User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by frugal_gal View Post
    If I understand, you have 1 year to use up the gift card?
    in ON, it is illegal for GCs to have an expiry date or inactivity fees.
    Last edited by travelgeek; Sun, Nov 1st, 2009 at 09:07 PM.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

If I understand, you have 1 year to use up the gift card?

Hard to take advantage of bonus days, etc as I don't buy enough at once to get the extra points; I'd end up spending money on stuff I don't need or want just to reach the minimum required to spend to get points. But getting a GC for say $50 to earn bonus points this Tues/Wed and then use that card over whatever time frame would make total sense for me. Earn a few extra points on occasion to add to the few regular points I get when I need something at SDM.
    After 12 months of no activity on a SDM gift card they may start to assess a small service charge each month, depending on local laws.

Check that fine print. A bonus points event usually excludes the purchase of "electronic gift cards" to get those bonus points. So, usually you can't just go and buy a giftcard to get bonus points.
    Last edited by mcminsen; Sun, Nov 1st, 2009 at 09:06 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

somehow i feel like i will be rejected when I try to buy a gas card using a shoppers drugmart gift card.... anyone encounter this?

Trading Score
    71 (100%)

Is the SDM Optimum card good until next year too? Or do we start all over again next year?
    I Love you; not for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.

Tradelist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/102892-...t-12th-canada/

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sampler View Post
    somehow i feel like i will be rejected when I try to buy a gas card using a shoppers drugmart gift card.... anyone encounter this?
    I haven't done that but there have been some posters who claim to do it. It's worth a try. If they don't take the SDM gift card as payment then just try somewhere else.

Just imagine if your granny had given you a $500 SDM giftcard to help get you through your school year (nice granny!)... well you should be able to buy anything in the store with the SDM gift card, except another SDM gift card, of course.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
    After 12 months of no activity on a SDM gift card they may start to assess a small service charge each month, depending on local laws.

Check that fine print. A bonus points event usually excludes the purchase of "electronic gift cards" to get those bonus points. So, usually you can't just go and buy a giftcard to get bonus points.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder...I was reviewing the email SDM sent and doesn't say anything about the regular SDM gift cards being excluded from items that could not earn bonus points. In any case, even if I end up with just the regular points that's ok; better to get the points on the purchase of $50 GC and then earn points when paying form my purchases using the GC! That will earn me some points a bit faster.

From other threads, I gather that, unless specified as excluded, the regular SDM GC gets you at least regular points.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnie View Post
    Is the SDM Optimum card good until next year too? Or do we start all over again next year?
    Your Shoppers Optimum points card should be good for many years. I've had mine so long it's starting to get worn out. It's just the PLUS status that wouldn't get renewed for another year if you didn't manage to get 10,000 regular points in this year.

Mom on a Mission
    Trading Score
    41 (98%)

does anyone know if I am a plus member and I reedem the points on bonus redemption do those points show up asap? ie/ could I reedem again that day using those 10,000 points?
    My Savings So far!
    Total Spent : 13.47
    Total Saved : 20.91

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have used SDM cards to buy Chapters, Esso, Best Buy and Second Cup gift cards. That is how I have achieved Plus Status. I always buy SDM cards and then use them to buy Gift Cards that we use as gifts or personal spending at other stores. Great way to rack up base points and I still get points on my regular credit card that I use to buy the SDM card in the first place

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Yes, thanks for the reminder...I was reviewing the email SDM sent and doesn't say anything about the regular SDM gift cards being excluded from items that could not earn bonus points. In any case, even if I end up with just the regular points that's ok; better to get the points on the purchase of $50 GC and then earn points when paying form my purchases using the GC! That will earn me some points a bit faster.

From other threads, I gather that, unless specified as excluded, the regular SDM GC gets you at least regular points.
    Yup, unless SDM were to make a big change, then the purchase of a SDM gift card gets you at least REGULAR points.

There was one recent points event where you got some BONUS points for simply purchasing a SDM gift card. It was for the "Parents Load and Lend" card. A lot of us ran out and bought as much as we could because it was a rare opportunity to get BONUS points on the purchase of a SDM giftcard.

Thanks to travelgeek for the clarification on expiry dates and service fees on giftcards in Ontario (post #16). I almost feel like I should be adding "YMMV" (Your Market May Vary) after every thing I say about SDM and it's points program. That being said, every shopper should take everything they read here with at least a grain of salt and do their own due diligence.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmommy1228 View Post
    does anyone know if I am a plus member and I reedem the points on bonus redemption do those points show up asap? ie/ could I reedem again that day using those 10,000 points?
    It's been a while since we had a bonus redemption day but I did a 75,000 point redemption and I seem to remember seeing the 10,000 point kickback on my receipt right away. I'm not 100% certain... but yes, I think you probably could do a 75,000 point redemption, get your 10,000 points back and then redeem that 10,000 on the very next transaction.

Also, I think you get those kickbacks of points on a 40,000 or 75,000 point redemption any time you redeem. I don't think you have to wait for the bonus redemption day to get that. But, of course, we like to get the most for our points so bonus redemption day is the best time.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmommy1228 View Post
    Check your last Shoppers receipt or check your points online and they will tell you if you plus status.You get the 10,000 bonus points for redeeming right away and you can redeem again that day.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

a tangent question...
    I was rereading the small print on the flyer regarding exclusions to earning the bonus points today and tomorrow. Electronic gift card purchases won't earn bonus points....is the regular SDM gift card considered an electronic gift card? or is an electronic gift card say a gift card for Best Buy or Future Shop? (I don't even know if SDM has those kinds of gift cards, just using an example)

Thanks

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

a tangent question...
    I was rereading the small print on the flyer regarding exclusions to earning the bonus points today and tomorrow. Electronic gift card purchases won't earn bonus points....is the regular SDM gift card considered an electronic gift card? or is an electronic gift card say a gift card for Best Buy or Future Shop? (I don't even know if SDM has those kinds of gift cards, just using an example)

Thanks
    The SDM gift card is an "electronic gift card" (funny old terminology, isn't it?) and it's not one of the things you can buy to get the BONUS points.

But let's not confuse these two separate transactions:

-buy a SDM gift card and get regular points (that helps get you to PLUS status) and you can use it whenever you have to pay for anything at SDM (it's as good as cash)

-the USE of a SDM gift card to pay for your bonus points deal purchasing is fine.

It's the PURCHASING of any electronic gift card that is (usually) excluded from the bonus points deals. Capiche?

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta_Girl View Post
    I have used SDM cards to buy Chapters, Esso, Best Buy and Second Cup gift cards. That is how I have achieved Plus Status. I always buy SDM cards and then use them to buy Gift Cards that we use as gifts or personal spending at other stores. Great way to rack up base points and I still get points on my regular credit card that I use to buy the SDM card in the first place
    Thanks for letting us know your experience!

I gotta look at that little trick to see if I can funnel more money through the SDM gift cards and get more points. If you do any spending at any of those retailers that sell their gift cards at SDM then it makes sense to buy them at SDM with a SDM giftcard. And yes, I pay for all my SDM gift cards with my Shoppers Optimum Mastercard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information