User Tag List

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

I have all these brand saver coupons I want to use to get my sister some goodies for her stocking.

However I've never bought any makeup other then from The Body Shop, and one random lip stick from Shoppers for my Prom so any tips are going to be greatly appreciated.

Things I would like to know about Cover Girl are:

Suggested products?

A Good Price?

Best place to buy them?

Likes/dislikes And Why?
    This thread is currently associated with: Shoppers Drug Mart, The Body Shop

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

You can always to go their website for a list of all their products, shades, explanations, etc. They don't usually have very good sales, sometimes it's only 1 or 2 items from the brand that go on sale and it's typically for around $2 off regular price (at least I've noticed at drugstores like SDM and Rexall). I would suggest Walmart or Zellers since their regular price will already be cheaper (plus at Zellers you can save an extra 10% with the SPC card). Look for %-off sales, which usually save you the most. For stocking stuffers, I wouldn't get anything too personal like powders or foundations (unless you really know your sisters skin type and tone) but you can get lip products (they come in little gift sets around the holidays) and also those eyelights pack with the matching liner, mascara, shadow and applicator brush according to eye colour.

Personally, I dislike Covergirl. I think their products are poorly made and do not work adequately. Most of them are overscented and overhyped, poorly pigmented and the quality is just not there. The only product I do like and own 2 of is the lip stains, but you need to know everyone has a different preference. Good luck!

P.S. If i were to suggest 1 product that I think most people who have tried it DO like, it's the LashBlast mascara in the orange tube. I haven't tried it myself but most people seem to like it. Hope this helps!

Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I say the Lash Blast mascara and lipstains are your best bets. Everything else is a waste of money. Their foundations and powders are horrible and too strongly fragranced. Since you are on the west coast, keep an eye on all the flyers that you get, and then try to get a price match at London Drugs for the best deal. That way you can stack all your coupons and get the lowest price. Sometimes, LD will even have offers of a free mascara or a free eyeshadow if you buy a certain $ amount from a m/u line, so you can also get that deal on top of your price match and coupon stacking.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I think their eyeshadows are ok too but quite honestly I don't use covergirl.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I like their lipsticks, because they seem to stay on better than most other brands. Had a great deal at RCSS for about two weeks, where they had an in-store coupon for $2 off lip products. Not sure if they still have it!

The foundations smell medicinal and remind me of being 14.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Lash blast is one of my favourite mascaras. The volume exact is good too, and lashexact(and eyelights has the same wand as the lash exact). Their mascaras have the plastic wands which are widely used now, so if you don't like that, I would avoid these, I like them personally.

Their eyeshadows aren't great, but the one trio, called shimmering sands is beautiful. I think eyeshadows are hit or miss, I've bought mac shadows that were gritty and I didn't like, and then wet 'n' wild ones that are super cheap that were great.

As for prices, I think WM has cover girl for the cheapest, that goes for all drugstore makeup. If you looking for product reviews, www.makeupalley.com is a great place, I look there all the time for tips and reviews on makeup products.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy covergirl just because you have coupons for it, I am often tempted to do this too, but try my best to only buy stuff when I need it.
    Last edited by Justine; Tue, Oct 6th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

Wow, this has been great and very useful thanks!!! I think with all these tips I should be able to get her something thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christina8717 View Post
    For stocking stuffers, I wouldn't get anything too personal like powders or foundations (unless you really know your sisters skin type and tone) but you can get lip products (they come in little gift sets around the holidays) and also those eyelights pack with the matching liner, mascara, shadow and applicator brush according to eye colour.

Personally, I dislike Covergirl. I think their products are poorly made and do not work adequately. Most of them are overscented and overhyped, poorly pigmented and the quality is just not there. The only product I do like and own 2 of is the lip stains, but you need to know everyone has a different preference. Good luck!

P.S. If i were to suggest 1 product that I think most people who have tried it DO like, it's the LashBlast mascara in the orange tube. I haven't tried it myself but most people seem to like it. Hope this helps!
    Thank-you for all your tips, they are great I do know my sisters skin tone pretty well, I've bought her makeup for the last 6 ish years now if not longer I guess it's been more like 8 years have I've not been working at TBS for 2 years now but I worked @ The Body Shop so with a brilliant discount my sister would always get great stocking stuffers I got her some wonderful make up from the side walk sale this summer and now needed to get a mascara and some lip glosses and such so this has been useful

I totally know what you mean, I don't like anything other then Body Shop make up as it's what I know and know well, however I do know what you mean and I can't stand any drugstore brand type makeup but my sister is a single mom of 3 and can't afford much as far as makeup so I try to get her some extra goodies for herself.

Thanks I will have a look for that mascara thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Junerose View Post
    I say the Lash Blast mascara and lipstains are your best bets. Everything else is a waste of money. Their foundations and powders are horrible and too strongly fragranced. Since you are on the west coast, keep an eye on all the flyers that you get, and then try to get a price match at London Drugs for the best deal. That way you can stack all your coupons and get the lowest price. Sometimes, LD will even have offers of a free mascara or a free eyeshadow if you buy a certain $ amount from a m/u line, so you can also get that deal on top of your price match and coupon stacking.

I love all these great HONEST opinions I don't tend to buy her much other then eye and lip makeup anyhow so I guess I am good there.

I was thinking the LD stacking thing was the best way to go too but was looking for some price guides as I don't know anything about drugstore prices for makeup

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    I think their eyeshadows are ok too but quite honestly I don't use covergirl.
    I think they do too, I was checking it all out online before I posted my message and I quite like the colors not sure about the quality but the colors are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I like their lipsticks, because they seem to stay on better than most other brands. Had a great deal at RCSS for about two weeks, where they had an in-store coupon for $2 off lip products. Not sure if they still have it!

The foundations smell medicinal and remind me of being 14.

Oh thanks for the tip, I will check it out and see if they still have that deal on

Must be what my gf wore when were teenagers and I think that's why I always hated makeup until I got my BS job and they convinced me to try it and I've been hooked - still not big on foundations though, not really needed

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Lash blast is one of my favourite mascaras. The volume exact is good too, and lashexact(and eyelights has the same wand as the lash exact). Their mascaras have the plastic wands which are widely used now, so if you don't like that, I would avoid these, I like them personally.

Their eyeshadows aren't great, but the one trio, called shimmering sands is beautiful. I think eyeshadows are hit or miss, I've bought mac shadows that were gritty and I didn't like, and then wet 'n' wild ones that are super cheap that were great.

As for prices, I think WM has cover girl for the cheapest, that goes for all drugstore makeup. If you looking for product reviews, www.makeupalley.com is a great place, I look there all the time for tips and reviews on makeup products.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy covergirl just because you have coupons for it, I am often tempted to do this too, but try my best to only buy stuff when I need it.

Thanks for the tips on the mascaras, I will check it out and see what I can find her

And yes you are right about eye shadows that's for sure! All brands and types are different

Thanks for the link that's great I will check it out

I know what you mean about buying things when you don't need them and not to only buy it because I have the coupons. I tend to pass off most of my stackables to my bf's mother who gets things for the local shelters, however with that said, I am not working right now do to health issues so if I can stack and get some extras for my sisters stocking then I will. She's loves all the glosses and such so I don't think I should have much problem there

Thanks everyone for the input that's great and it's all been very helpful

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

a HUGE 2nd to the makeupalley.com website.. ALWAYS check product reviews!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

Thanks Christina I didn't know this site existed so thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Christina8717 View Post
    a HUGE 2nd to the makeupalley.com website.. ALWAYS check product reviews!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I LOVE the covergirl Eyelights mascara, I have them in all colors...I bought 6 for stocking stuffers as well with the last P&G flyer coupons. I don't know about the other makeup either, I use MAC or Clinique, or none at all.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Litesandsirens911 View Post
    I LOVE the covergirl Eyelights mascara, I have them in all colors...I bought 6 for stocking stuffers as well with the last P&G flyer coupons. I don't know about the other makeup either, I use MAC or Clinique, or none at all.
    Thanks I have made a list of all the ideas and will hope for a sale so I can PM and use up my stash of coupons I've got

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

RCSS and Loblaw Great Food have a coupon in their flyer for $2.00 off starting Friday on any Cover Girl product. Not sure if they'll let you use this and the Brandsaver coupons but it's worth a shot!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BargainHuntingTeacher View Post
    RCSS and Loblaw Great Food have a coupon in their flyer for $2.00 off starting Friday on any Cover Girl product. Not sure if they'll let you use this and the Brandsaver coupons but it's worth a shot!
    Great minds think alike!

I was just going to post this here, it isn't often we can stack coupons in Ontario so I posted the link in another thread also

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/1348874-post1.html

Thread Information