User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    137 (100%)

This is a GREAT thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by danam314 View Post
    This completely irks me!!!!!

Everyone in my family says over and over and over "I'd coupon and save money if I had the time". They say it like I have nothing better to do with my time. I have a 6 month old baby teething, crawling and wanting to eat everything. I am busy too.

Example, my sister is a full time student and works. She says she doesn't have the time. In MY opinion She doesn't have the MONEY to not coupon. Forget about the time... you can always find time.
    I love this!!! And I totally agree, guess some are richer then we think.

Quote Originally Posted by kt_9333 View Post
    lol this is so funny, i was in the grocery store the other day and i kept running in to this girl around the same age as me and in her cart kept piling up items that i had coupons for but i didn't want to waltz up and offer them to her, since i had about 7 she could use. I sometimes hand them out in line but i never know how people feel with using a coupon, let alone 7! but i could see she was keeping track of numbers on her fingers so she obviously cared about money...lol so finally i ran into her again and just said" this may sound weird but i have a bunch of coupons for items you have in your cart, do you want them"... she said "heck ya!"... so i busted open "the binder" and she goes" holy smokes!!' ( referring to the magnatude of the giant D ring zip up binder! lol) and she was so thankful that i saved her atleast 6 bucks.... so we went through the cash ( her behind me) and off to my car i went... then she came up to me after and said, " well this may sound weird..." to which i replied, " i just showed you my binder FULL of coupons, i highly doubt its weirder than that!" and she laughed... she asked me for my email since we are both young moms and wanted to see if i wanted to hang out , so i started writing it down for her and part way through she replies...." hey your from freecycle!!!"... LOL

so were hanging out on friday... so made a new friend through coupon-ing...LOL
    That's sooo cool that you made a new friend She sounds great and I am sure we'll see her on here soon Hope you guys have fun tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by truckerofbc View Post
    The masses are for the most part oblivious to the amount of money they can actually save by using one, two or more coupons.

However, there is also a fine line between using coupons and coupon obsession. When you become so obsessed with coupons that it takes away time from your family, time from doing household chores, time from spending time with your children and then there is also a compulsion for some that they have to get it since they have coupons for it...ie stacking because they can and getting multiple items of the same thing over and over without realizing it. I have seen some individuals on here who have collected amazing stashes of bathroom supplies and other beauty items from the pictures, but let's face it...the sales will come and go...do you really need 20 or 30 shampoos stocked up at home or 100 Glade fragrances?
    Will the world stop mass producing shampoo or fragrances and stop giving sales because I might only buy 1 or 2 of that item...My family has 6 living in this household which is at least 2-3 more than the average household and we average a shampoo every 1.5-2 weeks. We also rarely use any fragrances around the house. As a matter of fact, I use my fragrances in the trucks I drive since my boss is a non smoker and the owner part owners are also non smokers so I use 3-4 Ultra Glade Air Fresheners a week to keep my truck smelling fresh and clean and smoke free.
    Yet, sometimes couponing can actually cost me more money in the long run than if I didn't use a coupon and just waited until I actually needed the product. There will always be a coupon for that product somewhere in Canada and with a trade here and there I am sure I could get a good deal. Make sure couponing doesn't become a compulsion for you and have a happy couponing time.
    You are soo right truckerofbc It's crazy how much of somethings people have stocked piled and don't use. I am guilty of stockpiling a lot of stuff at first too but have totally slowed down and what I won't use in 6 months I've given to my sisters. Other then things like tooth brushes and pads those aren't going to go bad and I think are useful to have a stock pile of

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Hope I'm not being disagreeable by disagreeing, but there are a few other considerations:
    1. Some stores are going out of brand-name products, and there may come a time when coupons are actually scarce or nonexistent for certain products.
    2. We know of companies that used to mail out coupons and FPC's, but don't anymore (SC Johnson). We know of coupons which have been discontinued on certain sites (Catelli Healthy Harvest pasta), and limited on others. We know of companies changing their policies regarding reimbursements with coupons (Kelloggs).
    3. A person's circumstances can easily change; loss of a job, health issues, etc. and suddenly there's no money coming in, so a stockpile is one thing you can fall back on.
    4. Stockpiles aren't just for oneself, but are great for making up gift baskets for birthdays, Christmas, etc. so there are always gifts for the family; same goes for donations.
    5. No one knows how the weather, markets, or the economy will affect prices. Better to buy lots at a low price to weather any tough times in store, than to trust to the economy to always have low prices, sales and coupons.
    6. When all is said and done, I like to have the security of a good-sized stockpile in place to see me through my own times of financial less or loss. Since this happens frequently in my life, it's nice to know I can shop at home.

Having said all this, thanks for all the good points you made, truckerofbc; I appreciate your viewpoint too!

Quote Originally Posted by truckerofbc View Post
    The masses are for the most part oblivious to the amount of money they can actually save by using one, two or more coupons.

However, there is also a fine line between using coupons and coupon obsession. When you become so obsessed with coupons that it takes away time from your family, time from doing household chores, time from spending time with your children and then there is also a compulsion for some that they have to get it since they have coupons for it...ie stacking because they can and getting multiple items of the same thing over and over without realizing it. I have seen some individuals on here who have collected amazing stashes of bathroom supplies and other beauty items from the pictures, but let's face it...the sales will come and go...do you really need 20 or 30 shampoos stocked up at home or 100 Glade fragrances?
    Will the world stop mass producing shampoo or fragrances and stop giving sales because I might only buy 1 or 2 of that item...My family has 6 living in this household which is at least 2-3 more than the average household and we average a shampoo every 1.5-2 weeks. We also rarely use any fragrances around the house. As a matter of fact, I use my fragrances in the trucks I drive since my boss is a non smoker and the owner part owners are also non smokers so I use 3-4 Ultra Glade Air Fresheners a week to keep my truck smelling fresh and clean and smoke free.
    Yet, sometimes couponing can actually cost me more money in the long run than if I didn't use a coupon and just waited until I actually needed the product. There will always be a coupon for that product somewhere in Canada and with a trade here and there I am sure I could get a good deal. Make sure couponing doesn't become a compulsion for you and have a happy couponing time.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Hope I'm not being disagreeable by disagreeing, but there are a few other considerations:
    1. Some stores are going out of brand-name products, and there may come a time when coupons are actually scarce or nonexistent for certain products.
    2. We know of companies that used to mail out coupons and FPC's, but don't anymore (SC Johnson). We know of coupons which have been discontinued on certain sites (Catelli Healthy Harvest pasta), and limited on others. We know of companies changing their policies regarding reimbursements with coupons (Kelloggs).
    3. A person's circumstances can easily change; loss of a job, health issues, etc. and suddenly there's no money coming in, so a stockpile is one thing you can fall back on.
    4. Stockpiles aren't just for oneself, but are great for making up gift baskets for birthdays, Christmas, etc. so there are always gifts for the family; same goes for donations.
    5. No one knows how the weather, markets, or the economy will affect prices. Better to buy lots at a low price to weather any tough times in store, than to trust to the economy to always have low prices, sales and coupons.
    6. When all is said and done, I like to have the security of a good-sized stockpile in place to see me through my own times of financial less or loss. Since this happens frequently in my life, it's nice to know I can shop at home.

Having said all this, thanks for all the good points you made, truckerofbc; I appreciate your viewpoint too!
    And I also agree with your points

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

All of us SC'ers should really thank all of the people who pay full price for stuff. What would happen if everyone did what we do? It would be hard to find coupons if everyone were looking for them.

Trading Score
    17 (87%)

i agree with most ppl about paying regular price...
    just today dh wanted to buy canucks so we went to zellers found them for 12.99 he bought two and ended up paying $29.10 then we went to ld to buy diapers(used coupon=)) and i saw the SAME for 9.99 i told him we should go back to zellers and pm ld. but he refuse for some unknown reason
    Last edited by JCsmom; Fri, Apr 16th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Well said

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Everyone is making a lot of really good points;this is a great thread

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

aweesome thread i enjoy reading it

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Awesome thread!

My BF and I were talking about my coupon use (sometimes I ask him to go through a different line when there's a limit on stuff I reeeeallllly want or need) the other day and I asked him how he felt about it.

I found his answer quite interesting: he said that it used to make him really uncomfortable, because he equated using coupons with being poor (i.e. using them because you didn't have enough money to pay the full MSRP). Now he can't imagine shopping without them, because he knows how little I spend on stuff.

It really made me think about how people react, because I have also offered coupons to people in line - and have also had mixed results. The one I remember most vividly was this guy at Mark's Work Wearhouse, before I knew about SC and had trading buddies; I had a bunch of $10 off $50 coupons that were expiring that day, but hadn't found much that I really liked, so I offered him one (why let it go to waste?!). He literally growled at me that he could "pay for the stuff himself".

I was taken aback by his reaction, because of course I didn't know him from Adam, and hadn't offered him the coupon because I thought he couldn't afford whatever he was buying...I was just trying to be nice. It hadn't even crossed my mind that he (or anyone else to whom I might offer a coupon) would consider it to be a judgment on their financial status (how on Earth would I know??).

Anyway, discussing it with the BF made me realize that some people consider it just that - a statement that they can't afford to pay full price. Personally, I think that's insane, but I guess everybody has their POV.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I can’t figure out why, but my friends just can’t embrace the whole “couponing thing” or the simple concept of saving money. Example…my friend will be going away on vacation. Since she does not travel on a regular basis, she needs to purchase not only travel basics, but also the essentials. During our discussion I am trying to point out where she can purchase the items she needs and save a few bucks. For example…three piece luggage set is still on sale at Zellers (leftover from midnight madness sale) for $30 vs. what she was looking at (over $100). Swimsuits on sale tomorrow at Sears for 50% off vs. paying full price ($70+) for a quality suit. Toiletries (toothbrush, shampoo, sunscreen etc.)…there are enough coupons floating around (I even gave her a few which she is currently using as bookmarkers) that you shouldn’t have to pay full price for any of the items. Her response as she shrugs her shoulders…”maybe I will look into it” (I am 100% confident that she will end up buying the items (at full price) the day before she leaves!

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Hey divaonadime, does your friend lend out her books? Especially the ones with the coupon-bookmarks in them???

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Hey divaonadime, does your friend lend out her books? Especially the ones with the coupon-bookmarks in them???

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

[QUOTE=Valiant;1980491]Hope I'm not being disagreeable by disagreeing, but there are a few other considerations:

I can't tell you how true this is for my family. My husband works on a crew that paints/carpets/etc large commercial buildings- like WM for example. He can be gone for up to 5 weeks @ a time, travelling to those jobs (from Halifax to BC). Because the jobs come when they do- i.e. not consistent. I run our house on a "yearly"budget. What I "stockpile" I put into the month that I believe I am going to use it. As long as I stay in budget for the month/quarter, we will do just fine. And given that I am about to go back work from Maternity leave- having a stockpile will only help me time wise when I become a working mom.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RCSS usually have spend $250 get $25 GC.. and one time RCSS had a bunch of things on sale that I had coupons for and to top it off they also had in-store coupons. So I thought I would get a bunch of stuff that I NEED that I had coupons for and do my groceries at the same time.
    - stacked up on meat, Similac milk for baby, etc etc.

At the cashier I tried to organize the things I had coupons for and put the MCs + instore coupons (if any) on top of it or beside. So that the scanning will go through smoothly and less hassle. But the cashier didnt even bother, she just cant sliding the products, scanning all the products ending up mixing all the coupons, so i thought that in end she will just enter them all. BUT noo by the time that it was time for coupon entering, each coupon she would ask for the item to try and match it so here I am trying to look for the items that I have already put in the bag. (irritated me)

and then! there was one IN-STORE coupon that apparently had technical issues and needed manager override so we had to wait for the manager, looking at the people behind me, they weren't smiling (LOL) - i said sorry but they just ignored me. HAHA

After the manager left, the cashier started entering the coupons again, and then the DOVE BW that I bought (that was on the shelf for $2.99, scanned at $4.99!!) Yes I know SCOP but urgh! was already in too much hassle so I just got the manager to exchange it to the $2.99 one, and then back to entering coupones and THENNNN....GET THIS, the system said (TOO MANY COUPONS!!!!), what???!!!... the cashier tried to deny the rest of my coupons cuz of the system override so I had to fight.. and say.. there cannot be too many coupons because i also bought MANY items.. and each item is qualified for each coupon... so the manager had to override all of the coupons thereafter, after a long arguement (with the cashier & the manager) and then my total was about $10-$15 short of $250!! hahaha.. what am I going to get for $10 - $15 in an instant? OMG.. I had to get my order suspended so I could shop for more.

I was irritated and I'm sure the cashier + the people behind me LOVED ME.

I guess never doing that again.. WOW what a hassle.

Sometimes those people who don't use coupons just doesnt want to go through the hassle. =S

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    193 (100%)

I LOVE my little stash...some of it is a little crazy, but it's all stuff that will get used!! Most of it is food (family of six!! we eat a LOT!! lol) But there are some things that I didn't necessarily NEED to buy... BUT I FINALLY am able to give gifts again! I love to make up nice gift baskets that look like they cost a fortune, but was really only cost about $10 OOP.
    My kids and BF LOVE grocery shopping at my little store in the basement. My BF says it's the only shopping he's allowed to do without getting into trouble! lmao

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information