User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

wow I'm shocked to see that the average score is only 620.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the info. I keep saying I want to get a copy but then I never got around to it. Is there a better company to get it from or are they all the same? Anyone have any problems with a company?
    One by one, the penguins slowly steal my sanity

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

We use Trans Union, because our mortgage broker said most lenders go off that score. We haven't had issues with any of them, but our Equifax and Trans Union scores are different by about 25-50 points.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I use Equifax, as that seems to be the one that my bank uses.

Also, to answer clarebear's post, I will write about ways to work on our credit scores...
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

congrats on the main page blog woofy

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Argh. My credit is already destroyed and I am only 22 years old.

Please take a second to follow my brand new blog:
    Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by orv View Post
    and when it comes to finance its like chinese to me... lol)
    LOL........sort of like what couponing is to me.... you people are finacial wizards when it comes to coupons
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
    I have nothing to do today and hope to be half done by noon.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For those of you with bad credit scores, don't fret. My wife and I both had pretty dodgy credit histories before we met, but I guess we kept each other in check. We were together for 2 years when we applied for a mortgage and were both pleasantly surprised to be told (by CIBC) that our ratings were "excellent". We got the mortgage with no problems.

So just pay everything on time, limit the number of credit cards you apply for/use and work to pay off any money you owe. After a couple of years you'll be in great shape -- and have saved yourself hundreds or even thousands in interest payments too.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Two points to make, as this is info I have recently discovered myself:

A.) All banks have a slightly different system for "rating you". Example is: Last year DH & I got a Mortgage...broker told us our score (mid 700's) so I knew it "good. In the fall I wanted to get an increase on my Credit card and my bank (Scotia) explained to me the system they use: They pull the info from the Bureau (TransUnion I think) but they apply there own Letters, A/B/C (all the way to H, H= BAD) But they also have a number. All slightly confusing, but thought I should mention to ppl that all banks have a slightly different way of determining if you are a "risk"

Quote Originally Posted by Woofy View Post
    When you check your own credit score, it doesn't affect the score, as the file will indicate that the credit report was requested by owner.

And yes, when you first apply for credit cards, I believe your score will take a slight hit.

I read somewhere that the hit is something like 50 points, and it takes about 6 months to get back to your original score. (Not proven, just hearsay!)

The 50 point hit can be significant if your credit score is not the greatest. But for people with good credit score, this has minimal impact.

That is one of the reason why you shouldn't apply for too many loans at the same time. And if you are about to renew your mortgage, try not to apply for any loans (like car loans or credit cards) 6 months before your mortgage renewal.

Again, keeping your credit score high while negotiating your mortgage rate will give you the power to negotiate!
    B.) My understanding is that, say when you are getting a mortgage, and you are shopping around the Credit Companies recognize that as consumers we want to shop around and so they will only "ding you" once in the 30 day period. I JUST read an article about this last week, but can't find the link

Trading Score
    55 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetDeals View Post
    For those of you with bad credit scores, don't fret. My wife and I both had pretty dodgy credit histories before we met, but I guess we kept each other in check. We were together for 2 years when we applied for a mortgage and were both pleasantly surprised to be told (by CIBC) that our ratings were "excellent". We got the mortgage with no problems.

So just pay everything on time, limit the number of credit cards you apply for/use and work to pay off any money you owe. After a couple of years you'll be in great shape -- and have saved yourself hundreds or even thousands in interest payments too.
    easy to say, hard to do.
    we are unable to pay everything each month let alone "on time"...
    the joys of life.

Please take a second to follow my brand new blog:
    Belinda's Babblings

I've been away for quite some time so I apologize if I repost a contest by accident! Feel free to message me and let me know if I've done this and I'll delete it : )

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

You can get your credit report once a year from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian. It is free if you do it through snail mail - but if you prefer to get it instantly, you can do so on their websites for a small fee.

Checking your credit report at least once a year is a good way to protect yourself from credit fraud. If you notice any cards/debts that don't actually belong to you, you can alert the credit bureaus right away rather than being surprised when creditors call!

Identity theft is becoming more and more prevalent, and this is a great way to protect yourself.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if you have 3 or more credit cards, try to make at least 1 transaction on all of them. Even a charge of $2. Try not to use the same card all the time. This way your credit gets better as you have used and paid all your credit card bills. If you keep using the same card, then you are scored only by that company, other cards gets stagnated and those companies will not post a good score.
    Eventhough Bell / Rogers and other utility companies dont charge a heavy interest when you dont make the payment - these are the culprits which ruin your score when not paid in time.
    Last edited by srishayini; Tue, Mar 2nd, 2010 at 12:29 PM.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Woofy View Post
    I use Equifax, as that seems to be the one that my bank uses.

Also, to answer clarebear's post, I will write about ways to work on our credit scores...

Is it better to call, fax or snail mail to get a report? I'd like to check our credit records to make sure everything is ok. What kind of information do they need in order to process a request for your credit history? I don't want to share too much info and am not sure which way would be best to get my credit record.

You seem to be very knowledgeable able this sort of thing...which credit bureau do you recommend, how do you usually request a free credit report and what information do you give them (ie do you give them your SIN# or Driver's License or what?) ? Please help!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Kiwis-mom, this is the link to the free Equifax report for. http://www.equifax.com/ecm/canada/EF...equestForm.pdf

You can use that or call them at 1-800-465-7166

For Trans Union here is the form - http://www.transunion.ca/docs/person...st_Form_en.pdf

They require this info :

• Name*
    • Current address*
    • Previous address (*if less than two years at current address)
    • Date of birth*
    • Social Insurance Number (optional)
    • Employment information (optional)
    • Telephone number (optional)
    • Signature*

Here's a link to their contact page for more details. http://www.transunion.ca/sites/ca/pe...e/mail_en.page

Link someone else said, these reports don't include your Credit Score, but the details of your bureau such as open accounts, anything past due, inquiries by creditors, etc.

Hope that helps.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'd use the touch tone phone service to avoid having to mail copies of my ID.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information