User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: braces cost

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired
    I am looking for any place wher 12 year's kid can go for cheap place for braces please please inform me if you have any idea.Thank you
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by gandhi; Thu, Oct 29th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's around $5000 at the Brace Place, which has three locations. One in Toronto, Thornhill and Scarborough. I got my braces done there and they're really good. http://www.thebraceplace.ca/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I don't think that 'braces' and 'cheap' normally go together in the same sentence unfortunately.

Z

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Another option is through the Unveristy of Toronto Dental Clinic. Treatment is provided by a "student" dentist who is enrolled in the Faculty of Dentistry of U of T, but is always supervised by a licensed practioner. I believe costs are more reasonable but definitely not free. Might be worth giving them a call. http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/pat...linicmain.html

I just read through this site, and noticed that the waiting time for braces is over 2 years so might not be good for OP's situation but perhaps others may find this clinic information useful.
    Last edited by dustyshadow; Thu, Oct 29th, 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: more information

Trading Score
    41 (100%)

yup braces tend to be expensive..not not just a bit expensive..mine cost well over $8000 over the time i had them..

hope you find something that works for you!

smartmama
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gandhi View Post
    I am looking for any place wher 12 year's kid can go for cheap place for braces please please inform me if you have any idea.Thank you
    I can speak from experience with my son that they are expensive. His current round of braces is $5000 and we paid $2000 for retainers for the 2 years prior. From my experience, I suggest you ask around for the best not the cheapest. Believe me, it makes a big difference for both you and your child.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

It depends on what needs to be done. We were quoted $8000 by my ds dentist. He also saw a Orthodontist at Sick kids and was quoted $7500. 75% is covered through Sick Kids due to a medical condition.

This includes adjustments every 6 weeks and retainer after. Not sure if he has to wore the retainer for 6 months before too, can't remember but the quote was included everything he needed.

Question:
    Do you think your child needs braces? also Has he lost all his baby teeth yet? The dentist said my oldest would need braces, there was alittle crowding but after the last of his baby teeth fell out, his teeth looked okay. He is 19 now and his teeth look perfect without the braces or any dental work. With my 14 year old I can tell he needs braces. His teeth are overlapping andbadly crowded ... at 75% off it's affordable.

His dentist pulled the last baby tooth because he won't put braces on when if he still has baby teeth. If your in the Mississauga area he's a awesome dentist.
    Last edited by jokm1234; Thu, Oct 29th, 2009 at 04:06 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't forget about "Invisilign" especially if it's some minor problems...and I can recommend a great dentist that does this, low cost....

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

When I got braces I did a lot of looking around, I really think the cheapest you will get is $5000, but braces are something that you really don't want to go "low" on cost, its better to pay more and get great treatment and a great Dr then spend little and get bad treatment and crappy appointments

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I had to get braces for my son as well. After about 4 years with appliances, braces, retainers, splints, etc. it was about $7-8000 or so. ( I would do it again for him in a heartbeat. I have to tell you his teeth are absolutely beautiful ........ it is well worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!)

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The wait time can vary according to how complicated the treatment with braces is going to be (the more complicated cases have the longest wait time). It would be worth going to the dental school and getting a screening by one of the orthodontists to see what the wait would be. The savings can be substantial, generally about half of what a private office would charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyshadow View Post
    Another option is through the Unveristy of Toronto Dental Clinic. Treatment is provided by a "student" dentist who is enrolled in the Faculty of Dentistry of U of T, but is always supervised by a licensed practioner. I believe costs are more reasonable but definitely not free. Might be worth giving them a call. http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/pat...linicmain.html

I just read through this site, and noticed that the waiting time for braces is over 2 years so might not be good for OP's situation but perhaps others may find this clinic information useful.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Honestly, I think you should get a second opinion. My dentist suggest all 4 of us kids in my family get braces when we were about that age. My parents couldnt afford 4 of us so they said they would in 2 years. None of us got braces and are teeth are amasing and no need to flush our money down the toilet. I would say they are cheap and the cheaper you find most likely the crapper job that will come out of it. I had to get a cavity filled once so I figured a dentist is a dentist went to the cheapest one - 2 years and it fell out. Ended up going back paying 150$ to fix the original problem plus what the other dentist did to my teeth.

You should not play around with your body especially your children - you want the best for them not the cheapest or best deal. Its the same with doctors - this is something you should not play around with.

Try talking to the spec or / and dentist they will cut costs as well as help you. I talked to my dentist and I can pay as I go sort of speak. Even if I dont have the money they will still see me and fix my problems. Same with my pharmacists they will do the same. Im very thankful for this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

You can always work out a payment plan with most dentists. I am not sure that cheap would be a good way to get braces. I reccommend getting some quotes from local dentists.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in a large city, it may be cheaper to go to a more rural place to get the braces done. I find that cities can sometimes cause prices to get increased, the dentist may be skilled the same, but an hour outside of the city may be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Do you have a medical plan? If you don't maybe you could look into a medical plan that would cover something like braces, or upgrading your existing plan to cover some braces expenses. I know my parents when I was young, many years ago, were lucky in having almost half the cost of my braces covered.

Just remember that a good dentist is worth the money. you don't want to mess around when it comes to teeth. I would also agree with tryign some of the dentistry schools. 12 years old seems young to get braces, although I did have mine when I was 12-13, and my teeth turned out so much nicer than my sisters who had theirs done at 16 and 18. It depends on the child, their growth rate etc.

Also are you sure that your child needs braces? Is this dentist a reliable one? I know that about two years ago, a new dentist I saw reccommended that I could look into getting braces...take into consideration I had already had braces, and little to no over bite and straight teeth (two dentists after this have exclaimed that I have perfect teeth)..so some will try to get the most money they can out of a person when it isn't necessary.

Also getting braces early may prevent most costly procedures later in life. A friend of mine waiting until she was 25 to fix her overbite and teeth. She ended up needing to have her jaw surgically broken and repositioned, splints, braces etc. The surgery alone cost her close to $5000...not sure how much the braces cost her, but I think around the same amount...if she had gotten this done when she was younger and still growing, she may have been able to avoid the jaw breaking..
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    Also getting braces early may prevent most costly procedures later in life. A friend of mine waiting until she was 25 to fix her overbite and teeth. She ended up needing to have her jaw surgically broken and repositioned, splints, braces etc. The surgery alone cost her close to $5000...not sure how much the braces cost her, but I think around the same amount...if she had gotten this done when she was younger and still growing, she may have been able to avoid the jaw breaking..

I had the braces in my teens, and then had the surgery at age 16 - my jaw wasn't broken, but it was moved around. My mouth was wired shut for six weeks (an effective, but unpleasant weight loss plan btw!), NOT fun. I'm not convinced now that I really needed the jaw procedure, it was done more for a preventative measure. Fortunately my parents were well insured at the time.

Also, I was brought up in a rural area - but there was no one who could do any of this where I grew up, had to go to Halifax regularly for my orthodontic appointments.

Z

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachlover View Post
    Don't forget about "Invisilign" especially if it's some minor problems...and I can recommend a great dentist that does this, low cost....
    I recommend invisilign as well. My boyfriend is currently using them and he gets new "mouth-ware" lol every two weeks (or more) and its a lot cheaper than braces which I had when I was young

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information