staff walking by noticed us looking at it and commented that she would mark it down $30 if we wanted it. (If I remember correctly the item was around a $100 full price, so 30% too).
    CC

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    23 (100%)

thanks for the post! Great to know about it.

Trading Score
    344 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by freeplease View Post
    Hi I hope this is the right place to post this (and I didn't see any other one) I was reading someone's comment about asking for discounts at stores etc.

So I just wanted to let everyone know... because I used to work at Zellers, They have what is called the 30 30 rule.

Which means any store employee is entitled to give a 30% discount to anyone on any item without having to go to a supervisor or manager. They will say " I'll give you 10 % off " because they are suposed to give you the lowest possible. Just say No I'll take the 30%. Just remind htem of their rule!
    That is great to know. It can't hurt to ask. I will keep this is mind.

Thanks for the post!

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

It never hurts to ask for a discount if something is slightly damaged.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information