User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Today I bought a Chapters gift card at SDM. The cashier swiped my Optimum card at the start of the transaction, and I paid for the gift card with the SDM MC. I noticed afterwards that I did not get any OP on that purchase. It's my first time purchasing a gift card at SDM - should I have received OP?

If I should have, will SDM give those points to me retroactively if I go back?

Thanks for your help.
    This thread is currently associated with: Indigo Chapters Coles Bookstore, Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

No you don't get optimum points for gift cards at SDM.

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

You do get Optimum points for purchasing a SDM gift card, just not for all the other gift cards.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Did SDM used to give OP on purchases of gift cards, because many sites that discuss "strategies to get more OP" talk about buying gift cards to get more points.

Trading Score
    249 (100%)

Whenever I've purchased a SDM Gift Card, I've gotten the points. They won't give points on the other gift cards that you can buy at SDM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

They mean that you buy the SDM GC and then use that for your purchases. I believe you can buy the SDM GC and then use it to buy another GC.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jojos_n_kelowna View Post
    You do get Optimum points for purchasing a SDM gift card, just not for all the other gift cards.
    I don't get optimum points for buying a SDM GC. I used to but I have no luck these days anymore. They told me it was a mistake when I was given points before. I didn't want to push my luck so I just stopped buying SDM gift card

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

You will at least get the points that you should with you optimum mastercard (better then nothing). It's still more than using you mastercard at chapter's to buy a g/c there because you get more points per dollar transaction when you use your SDM Mastercard at SDM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrylj View Post
    They mean that you buy the SDM GC and then use that for your purchases. I believe you can buy the SDM GC and then use it to buy another GC.
    Has anyone actually done this? I can just imagine the withering stare from the cashier for doing this.

Trading Score
    317 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrylj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awongtse View Post
    Has anyone actually done this? I can just imagine the withering stare from the cashier for doing this.
    YES, I do this all the time, so do many SCers on here.
    __________________________________________________ ____________

Quote Originally Posted by marcianne View Post
    I don't get optimum points for buying a SDM GC. I used to but I have no luck these days anymore. They told me it was a mistake when I was given points before. I didn't want to push my luck so I just stopped buying SDM gift card
    Marcianne, you should email SDM from their website 'Contact Us' page and explain that your SDM is not swiping your Optimum card when purchasing SDM Gift Card...they will probably give you some SDM points for your troubles....but in order to get around the cashiers not swiping your card, just buy something with your GC like a pack of gum or whatever so that they swipe your card....then you'll see your points show up on the receipt.

Suj
    Female
    moneysaver
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can definitely get optimum points when purchase a SDM gift card. Last week i went to a different shoppers, didnt get the points and then called. First they said no and then they told me to read the terms and conditions as posted on the shoppers site. It said clearly that points are given for purchasing SDM gift card - however not for other cards eg. ESSO. (If you get them for ESSO good for you) - hope this helps.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Suj View Post
    You can definitely get optimum points when purchase a SDM gift card. Last week i went to a different shoppers, didnt get the points and then called. First they said no and then they told me to read the terms and conditions as posted on the shoppers site. It said clearly that points are given for purchasing SDM gift card - however not for other cards eg. ESSO. (If you get them for ESSO good for you) - hope this helps.
    Not necessarily so for non-SDM electronic gift cards. On Oct. 29th, in the SDM flyer there was a promo for itunes cards. I bought (4) $25. gc & got 5000 pts. I think it was buy $50 worth& get 2500 pts. Since Christmas is coming up, I bought 2 for my friend's teenagers and they other 2 I will be donating to a fund raiser for a silent auction. Can't go wrong with these if kids have ipods. Therefore, always scan throught the flyer twice so you don't miss anything & then circle the item with a blk Sharpie or write it down. Heck, I only looked at the flyer 3 times before I noticed it as some of their ads kind of blends in sometimes.

As for the SDM gc, I've always gotten pts for my cards and the cashiers have always asked for my Optimum card or I have it out already with my credit card in hand. However, I've never tried to buy another gc of any type with my SDM gc.

Trading Score
    194 (100%)

yes, it depends on whether or not they are having a points promotion on other gc's, but regularly you would only get points on sdm gc's.
    Want Amazon.ca or other gift cards? Join Swagbucks and Irazoo! $515 redeemed to date.

My blog: http://seapotato.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

In the "Discuss and Request Deals and Coupons" forum, in Lynnie's thread called "Question about SDM points", on post #24, Alberta_Girl says:

"I have used SDM cards to buy Chapters, Esso, Best Buy and Second Cup gift cards. That is how I have achieved Plus Status. I always buy SDM cards and then use them to buy Gift Cards that we use as gifts or personal spending at other stores. Great way to rack up base points and I still get points on my regular credit card that I use to buy the SDM card in the first place."

I've also heard a few other posters say that they use SDM gift cards to pay for other retailer gift cards that SDM sell. I haven't done it yet, but I think it would be worth a try. I probably wouldn't do it all at one time, though.

Sleep Deprived
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

When SDM had an offer way back in August for bonus points for buying ESSO GCs, I used my Mastercard to buy SDM GC's, then used those to buy the ESSO GC's. I got points for the SDM GC's and points for the ESSO GC's, so yes, it can be done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information