User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
    You could try it by just putting $5 or $10 on a card and if it all goes smoothly then go back and put more on.

I can't imagine SDM saying that you couldn't use it if you were not a student. It would be like stealing your money. Several posters have already bought and used these cards and they are not students.

Remember why any company loves selling giftcards. It gives them a pile of cash that they can put in the bank and make interest on while customers hold the giftcards. And, of course, some giftcards get lost or forgotten and are never cashed in. Fear not!
    be careful if you're planning to add more credits to a card. I tried that today - had 3 $25 Mastercards from the Nestea promo and they couldn't use all three so I asked them to load $25 at a time. Only the first transaction came up with bonus points. The cashier said I needed to buy a fresh card to get the bonus points. Luckily, she was able to do a refund and I bought two more cards.

bug
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks. Can't decide whether to do this or not....I'm always paranoid that I'll lose giftcards. I think I'll start with just $25.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

just wondering, when we re-fill more money into the card, will we get points too?
    SWAGBUCKS ---- Want to earn FREE Gift Cards for searching the web?
    JOIN Swagbucks FREE Join me in earning Amazon Giftcards

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by grasshopper902 View Post
    be careful if you're planning to add more credits to a card. I tried that today - had 3 $25 Mastercards from the Nestea promo and they couldn't use all three so I asked them to load $25 at a time. Only the first transaction came up with bonus points. The cashier said I needed to buy a fresh card to get the bonus points. Luckily, she was able to do a refund and I bought two more cards.
    Thanks for the heads up. Boy oh boy it can get complicated! So, according to your experience and what that cashier told you... no bonus points on REFILLING or ADDING $ to a card. Good to know!

Trading Score
    297 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by swallow_046 View Post
    just wondering, when we re-fill more money into the card, will we get points too?
    from Grasshopper902 above post

Hope to get a card on Thursday & points too! <!-- / message -->

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by savergirl123 View Post
    This sounds like a great offer. But I'm wary that I might be asked for a student card. My SDM won't even let me use a coupon that is 1 penny more then the cost of a product.

Has anybody had any problems using the "student" gc card?
    There is nothing on the card that indicates that you must have a valid student ID or anything else to use it. I used mine to buy bus passes, no problem at all!

Z

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Does anyone know if I can use the card to buy other gift cards? And what other gift cards do they have? Thanks.

Dealigator
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Remember why any company loves selling giftcards. It gives them a pile of cash that they can put in the bank and make interest on while customers hold the giftcards. And, of course, some giftcards get lost or forgotten and are never cashed in. Fear not!
    And the figures are surprisingly high. Gift cards are a real bonanza for retailers, especially cards given as gifts -- they are called gift cards for a reason!

And this new one from SDM is pure evil genius. Think about it. Concerned parent wants to make sure kid has money for food and hygiene, and also be sure kid won't spend that money on dope and hookers. SDM provides the perfect solution -- a card for KD and TP but not beer and cigs. In SDM's sweaty dreams, the parent keeps dutifully refilling the card every two weeks, long after the kid (used the card once to stockpile party snacks) has thrown it out with the empty chip bags.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    Does anyone know if I can use the card to buy other gift cards? And what other gift cards do they have? Thanks.
    They have gift cards for nearly everything. Futureshop, the Second Cup, Montanas, Subway, the Keg. Go here to check it out:

http://www.shoppersdrugmart.ca/engli...tcardmall.html

I DON'T know if you can buy them with the student GC.

Z

moneysaver
    Trading Score
    460 (100%)

I wouldn't do it, even if you can. Some previous posts have said that it would be considered abuse of the points program and SDM can and will confiscate points and/or suspend your membership. We all like to push it to the limit but you're getting into dicey territory there. If we all did that it would bankrupt the system, and we do want SDM to continue to offer regular points with the purchase of their SDM giftcards.
    Thank you mcminsen for your clarification. It makes sense and i wont try to do it.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For people using the SDM mastercard, which earns 25 points per $1…if they load in $200, would they be getting 200 x 25 x 5 = 25,000 points? Or still 10,000 points? Just curious!...I would try it out if I had the mastercard...but I don't! Thanks

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Your SDM Mastercard points would not be eligible for the 5x the points thing. Those are only awarded after you pay your bill I think. You'd get 5,000 from your Mastercard, and 10,000 from the bonus points on the GC purchase. I think!

Z

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I used my Shoppers Optimum Mastercard yesterday to buy a "parents/students" card with $100 on it. I got:

Regular points - 1000
    Product bonus points - 4000
    Total points earned today - 5000

The extra 15 points/dollar that I get because it's a purchase with the S.O.M. at SDM will come later on with my credit card statement. I presume it will be 1500 points. All in all, a good bonus points event for simply being willing to prepay your purchases a little ways into the future.

Again, about the idea of buying giftcards with giftcards... maybe it's just worth asking a knowledgeable staff person at SDM for clarification. Apparently it's okay to buy a "parents/students" giftcard with a pre-paid Mastercard but maybe it's different when it comes to going back and forth between SDM giftcards.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by renegado View Post
    And the figures are surprisingly high. Gift cards are a real bonanza for retailers, especially cards given as gifts -- they are called gift cards for a reason!

And this new one from SDM is pure evil genius. Think about it. Concerned parent wants to make sure kid has money for food and hygiene, and also be sure kid won't spend that money on dope and hookers. SDM provides the perfect solution -- a card for KD and TP but not beer and cigs. In SDM's sweaty dreams, the parent keeps dutifully refilling the card every two weeks, long after the kid (used the card once to stockpile party snacks) has thrown it out with the empty chip bags.

The trick is to beat them at their own game!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to 2 SDMs and they were out of the cards. Apparently many people bought them and started using them right away.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information