User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are planning a big purchase in the near future from a big box store then you are in luck.

I have recently learned a way to save up to $100.00 on your next trip to the box store.

How does it work?

Lets say for example you are in the market for a new TV from Futureshop. Before you go out and buy the TV for full price go to eBay.com and search "Futureshop gift card." Often times you can purchase a gift card for up to $100 less than its value. In fact just recently I purchased $500 Futureshop gift card for $450 shipped.

Now you may be thinking what if the seller lies about that balance on the gift card? Well you can feel confident that you are protected by PayPal if the balance does not match the description.

The options for savings are endless, you can purchase gift cards for just about any major franchise even restaurants.
    This thread is currently associated with: Ebay, Future Shop
    Last edited by tomrob; Sat, Jan 30th, 2010 at 07:29 PM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

It makes me very nervous. I guess if they had a great rating......... Im way to nervous. Even with the paypal protection.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Very good point regarding the feedback. General rule of thumb it to only purchase form sellers with a 98.5% or higher feedback rating with a minimum of 100 sales. A seller's reputation is very important to them so they will not disappoint you.

The bottom line is that this is a very safe practice. There is a reason eBay is so successful today.

Teachers Have Class
    Trading Score
    520 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tomrob View Post
    If you are planning a big purchase in the near future from a big box store then you are in luck.

I have recently learned a way to save up to $100.00 on your next trip to the box store.

How does it work?

Lets say for example you are in the market for a new TV from Futureshop. Before you go out and buy the TV for full price go to eBay.com and search "Futureshop gift card." Often times you can purchase a gift card for up to $100 less than its value. In fact just recently I purchased $500 Futureshop gift card for $450 shipped.

Now you may be thinking what if the seller lies about that balance on the gift card? Well you can feel confident that you are protected by PayPal if the balance does not match the description.

The options for savings are endless, you can purchase gift cards for just about any major franchise even restaurants.
    Gotta ask . . . are you, by chance, a seller of gift cards on ebay?

Karen
    Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Not a chance. I would never, ever buy a gift card from someone I didn't know personally and know how they got it, after learning first-hand how many people are scam artists.

We were in Walmart one day and this guy came up to us, he said he had a Walmart gift card and he couldn't find anything he wanted, but he was moving to where there wasn't a Walmart and wouldn't have another chance to use it... offered it to us for $80 and said it had a value of $120. My mom took him up on it, had a cashier validate the card and yes it was good.

After he left, the cashier told us that was the third time he had done that. Later on we talked to security and found that he had been apprehended. He had been doing the same thing at various WM locations - stealing things then returning them with no receipt, getting a gift card and selling it. He was making out... um, like a bandit.
    Always looking for reasonably healthy food coupons, non-dairy products, and friendly cleaners (esp Method brand).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

A seller's reputation is very important to them so they will not disappoint you.
    This is totally not true.

A seller in Prince George, BC had 100% with 458 feedback.
    Had some gc's listed.
    I bid on a few for my father.

They ripped off 6 other people that week. (that I know of)

I did pay with paypal but it took a month of fighting, phone calls and emails to get my money back.

Also the OP failed to mention that paypal won't ALWAYS help you!
    We're Canadian therefore considered international and they don't back you up as well as they do Americans.
    Last edited by sarajk; Sat, Jan 30th, 2010 at 09:25 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a newb question- so if you buy a GC from someone who lives in US, can it be used in Canada, will retailers like Best Buy/Walmart accept it?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Absolutely Not! My eBay name is tomrob90 and I am not a seller!!!

I have used this technique multiple times with success and thought that I would share it. Im not sure why so many people are being negative towards this post. It is not sketchy to sell gift cards. People get gift cards for the birthday, Christmas, and contests that they don't want so they sell them.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That had to be fake rep seller. These fake sellers sell coupons for $0.01 to inflate there feedback into the high numbers. This type of eBayer can easily be detected by looking at the type of items they sold to obtain that rating. Usually their items will go for $0.01 and they do not even ask the buyer to pay, all they want is feedback.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I have no idea where you live but in summer 2009 it was in multiple Toronto papers they were warning people NOT to buy gift cards. There was multiple gift cards purchased with stolen credit cards. They appeared fine for the first few days then once the business discovered the credit card was stolen the gc were now worthless. Leaving people with empty gc and out cash.

Plus I'm sure on this forum the phrase "If its too good to be true, then it likely is" comes to mind.
    Just like all the fake coupons!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

That had to be fake rep seller. These fake sellers sell coupons for $0.01 to inflate there feedback into the high numbers. This type of eBayer can easily be detected by looking at the type of items they sold to obtain that rating. Usually their items will go for $0.01 and they do not even ask the buyer to pay, all they want is feedback.

I'm not a moron, I know how to check a sellers feedback and can see how many years they have been on ebay.
    But thanks for trying.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I think everyone just needs to be very careful and verify the cards in store with the seller. If the person looks sketchy, then beware. I have bought from people in person and i have had success. But i wouldn't buy from online like ebay without seeing people. Great idea, but buyer beware especially if you think it's too good to be true.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am not going to spend anymore time rebutting these negative postings. This is a honest technique to save money.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Well in that RARE case I hope you left him terrible feedback to warn other eBayers.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Ok I'm sorry but I just can't resist myself.

You HAVE sold atleast one gc on ebay! lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information