User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

I never have my own Air miles account. But since I now shop @ Metro & pump @ Shell more often I am currently considering this CC. Any current owner or other SC has comment / review on this card?

The no-fee feature and the 150 welcome bonus appear attractive to me... I need to spend at least $20 to earn just 1 AM @ Metro.

Much appreciated.

PS: First time popping in this Finance section. I am sure this would take away most of my time in SC from now on! CHEERS!
    This thread is currently associated with: Metro, Shell

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

American Express has a NO Fee Air Miles Card, where you get 1 AM for $15 spent in participating AM locations, & 1Am for $20 spent on other locations. You can also use a separate only Air Miles Card at the same time, so you get double the airmiles for the same purchase.
    I mean first swipe the Air Miles Card at the vendor & then pay by American Express Air Miles Card. This way you get both AM.
    ASH

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was wondering about a similar question too. Maybe this will be helpful.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/130552-...awards-canada/

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've had the American Express Airmiles credit card for over 10 years. I have no complaints about it, in fact, they were very helpful when I recently noticed an unusual charge on my card that I hadn't made.

Are you sure that Metro accepts Amex? I know a lot of grocery stores in my area do not.

I never carry a balance, so I don't know how the card ranks as far as interest rates go. If you think you will be carrying a balance, look into the interest rate.

One reason I am happy I have this card (or any Amex for that matter) is because it's the only credit card accepted at Costco stores. So if you are planning on shopping at Costco, it may be useful.

In my opinion, while I think Airmiles are great, I much prefer money. A few years ago I got a CIBC Visa that offers "Dividend Dollars" ... basically, a small percentage of your purchases are given back to you as a credit on your December invoice each year. I haven't been able to find anything similar in an Amex product, and even if I did, I just don't think I'm up to making any changes right now.

Good luck!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by super_e View Post
    I've had the American Express Airmiles credit card for over 10 years. I have no complaints about it, in fact, they were very helpful when I recently noticed an unusual charge on my card that I hadn't made.

Are you sure that Metro accepts Amex? I know a lot of grocery stores in my area do not.

I never carry a balance, so I don't know how the card ranks as far as interest rates go. If you think you will be carrying a balance, look into the interest rate.

One reason I am happy I have this card (or any Amex for that matter) is because it's the only credit card accepted at Costco stores. So if you are planning on shopping at Costco, it may be useful.

In my opinion, while I think Airmiles are great, I much prefer money. A few years ago I got a CIBC Visa that offers "Dividend Dollars" ... basically, a small percentage of your purchases are given back to you as a credit on your December invoice each year. I haven't been able to find anything similar in an Amex product, and even if I did, I just don't think I'm up to making any changes right now.

Good luck!
    Hi Super,
    Your waiting is over. Now Amex has a separate card (Costco Amex Card), Its No Annual Fee (so its ideal for you as you do not maintain any balance) And it also pays 2% on your Gas purchase, & 1% on all other purchase. This is on top of the 2% Costco pays for Executive members. It also pays 3% on restaurant bill (select restaurant only).
    If you are a Costco shopper with Executive card - then you will get 3% cash back (2% of Costco & 1% of Amex Card).
    Its much better than the CIBC dividend card.

ASH
    Financial Advisor
    www.edfc.ca

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Thanks to the fellow SCers for the responses so far.....

Super_e, you made a point that the Metro here may not accept AE. Need to find out if that's the case in GTA (or if any other Scers know?)... If the card really not accepted by Metro / most of the grocery stores (since they charge higher service fee to the retailers than Visa / Master, as I was told), may need to reconsider if I should even go for an AE card at all... Afterall majority of my daily expenses are grocery related! OR I can just apply for one as a "stand-by"...It will cost me nothing to carry the card, as long as no over-due balance left thus no interest to incurr.

I am not a member with Costco myself (but my mother is, and she is using the Costco AE card as mentioned by ASH), so not able to take the benefit of the Costco AE card. My mother seems to be happy with her AE card though, esp. when she receives a big cash-back chk to spend at Costco annually!

I am also using the "regular" CIBC dividend card that I am quite satisfied with so far... UP TO 1% of cash back... I was told that you can "unpgrade" to 2% CB if willing to go for the Dividend Platinum(?) card but paying annual fee in extra.
    Last edited by Piglet_fy; Wed, Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:42 PM.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

I know for a fact that Metro accepts Amex as I shop at Metro with my Airmiles Amex for a very long time.

I live in downtown Toronto, and shop at the Metro on Gould Street and at College Park.

Hope this helps.
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I went through my visa bills over the past year and notice that amex is only accepted at 80% of the merchants that I shopped at. ones that don't accept it include state farm insurance, dentists, loblaws. so you might need a back up visa/mc if you go with amex.
    Last edited by travelgeek; Thu, Apr 15th, 2010 at 09:14 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I have the Air-miles Amex, and I love it. I had the no fee one for years, but upgraded last year to the $50/ year one for 1 air-mile for every $10.00 air mile providers and 1 for every $15 everywhere else. I pay for all of my gas and groceries on this (Sobeys & Shell which give air-miles), then go home and pay them off right away through online banking, so I never have a balance.

I definatly get more than $50 a year worth of air miles, so I am happy with upgrading to the Platinum card. But for anyone who doesn't, the no fee card is still great.
    Nettie
    Want to join SWAGBUCKS and earn gift cards? Click on my referral link! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nichandainc
    Visit my blog, to read about how I save money on everyday expenses!
    http://stuffthepiggybank.blogspot.com/

Thread Information