User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just got an iphone 3GS, on fido, with a 6GB data plan. Tethering is allowed, and as I'm a light user (I'm assuming anyway, since I haven't gotten a bill yet)...I'm wondering if I should just cancel my home internet service (Rogers) altogether. I don't download too much and I can't see going over 6GB a month. Has anyone done this? Thoughts? Also, as my husband has a blackberry and I have the iphone, both with steep monthly bills, I'm considering cancelling home phone service (Rogers) too. We rarely make long distance calls (I can push for more Skype users in the family), and the price per minute of long distance vs. the cost per month of a home phone...hmm. I guess the concern is for 911 access but I think I'm okay with that since I've had to call 911 from a cell phone in the middle of no where and it worked just fine. Thoughts?
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Fido, Guess, Rogers (Plus)

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Tethering via mobile phone is a bit of a holdover from earlier days, I find. Your internet access speed will be very low - just like dial-up, which is essentially what a moble net plan is - around 56 kilobytes per second. You will find that many services such as webcams or media streaming (audio/video, YouTube, etc) will either not work or will be horribly slow.

As well, the cost of mobile data usage can stack up extremely quickly. Also, you must usually have a separate agreement/plan that will give you a mobile access telephone number and password. (Added cost to your Rogers phone bill).

Skype cannot be used on mobile phones to make free calls.

And every cell phone by law can dial 911, even if there is no time paid on prepaid phones or if the cell phone is not even activated.

In short, tethering is an idea that served people in the past with no access to residential DSL or cable internet, or people who travelled away from their computers. Most cell phones or PDA's now have the capability to browse the net and handle messaging on thier own and are essentially mobile low-performance PC's.

I would enquire as to whether you cal roll your husband's and your own mobile phone plans into one family plan, or if Rogers can bundle your home internet, cable and mobile agreements into a single lower-cost package.

Linux Registered User #426194

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To use a cell phone for your home phone is absolutely workable.

Especially now Bluetooth technology can sink your cell phone with your home phone set easily, I jut got this toy from LondonDrugs http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/p...?idproduct=158 for $39.99, It’s work beautifully.

There is another discussion threads in this forum, even show you how to get unlimited cellphone minutes for only $16 per month. http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/96982-m...irtime-canada/

But, if you want to use a cell phone as your only internet access. I will agree with Scooter, the speed and the cost of mobile data usage is still not there yet.

Thread Information