User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi there,
    I am somewhat new to this website and so far, like what I read. I do have a question or thought I'd like to throw out there and see what people think.

Does getting a good deal or a freebie trump the values of the maker of the product or the store you get it at?

This question stems from a post I read earlier today about "Cleaning products". (NB - no judgment of the person who posted it or those who will redeem coupons for this deal) . There was a good deal for the soap (Method).

However, their latest marketing campaign likens the presence of dirt or germs in your shower to an intruder (rapist IMO) and the ''bubbles'' make the woman in the commercial do things she does not want to. I find the commercial completely reprehensible and unacceptable. Therefore, I will choose to not buy this soap, even though the deal is very attractive.

Another example is WM. We know their products are made with child labour and poor working conditions. Also, they (like HBC-Zellers and others, not just targeting WM) keep employees (usually female) on part-time status so as not to pay for benefits and don't allow stores to unionize.

Do you consider this when choosing what stores to shop at? Does it influence where you shop or what you buy? What makes you decide to shop or not at a certain store or buy a certain product? Do you believe it is worth the extra expense to buy fair-trade products (e.g. coffee or chocolate) or locally-produced foods?

Again, this is not a judgment of those who posted in the fora or who will benefit from deals in those stores. I'm just curious to know what influences a person's consumer patterns.

Thanks. Sorry for the long post.
    This thread is currently associated with: Zellers
    Last edited by itsjustmebub; Wed, Nov 25th, 2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: removed reference to "scrubbing bubbles" has nothing to do with them

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I personally hate my walmart for other reasons ...but just to point out - some walmarts do have unions!

The only ethics I practice is I try to buy products that don't test on animals.
    Last edited by sarajk; Tue, Nov 24th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The two I knew that unionized shut down within weeks of becoming unionized. If others have succeeded since then and stayed open, I'm not aware of that. Please let me know which ones they are!

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

IMO, if you look hard enough into anything you can find a debate or questions the ethics about everything we buy or watch.

Not everything sold at the 'retail giants' is made with child labour. I once worked for a Canadian clothing manufacturer that was not doing well...until we got the Walmart and Costco deals. I owe the Walmart account for being able to save the down payment on my house.

Sorry but I'm giving this thread a thumbs down... seem a bit like picking a fight for my taste. Too many heated items for one post.

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

I gave the thread a thumbs up because I think it *could* be a good discussion.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Interesting topic.

I have a few "values" that I won't deviate from

I support the North American auto worker. All our vehicles are made in unionized plants, including the one European car.

I won't eat veal.

I won't buy Chinese toilettries or cosmetics. Plant/product safety and child labour.

I read labels very closely in stores for country of origin.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we have to remember that our country also trades with others, sending our products overseas, possibly intruding on the local producers of certain products in those countries. we are taking jobs away from THOSE ppl.
    the few ppl who are in fact being exploited (grown men and women, not just kids) are being done so because of contracts with north american companies.
    our north american companies, who cry about this and that all the time, cry about being fair, about being just, about taxes, tarrifs, fees and fines... these companies who are made up of equality seeking north americans are screwing with ppl around the world.
    it's easy to make such grandiose statements about morals and values, but the whole world needs a whole hell of a lot of fixing before we can start making blanket statements about such situations.

i have never worked for a union, never had company benefits at any job, altho i have made very good money otherwise. why should i care about unions?
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I dont care...as long as I am getting a good price and good product....

there are bigger issues in our day-to-day lives...
    Tech Mojo: SoftConnect

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kareninottawa View Post
    However, their latest marketing campaign likens the presence of dirt or germs in your shower to an intruder (rapist IMO) and the ''bubbles'' make the woman in the commercial do things she does not want to. I find the commercial completely reprehensible and unacceptable. Therefore, I will choose to not buy this soap, even though the deal is very attractive.
    I have not seen this commercial... now I am curious, lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    i have never worked for a union, never had company benefits at any job, altho i have made very good money otherwise. why should i care about unions?

Do you get statutory holidays off or paid for working on them?

Do you have health and safety regulations in your workplace?

Ever used maternity, disability or any type of special leave (bereavement, etc) at work?

Get paid vacation time?

You have unions to thank for those "perks" in your job.

If you don't want these everyday things that are taken for granted by non-union workers just tell your employer. I'm sure they would be happy to take back these workers rights won for all by unions.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Oh, I wrote a paper on this! Like outsourcing to developing nations. It's a lot harder, and not black and white to argue, because as others have said, this affects, litterally *everything* we buy and consume. I have *nothing* against outsourcing to developing nations, it's just the "race to the bottom" that has occurred BECAUSE of this. I know people here don't like to spend real money on things they purchase, but that's part of the problem. Since we aren't paying what it would cost to actually pay workers at reasonable rates, companies that produce these items aren't going too!

We *ARE* the problem.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

I don't think I'm part of the problem just because I shop to get a good deal. I'm just keeping the wolf from my door, and that's the best I can do in my own circumstances. Being self-employed, I have no Union to assist me in my stuggles. So it's up to me to make the most of my own resources and the opportunities that are out there in the marketplace.

But there are lots of people who have the means to shop at places where prices are higher, and if they feel that is helping the economy and the world, then that is what they shoud do.
    But most of us are in the other bracket, and every dollar counts.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"But there are lots of people who have the means to shop at places where prices are higher, and if they feel that is helping the economy and the world, then that is what they shoud do.
    But most of us are in the other bracket, and every dollar counts."

Well put Valiant. We all make chioces every day about what, where, when and whom to buy from, but when you are counting the dollars that choice becomes very easy for me, the product that will do the job or taste as good and saves me the most will get tossed in. When things are not so tight then I will worry about the the bigger questions.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I won't lie, that's pretty heartless, and everyone wonders what happened to manufacturing jobs in Canada.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

These are all very good replies! I was not trying to spark a debate on the validity of unions, the use of child labour and other very controversial issues. I think we all have opinions on this and I was trying to understand if any of these opinions guide where you shop and what you buy.

The thought was about the commercial and its use of a rape scenario to sell its product. For those interested in the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_g2vTFert4

For me, the way women are portrayed in the media and how women are exploited in advertising is enough of an incentive to buy or stay away from a product.

I was just wondering if anyone out there thinks like this. Some very good posts! Thanks for participating!!
    Last edited by itsjustmebub; Wed, Nov 25th, 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: removed reference to "scrubbing bubbles" has nothing to do with them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information