User Tag List

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

So, I'm looking for a salon that will cut DS' hair...he's 1yr old, and I would like somewhere that will have patience with the little booger since he's got ants in his pants...lol

This isn't his first haircut (he's had 3 prior, given by me, but I now not dare go near him with scissors), so it doesn't matter if it's not a kiddie haircutting place. Beaner's that was at Dartmouth Crossing is now closed, and it's not worth the drive to Bedford to Sharkey's since we live in Shearwater.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    40 (100%)

Usually most will do it. The salon I go to which is Allure on Portland street (by the ferry terminal) in Dartmouth does them. I was there getting my highlights done and a couple took their little guy for his first haircut. Too cute.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My DS was nearly two before he had enough hair for a cut, so don't have much advice for a younger wigglier child. But one bit of advice - bring food! Some favourite treat that you can feed him as they cut.

I just took my boy in to First Choice Haircutters today, they do a fine job with him.

Z

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I can't remember what movie it was from, but the Mom's response was "NyQuil" for everything kid-related.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

NyQuil??? Are you in the wrong thread?

I've taken DS to a corner barbershop and another time to First Choice (with a coupon that came in the mail). Great service for kids at both. At both places, hubby or I sat in the chair and put DS on our laps and that made it much easier. I stay away from kid's haircutters like Sharkey's, their prices are insane!

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Ummm, pretty sure I'm not going to give NyQuil to my 1yr old son in order to get his haircut...that's a little on the "not a friggin chance" side for me...

We actually talked to the hairdresser on base today where DH gets his hair cut and she said she would do it, and she only charges 7$ for kids cuts, so we might try him there and see how it goes. My friend is also a hairdresser and said she would show my how to cut his hair, but like I said, I don't wanna touch the squirmy little bugger with scissors, I'm too scared of poking his eyes out or something! Mind you, I'm also afraid of a total stranger going anywhere near him with a sharp object too...

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I suspect the Nyquil response was a joke.

The first time we got DS's cut, he sat on his dad's lap and it worked out fine. Most hairdresssers have a booster seat, which we've used on subsequent visits.

I wouldn't use a kid's specialty shop I don't think either, although I have heard of places that are mostly for girls that include a spa experience to have with their mommys. THAT would be fun to enjoy with a little girl! But for my boy, #2 clippers on the sides, fairly short on the top is all good.

I've also taken him to the hairdressing school for a cut. Not a bad job, but not as good as First Choice. But I like that we're teaching future hairdressers how to deal with kids.

Even for myself I don't spend a lot on haircuts. I'm very low maintenence, don't even sweat hair that's too short, I know it will grow back.

I did try the Fred salon on Agricola once, paid over $60 for a wash and cut, just to treat myself. I waited I think four weeks for an appointment with him.

While Fred gave me a very good cut, and the experience was very nice (including a relaxing head massage while they shampooed and conditioned), it wasn't worth 4x the price I normally pay for a cut.

Z

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I suspect the Nyquil response was a joke.

The first time we got DS's cut, he sat on his dad's lap and it worked out fine. Most hairdresssers have a booster seat, which we've used on subsequent visits.

I wouldn't use a kid's specialty shop I don't think either, although I have heard of places that are mostly for girls that include a spa experience to have with their mommys. THAT would be fun to enjoy with a little girl! But for my boy, #2 clippers on the sides, fairly short on the top is all good.

I've also taken him to the hairdressing school for a cut. Not a bad job, but not as good as First Choice. But I like that we're teaching future hairdressers how to deal with kids.

Even for myself I don't spend a lot on haircuts. I'm very low maintenence, don't even sweat hair that's too short, I know it will grow back.

I did try the Fred salon on Agricola once, paid over $60 for a wash and cut, just to treat myself. I waited I think four weeks for an appointment with him.

While Fred gave me a very good cut, and the experience was very nice (including a relaxing head massage while they shampooed and conditioned), it wasn't worth 4x the price I normally pay for a cut.

Z
    I'm the same way, I don't like spending too much on something that's just gonna change in a month or so anyway, so I usually go to First Choice as well. When I lived in BC, I would go to the Hair Dressing school and get my hair done there (wash, cut, dye and style was approx 30$...can't go wrong with that). I wasn't aware that there was a hairdressing school here, would you mind letting me know where it is? That way I can book myself something in the near future!

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

im not sure if this applies to everywhere.. but when my mom took my little brother to first choice for his first haircut..(he was around 1) it was FREE.. and he got a certificate.. and a little envelope for his hair
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

The hairdressing school I went to is in Clayton Park at the little strip mall at Lacewood. It's in between Winston's pub and Shoppers Drug Mart up there, it's called HDC.

http://www.hairdesigncentre.com/

Z

Trading Score
    239 (100%)

We took the "First Choice" approach for the little guy's haircut. It wasn't free, but approx 11$, and the hairdresser did an amazing job! He barely squirmed (except when she came near his ears), and it took all in all, about 20min. Of course, we brought chocolate pudding with us to bribe him to sit still, but he was a very brave boy about the whole situation!

Thanks for the suggestions everybody!

Thread Information