User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I don't own a cell phone but would like to get one.

Basically I only want to have it in case of emergencies. I have a one year old daughter and she is in daycare. I plan on giving the daycare my cell phone number and then they can call me even if I'm not at my desk. I wouldn't give the number to anybody else.

I guess the best plan would just be pay as you go. I would also like to be able to roll my unused minutes to the next month. Which cell phone provider would you recommend?
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

if you go with virgin mobile you can put 100 a year on it and if you top up before it expires then your money rolls over and is good for the next year too
    my phone is only for emergencies too and since feb I have only used like $6 worth of my 100 for the year LOL

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Speakout Wireless pay as you go phones from 7-11 (yes, 7-11!). Got this for our son - minutes are good for a year, if you add a bit before the end of that time, they continue to roll over.
    OOPS their big promo ends TODAY - when you buy $100 minutes you get the phone half price! Hope you're reading this today! They might have another promo in the fall.
    http://speakout7eleven.ca/

It's a good service because there is no monthly fee, just a buck I think for 911. Phones are Nokia, son has three different styles, all good.
    If you refill with $75 or $100, your minutes go down to .20/minute instead of .25 - they credit your phone extra minutes, really.

Petro Canada's is similar, but their minutes are good for only six months.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thank you for responding. I will be looking into both deals. I didn't know my minutes could last for a year. Yay!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

if you're a very infrequent user, the petro canada $25 prepaid card gives 100 minutes and is good for 120 days (which is the equivalent of $75 a year).

http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/features/187.aspx

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

I also have Speakout from 7-Eleven. I would highly recommend it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I also do not have their own cell phones

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I'm with Virgin Mobile Pay-As-You-Go because I only use it for emergencies

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://en.alldaytalk.com/Cell/bestoptionforme.asp

Telus PayAsYouGo $7/month unlimited one-number
    Magic Number $8.95/month
    Total for me comes to $16.61/month for me.

I used to be on a plan with Telus but after I learned about this, I switched over to this once my contract ended.

And doing this gives you unlimited anytime incoming and outbound calls. It works!

The Telus Prepaid allows you to choose a phone (you pay depending on how fancy you want to go) and most come with an automatic $50 credit.
    Last edited by mulock; Wed, Sep 16th, 2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add more

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

+1
    Telus & Magic Number

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Anyone else have any recommendations? I'm looking into getting a cellphone as well... but I need to be able to potentially use it from the USA when I go down there as well (I believe that when I researched it, the 7-11 and petrocanada ones can't make any calls from the USA).

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

most u can use in the usa as long as you let them know ahead of time.

i seriously luvz virgin though

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

ya i love virgin too sally!! but I think my phone might be crapping out had it for a few years and it was pretty much free ($49.99 but we got a $25 activation credit when we bought the phone)...sooo I need a new one they have a promo that some you get a $50 activation credit but idk which one would be best to get...I love texting and love being able to check my email on my phone (something my current phone has stopped allowing me to do for some dumb reason re:check email)...but I want to stay on pay as you go so idk which to choose lol I was looking at the samsung link it looks pretty sweet and it would only cost me around $50 because of the free activation credit...but idk if it would be great or not?? oops maybe i should make my own thread instead of threajacking this one LOL

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Virgin only gives the $50 credit on NEW activations. So you would have to change your phone number.

I needed a new phone and wound up going Rogers. $100 lasts a year and like all the other if you top up before the expiry date your minutes roll over.

Somebody here told me about the 1cent a minute rate after 8pm till 08 and that's the way I went because I only need the phone for night use. If you get a lot of texts look at their $3/month add on. Gives you 30 texts out and unlimited incoming.

Rogers just marginally beat out 7-11 for my money. They are doing the free phone with $100 until Christmas (I think) again.

When Bell bought out Branson from Virgin, the standards started slipping, rates increased without much notice. So I let my kids burn off my minutes and made the switch. But Virgin/Bell made such a hassle out of porting my phone number that I stuck with the one Rogers gave me (much easier to remember it turns out)

Using any cell phone in the States is expensive with the roaming fees. I bought an AT&T gophone for $30 at Best Buy down there. You got a ridiculous amount of minutes/credits with it. You can text to and from Canada, just not make calls north. Nobody tried calling me down there so I don't know if you can receive calls. But if you know people down there or are just wanting an emergency phone they have some wild daily rates. $3/day gives you unlimited LD calls across the us and unlimited US texts.
    Last edited by pippinelkhound; Thu, Dec 3rd, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If you are not in a rush you might want to wait for the new service provider -- Wind Mobile -- to get approved and set up in Canada. I can't wait to see what they offer, supposedly will provide big competition to the Big Three with what they will have to offer and really change the wireless industry in Canada. Lots of hype for this new company...I really hope it turns out well!!!

http://www.windmobile.ca/
    PM me for referrals to survey sites that pay
    Earn with Swagbucks - Referral Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information