User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi All,

What's your favorite digital camera when traveling? What features do you look for? Let's hear your recommendations!

Thanks

Puerto Vallarta Villa
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The camera should be Small

This for a travel camera is very important, it must be easy to place in your hand luggage on the airplane, and then once you are traveling by car or landrover on safari, it has to be easy to carry with you, unless you are a professional photographer, where just about all your luggage will be photography equipment I would highly recommend a compact digital camera for traveling.

I have had a large digital SLR camera with an extra 300mm and wide angle lens before and whilst it cannot be argued that because all the professional photographers use them they have to be the best, you must remember that that is their job and you are on holiday with the idea being to enjoy it. Lugging around all that heavy and bulky equipment is no fun at all!
    Don't become a Target

Another good thing to remember is that if you plan to travel around populated areas like towns or cities in any country in the world as a tourist you are immediately a target for thieves, don't make yourself the prime target with a huge camera case and camera round your neck. It is nice to be able to easily slip your camera out of sight sometimes.
    Safari Camera

When you go on safari, you most probably will be traveling on a 4x4 and the size of your camera is not that important as long as it is easily available, but if you plan on going on a walking safari, again a small easy to carry camera is highly recommended.

Therefore for me the most important feature of a traveler digital camera is that it must be small.

Thanks............

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi. I bought a digital camera for my daughter that is shock proof, waterproof and 14megapixels. It is from The Future Shop and has been so wonderful. It is compact but has so many features like the different settings for variety of lighting situations, active situations or a great auto feature. There are a variety of them out there but this type would be great for vacationing. Can't go wrong and suits any trip situation.
    Good luck.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do you mean camcorder or camera? I've been hearing great things about the Flip camcorder recently and it's very small and lightweight + easy to upload directly from. In terms of digital cameras there are just hundreds of options depending on size, SLR model or not etc.

Hotels in Brazil
    Last edited by AlexisSala; Tue, Mar 26th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey friend... I used many brands and now , I use Sony NEX system. A perfect camera for tourism and fixed lens is Ricoh GR with apsc sensor. Another one is Sony RX100.

Will
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The M43 platform I think is the best. I come from the DSLR full frame world and it got to the point where it was just too much of a pain to carry all that gear with me. I discovered the M43 platform and never switched. I currently own the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and it's awesome. I get the flexibility of being able to switch to different lenses depending on the situation, still take some amazing photos (micro four thirds is equivalent to any APS-C sensor...if not better...so in non technical speak that means any entry level DSLR that isn't full frame). I can't recommend it enough to everyone I know.

Thread Information