User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The end of grocery stores is near....

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

My WM recently opened up its produce/meats/bakery section! I literally stopped and looked at all the people in shock horror today. I was browsing around and noticed a huge pile of people on the other side of the store... as I got closer I noticed, they were grocery shopping! And not just like normal, this was in the middle of the day, around noon and there were TONS of people shopping like they were getting produce away for free or something!

I am kidding about the end of grocery stores, I think people will still like to shop at grocery stores... I much prefer it than the chaos of WM, the product section isn't that big at mine anyway, well big for walmart size anyway. This WM (Kitchener Sunrise Centre) is going to be, or is now a supercentre too.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In my city there is regular Walmart and Safeway in the same mall.Sometimes there are more people in the grocery section of Walmart than all of the Safeway store.

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i cant shop for grocerys at WM-S..i mean where is the bakery section with varitety,the cakes!, the deli!..it doesnt exist..i like fortinos/longos...they are larger and you have a lot more variety

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I like my Zehrs lol

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Shopping in these GIANT stores is just soo chaotic in my opinion, like I want to think clearly when I am shopping and not have to push through crowds of people. What happened to grocery shopping being relaxing and a time to stroll around calmly?
    Dee09 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

On the other hand, the Superstores in my region are like grocery stores with a Walmart stuck on the side of them. Clothing, sheets, small appliances. Eventually there probably won't be a Walmart either, just a big super-centre thing where you get everything.

I'm not sure why, but I'm bothered by the idea of buying fresh foods in a Walmart.

Z

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

My WM Supercenter is the only place I now shop, because of the pricematching mostly..and 99% of the time never issues with cashiers not wanting my coupons.
    Our WMS is only about 1 year old and the deli is huge...no stores around me have a deli that big, and we have Safeway, Country Grocer, Thriftys, SAve on Foods...
    However I do agree you basically have to pick the time of day you go, I prefer anytime before 3 pm as thats not the busy time...and the produce section is too small, but it doesn't matter to me because I only get my fruits and veggies year round at the local farmer's market.
    *One thing though that I have noticed, sometimes WM is sold out of the flyer items, where as the other grocers never usually are.That sometimes irks me.
    Dee09 likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

So did they change the checkouts at WM too now? They have to weigh produce and know PLU codes and stuff right? Like any other grocery store?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by trucks12trucks View Post
    i cant shop for grocerys at WM-S..i mean where is the bakery section with varitety,the cakes!, the deli!..it doesnt exist..i like fortinos/longos...they are larger and you have a lot more variety
    True. I may have to a pay quarter or two more, but my Loblaws have a greater variety than any of the Wal Mart Super Centers I've visited.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ya I'm not keen on buying my fruits and vegetables from Wally either, I can't seem them trying too strive to keep local produce available.

When strawberries are in season do they get local or is it still California strawberries?

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I was astounded at the size of the Walmart Supercentre on the north side of Lethbridge, Alberta.

I was visiting family and was taking advantage of no sales tax in Alberta. I think my sister-in-law said that it was the largest one in Canada. Just get a scooter at the front door and drive for miles. When you were at one end of the store and looked towards the opposite end, you couldn't see it! It stretched to infinity!

I'm probably going to have crazy dreams about it sometime.
    Mia001 and Dee09 like this.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
    I was astounded at the size of the Walmart Supercentre on the north side of Lethbridge, Alberta.

I was visiting family and was taking advantage of no sales tax in Alberta. I think my sister-in-law said that it was the largest one in Canada. Just get a scooter at the front door and drive for miles. When you were at one end of the store and looked towards the opposite end, you couldn't see it! It stretched to infinity!

I'm probably going to have crazy dreams about it sometime.
    Lol

Some of the Supercentres should have golf carts so we can navigate through the store... the one closest to me is massive too

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

The WM's in the US apparently have cars in them! Crazy eh?

I wonder how big the Kitchener one is, it's the only supercentre type I have been in so far. Too big for me to handle. I feel like I am cheating on grocery stores shopping for groceries there.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Shopping in these GIANT stores is just soo chaotic in my opinion, like I want to think clearly when I am shopping and not have to push through crowds of people. What happened to grocery shopping being relaxing and a time to stroll around calmly?
    LMAO! You obviously don't have kids! Or at least, you don't have MY kids. There is nothing relaxing about grocery shopping with my lovely little apes!
    Dee09 likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RobynCD View Post
    LMAO! You obviously don't have kids! Or at least, you don't have MY kids. There is nothing relaxing about grocery shopping with my lovely little apes!
    Nope don't have kids, but I can imagine I see the screamers at WM all the time, and just look at the moms in disbelief. They look like they are at their wits end sometimes. I would leave mine at home if I did have some, I want shopping to be as enjoyable as possible. Shopping with the bf isn't a treat either, he makes me feel like a child sometimes not letting me get stuff, rather go on my own.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information