User Tag List

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Hi everyone,

I'll be moving back to Vancouver in the summer for a few months, can't wait to be back. But it's been 5 years since I moved. What are the best new restaurants now? Thanks for your gourmet tips in advance!

Go Canucks GO!!!!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I have some restaurants to suggest.
    The service isn't the greatest, but they do get the job done. The soup is good though. A Vietnamese Restaurant by the name of Pho Hoa. It is on Kingsway near Gillies.

If your looking for a great Sandwich...a little known place except to the Vietnamese called BaLe located at 701 Kingsway Ave. It looks like a French Bread. Ask for the "Special". I think you'll like it. And the price is great. Like $3 for a Sandwich.

If you are looking for a great low cost deal then can I suggest Chinese Food @ Richmond Public Market @Westminster & Cooney. For $5 it's 3 choices plus rice. It's a great deal. My wife always have enough left over for her supper when we eat there. My favorite there...Special Flied Lice...

Another Chinese Food Favorite is Hon's Won Tun House (multiple locations)..again service isn't the greatest...but the food is great.

So those are some of my suggestions.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

If you like Italian....Nick's spaghetti house on Commercial Drive, or La Spaghetteria on 6th and 4th in New West.
    The Davie Street Mongolian Barbeque is better than "The Monglolie Grill" as tey have all you can eat instead of charging you by weight.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I love the Naam in Vancouver.
    It is a vegetarian place.
    The ambience is like your grandma's kitchen and the food is always awesome.

I wish there was one closer to me
    Keep it carbed......

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

If you are looking for great pasta or italian dishes, Anton's Pasta Bar in Burnaby is awesome. Huge protions and great food.

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

Ummmm... I like food!

Hon's and the Naam are also in my top list. I'm happily addicted to Hon's Potstickers and Wuntun soup. Whenever I have friends visiting I take them to the Hon's on Robson. The Cashew and Avocado Enchilada is my favourite thing to order at the Naam. I've been meaning to get to Nick's Spaghetti House forever.

Depending on how you are with lineups, Stephos on Davie Street is also one of those little places that put out amazing food in large portions for really good prices.

Also on Davie (at Thurlow) is Characters. I can't tell you how many times I've had their Roast Lamb Dinner when I really wanted something satisfying. They also do very good curries and souvlakis. I often have a 2for1 entree coupon with me.

My Roast Lamb Dinner, Lamb Curry on top of pic.

Havana Cafe on Commercial Drive not only provides great food but atmosphere to match. Nothing beats taking your out of town friends to Havana on a sunny afternoon, snagging a patio table and watching the parade that goes by on the sidewalk. You see a "real" part of Vancouver.

I'll tell you my number one favourite, but please don't tell anyone else, lest they start to get impossible lineups. Brioche, at the north foot of Homer Street is just a little place with a baker and a chef that put out sublime dishes at very good prices. The best soups in Vancouver, I think.

My bean and prosciutto soup at Brioche.

Our soups and a shared green bean and goat's milk cheese salad at Brioche. Chocolate Macaroon cookies for dessert. That little spread, with glasses of water, cost less than $20 with tax and tip.

Okay, I have a tie for my number one. It's La Brasserie on Davie Street. Go before 6:00 PM to avoid a lineup. Possibly the finest German/Swiss cuisine in the city. They do a weekend brunch, too.

My cheese omelette at La Brasserie.

My lemon tart at La Brasserie.

Vij's has become world famous for their Indian dishes and has maintained their quality. Look them up and be there when they open their doors (I think at 5:00). Try the Lamb Popsicles.

For chocolate, it's Thomas Haas. The L.A. Times declared his Chocolate Sparkle cookies "the world's best". He has his original location in North Vancouver and a new one in Kitsilano.

Thomas Haas' Chocolate Sparkle Cookies (yes, I actually scanned them so I could drive a fellow Smartcanucker crazy when we were talking about them).

Just west of Granville Island is a little fish and chips shack called Go Fish. Go early (because they close early) to enjoy the best fish tacos and such made with the fresh fish that comes off the fishing boats moored nearby.

My friends from New York, who know their sandwiches, rave about the ones we get at La Grotta Del Formaggio on Commercial Drive. And I never fail to make a quick stop at Dutch Girl Chocolates when I'm on the Drive, for a Lemon Truffle or some other home made thing. As you stand there making your choice, you can see into the back kitchen from where the smell of cooking chocolate emanates. When I leave I also take a big bag of assorted Dutch licorice. A bit expensive but you forget about that after you've had your first few pieces.

The Ukrainian in me thought he'd died and gone to heaven when the heady aroma of perogies and borscht and Ukrainian sausage and cabbage rolls hit me as I descended the stairs at the Ukrainian Community Centre in East Vancouver. Several times a year they put on a Perogie Lunch, as a fundraiser. It's cheap and heavenly.

My Ukrainian lunch, with home made tomato chutney.

Another option for sweets if you're downtown is a tiny little street side shop (on Burrard Street) at the Sutton Place Hotel where they sell their leftover pastries from the dining room at very good prices.

Japadog, a quirky little hot dog stand, usually just outside of the Sutton Place Hotel has become wildly popular and world famous for their version of a hot dog. Visiting celebrities know that you haven't really experienced Vancouver until you've had a Japadog. Fortunately, they are about to open their first little permanent outlet on Robson Street, between Richards and Seymour.

I better stop there. I was going to go on about Bosa Foods new market and cafe in Burnaby or the European Bakery's Georgian Baguette or the French guy who makes fresh crepes from his funky little trailer at the Trout Lake Farmer's Market, but I'll save that for later.
    Last edited by mcminsen; Thu, Feb 9th, 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

mcminsen are you writing for the province? What a superb lineup there. Those perogies look delicious. That was enough to make anyone crave....mmmmm chocolate

Trading Score
    394 (100%)

I got started and I couldn't stop. Now I want cabbage rolls for breakfast!

Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Those Chocolate Sparkle cookies look so good! Probably very pricey though! Actually the recipe is on the internet!

Thread Information