• 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By Zonny
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I know I've posted more than once about kitchen gadgets, and I think that more that one of us are interested in these things.

I just received this 'Carrot Curler' from Amazon - http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's really neat, works much like a manual pencil sharpener but much bigger. You twist your carrot in it just like you're sharpening a pencil, and and what comes out looks like big carrot pencil shavings, which you can make look like flowers to garnish a plate (or feed your kid, flowers are much more fun to eat than plain old carrots!). You can cook them after if that's what floats your boat, my DS is into raw veggies these days, so that's what we do. You can also use cucumbers or other similar shaped veggies. I tried potatoes tonight, my potatoes were really too big to work. I will try English cucumbers next.

I also have this mandoline, but I bought it Costco for $22 instead of Amazon. http://www.amazon.ca/OXO-Good-Grips-...ndoline+slicer

It's VERY sharp, so you need to use great caution even when you're just handling it, and when you're cutting things, always use the guard. It takes a bit of getting used to to take it apart and put it back together, I'm a pro now. I used it on potatoes tonight, tossed them in olive oil, sprinkled with salt/pepper and baked them. DH and DS LOVED them. I've used it on apples to put in DS's lunch. Cut the apple in half, remove the seeds with a small scoop, slice it on the mandolin and then hold the slices together with an elastic so it looks like a whole apple. They don't brown much if they're held together.

So what do you have? Love it, hate it?
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com, Apple, Costco
    Natalka and saavygal1234 like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I bought myself a big gadgets this year a kitchsnaid stand mixer! But nexf on my list is the Rotato. Saw it had mixed reviews on amazon. Then I saw it today on tv on a kids show (Emily Yeung) a potato farmer was using it. That gives me enough confidence to buy one.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    anisa likes this.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmewhoelse View Post
    I bought myself a big gadgets this year a kitchsnaid stand mixer! But nexf on my list is the Rotato. Saw it had mixed reviews on amazon. Then I saw it today on tv on a kids show (Emily Yeung) a potato farmer was using it. That gives me enough confidence to buy one.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Oh, I do have a KitchenAid mixer, but it was my mother's and is over 20 years old. Had it repaired when I got it over 10 years ago, works fine now. I'm lazy, use it for mashing potatoes and shredding meat (put in warm chicken/beef/pork and turn it on with the regular paddle, shreds your meat in seconds!).

Let us know how your Rotato works out!
    Angela273 and gourmetsue like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL, wouldn't it be nice if a KA mixer were priced as a kitchen gadget? Then I'd have one!

I think I've got a pretty good variety of kitchen gadgets - I've cut down on acquiring more because of clutter and space issues!

Love the KA pizza cutter - got it on clearance from The Source, of all places, when they were clearing out kitchen stuff online. No effort cutting through any type of pizza, it's amazing - it's heavy, sharp, easy to clean, comes with a plastic guard.
    I think the newer model doesn't have the 'bent' handle, though.

When I discovered this, I now use it for SO many things - known usually as a bench scraper, most often used by bakers while making dough, I use it mostly to transport veggies and foods when cutting them.

Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Jan 2nd, 2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Angela273, Zonny and SnowFlakey like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I have a dough scraper too, and a similar shaped item that is wavy, used for cutting veggies with crinkle cut.

Editing to say, got my Cuisinart Griddler today. I cooked burgers on it since it's -20 outside and even I have limits as to when I will BBQ (although I have been known to shovel the deck so I can grill). Worked REALLY well, am pleased with it so far.
    Last edited by Zonny; Thu, Jan 2nd, 2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273 and SnowFlakey like this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Over the years ive collected so many kitchen gadgets it wasnt even funny. But ive narrowed it down to my favorites which i use all the time. Here they are

Orange pealer from Tupperware
    Egg separator from Tupperware
    Egg lifter from boiling water from Tupperware
    Egg/mushroom/strawberry slicer (real sturdy one, not dollar store item)
    stringbean julienne slicer for homemade French beans
    very small ladle for sauces
    several round thingies with handles to made round eggs for egg mcmuffins
    Round mesh thingy to put on top of frying pans to stop splatter
    Rubber hand grip for opening jars (best thing ever invented)
    My trusty garlic peeler/smasher because i make my own garlic butter
    Pill cutter
    Last edited by SnowFlakey; Fri, Jan 3rd, 2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding 1 more item
    Natalka and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

OH, I totally agree with Tupperware's orange peeler - absolutely awesome!
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I got a potato ricer and mandoline this year and I love them!
    No more lumpy or gloppy mashed potatoes and perfect slices and julienned pieces of food. :D

My KitchenAid mixer- it's great for lots of things, but I mostly use it for kneading dough for bread/pizza crust.
    It takes me 5 minutes to make an awesome cookie dough. I keep pre-scooped dough the freezer, for those fresh cookie hankerings.

Finally bought a pizza stone for $10! I wish I had purchased one earlier- it's awesome!!

I'm also an owner of a Magic Bullet, which I never thought I'd use....but I was so wrong. I use this thing almost daily!
    I've made my own fresh ground flours, coffee, nut butters, various smoothies/purees/soups etc. and clean up is a breeze.
    Now I kind of want the Nutri Bullet.

Last year, I inherited a manual pasta machine from my grandfather. I haven't used it yet. Soon though, hopefully!

My bf has Star Wars cookie cutters that imprint the character's faces on them as well as Star Wars pancake molds. lol
    Oh and a Star Trek Enterprise pizza cutter (along with a regular one).

I also have a tonne of spatulas as I love using them to cook/bake and collect unique dinnerware/linen and nicknacks for when I do my food photography.
    Natalka, Angela273 and SnowFlakey like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    I got a potato ricer and mandoline this year and I love them!
    No more lumpy or gloppy mashed potatoes and perfect slices and julienned pieces of food. :D

My KitchenAid mixer- it's great for lots of things, but I mostly use it for kneading dough for bread/pizza crust.
    It takes me 5 minutes to make an awesome cookie dough. I keep pre-scooped dough the freezer, for those fresh cookie hankerings.

Finally bought a pizza stone for $10! I wish I had purchased one earlier- it's awesome!!

I'm also an owner of a Magic Bullet, which I never thought I'd use....but I was so wrong. I use this thing almost daily!
    I've made my own fresh ground flours, coffee, nut butters, various smoothies/purees/soups etc. and clean up is a breeze.
    Now I kind of want the Nutri Bullet.

Last year, I inherited a manual pasta machine from my grandfather. I haven't used it yet. Soon though, hopefully!

My bf has Star Wars cookie cutters that imprint the character's faces on them as well as Star Wars pancake molds. lol
    Oh and a Star Trek Enterprise pizza cutter (along with a regular one).

I also have a tonne of spatulas as I love using them to cook/bake and collect unique dinnerware/linen and nicknacks for when I do my food photography.
    I do like my pizza stone, haven't made pizza in awhile. I used to have an expensive one that i got from Pampered Chef, then I turned on the wrong burner on the stove one day when it was there, the burner underneath it turned on and it broke. Since then I got one for $10 from Sobeys or someplace, works just as good! A scraper is a good thing to clean it, as you don't really want to soak those in water.
    Angela273 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, I'm jealous of the Star Wars stuff!

Have had a pizza stone for ages, but never have used it.

Would love a potato ricer, but the cost doesn't justify the few times I'd be using it.
    Angela273 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Oh, I'm jealous of the Star Wars stuff!

Have had a pizza stone for ages, but never have used it.

Would love a potato ricer, but the cost doesn't justify the few times I'd be using it.
    I've also done foccacia on my pizza stone, works great for that. I make the dough in my bread machine, top with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, mushrooms, mozzarella and Parmesan. And if you're serving homemade pizza, it keeps it warm while you're working on your first slice.
    Angela273 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Name:  mortarandpestlef071m.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  15.8 KB

I bought one of these back in 2001 for $15 in a small Asian supermarket in Montreal..It's awesome. I also have the wok we bought back in 1986 for a coupla quid.

The Star Wars/Star Trek stuff sounds fun...I'm wanting to order some Who cookie cutters..
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

My KA purchase helps me cook and bake more. Im not sure whats wrong with me perhaps arthritis of some sort, so this helps with the hars work. Ive also bought the Rotato because peeling potatos is one of my most hated chores(it hurts). I also used to own a b&d gizmo can opener, bought at a garage sale for 10.00. I didnt know then what a deal it was. Had it for almost 20 years and it finally died. Ive tried a few hand held openers and a few electric, neither have lasted long. I reaalllly wanted another gizmo which have been discontinued!. I finally won one on ebay today. I paid a pretty penny for it with s&h and import fees but less then amazon price and for me well worth evry penny spent. Had I known I couldve just bought a new battery as its rechargeable
    Last edited by itsmewhoelse; Sun, Jan 19th, 2014 at 12:39 AM.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker, for it involves hours of walking round in circles, apparently doing nothing." --Helen Dillon

Thread Information