User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

A few months ago I bought a $100 SDM gift card (because I actually remembered to that day, lol, as a way to get more points) and the cashier did not give me my points (part-time, weekend girl). She said they no longer give points for any gift cards.

I went in again on either the Monday or Tuesday and told the full time, weekday cashier that I did not get points for buying an SDM gift card on the weekend, and she said they still give them for SDM cards just not other GCs. She even showed me the internal memo taped to the desk by the lotto machine (the manager was in the back, she told me to come around and look at it, lol. I am a regular there!)

She then called the front-end supervisor out from the cash office, I told her, and she confirmed, yes you were supposed to get your points. I had kept my receipt in my wallet knowing that I was coming in to inquire about it.... she took my receipt and my Optimum card and credited me with the 1000 Optimum points that I should have received upon the purchase of the $100.00 gift card and said they would be speaking to all the cashiers to clarify that you do get points on SDM gift cards but not other gift cards.

Last edited by thecountess; Wed, Nov 11th, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always buy something else (gum usually) when I buy my SDM gift cards. That gets around the whole debate of swiping the card. Just checked an old receipt. On October 7 I bought a $50 SDM card and a pack of jujubes $2 and got 520 regular points.

I frequently buy other gift cards with SDM cards and have never had a problem. I don't get points on the other stores cards but do on the original purchase of the SDM cards.

I am planning on going in this week and buying a $25 SDM card with my $25 Nestea gift card. That way I am ready for the weekend shopping trip!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

If you were organized you could get a lot of points for buying other gift cards. Like if you knew you were going to swiss chalet for dinner you could stop at SDM, buy cara gift card with SDM gift card and get optimum points. Even more if you bought SDM gift card with Optimum mastercard. Amazing!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    56 (100%)

So if I was to buy a $75 SDM gift card on a 20X points day, would I get 20 times the points then?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Balllot View Post
    So if I was to buy a $75 SDM gift card on a 20X points day, would I get 20 times the points then?
    You only get regular points buying a Shoppers gift card.

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In preparation for this Saturday's 20X the points event, I just attended my local SDM to buy a gift card and get the regular points. I wasn't sure if this one would be a minimum $50 or $75 event, so I asked. The cashier wasn't sure, but said that usually it is min. $50 (true...except when it is fragrance/cosmetic...then it tends to be $75).

Anyhow, I then passed the $50 gift card to her, and she looked at me like I had a toaster for a head. "What do you want?" she asked. Seriously. "I want to buy this gift card," I responded.

She suddenly developed a major attitude and wouldn't use words to communicate with me. When I passed her my Optimum card she held her scanner out and waited for me to move it to within her scanner range. When it became time to give me the total, she simply said, "50." Period.

My goodness, you'd think the points were coming directly off her pay cheque. What the bleep? Why the attitude over doing this?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Sass View Post
    In preparation for this Saturday's 20X the points event, I just attended my local SDM to buy a gift card and get the regular points. I wasn't sure if this one would be a minimum $50 or $75 event, so I asked. The cashier wasn't sure, but said that usually it is min. $50 (true...except when it is fragrance/cosmetic...then it tends to be $75).

Anyhow, I then passed the $50 gift card to her, and she looked at me like I had a toaster for a head. "What do you want?" she asked. Seriously. "I want to buy this gift card," I responded.

She suddenly developed a major attitude and wouldn't use words to communicate with me. When I passed her my Optimum card she held her scanner out and waited for me to move it to within her scanner range. When it became time to give me the total, she simply said, "50." Period.

My goodness, you'd think the points were coming directly off her pay cheque. What the bleep? Why the attitude over doing this?
    Oh come on! I LOL as I read your post. This is my chuckle for the day.

You one upped her on this one! Now that the moment is over, you have to chuckle with the cashiers in different stores with their attitudes like the one you had over sdm pts, price matching, etc., bottom line is "nobody is stopping the cashiers from doing what we do, collecting pts, using coupons, etc." I suggest they should take a "chill pill" as it's only going to get worse with Christmas coming up and the cashiers are going to be even busier.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Is there are list of all (other retailer) GCs that they carry? I went to the website it only shows 5-6 different ones. I'm just curious as which different ones that they have. Do they allow you to use SDM GC to buy other GCs there?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Sass View Post

Hey Nice Sass. I'm heading to SDM to buy a few items & also a SDM gc & yup, I'm going to use my existing SDM gc to do it as well. Ha. Ha. I hope I don't get "attitude" like what happened to you as you didn't deserve to be treated like that.

Grateful for the savings
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwis-mom View Post
    Is there are list of all (other retailer) GCs that they carry? I went to the website it only shows 5-6 different ones. I'm just curious as which different ones that they have. Do they allow you to use SDM GC to buy other GCs there?
    I'm not sure if you can use a SDM GC to purchase other GCs, but I do know that you can't use your points to buy any GCs.

Regarding GCs carried, I think it varies by store; some have the "Experience" gift cards, which offer a whole range of things, like spa escapes and golfing, but smaller stores don't seem to have these.

As for retailers, I'm trying to think of what I can remember seeing there; maybe we can work on a list: Pier One, Cineplex Odeon, Chapters Indigo, Kelsey's/Swiss Chalet/Montana's.
    Last edited by Nice Sass; Fri, Nov 20th, 2009 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Illogical order

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information