User Tag List

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I saw you are getting the cool weather Natalka, 14 yesterday I believe. Too bad, summer is just about done we had 16 yesterday and cruddy as heck. My plants are hagning in there but it won't be long before things start to turn. There is one tree on out street that is always early and it has red leaves already. YIKES!

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Bumping this thread!!!

I have some questions and hope some gardeners here can answer. I'm sorry for sounding stupid, I know absolutely nothing about it all. But I REALLY need to plant some insect deterrent plants and through online research, the two best seem to be marigold and tansy.

So, when is the best time to plant these? Is it better to do it from seed or to buy them potted and transfer to the ground? Is there one location that is better to buy plants from than another? Is there anything I am not thinking about here? All help appreciated!!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

good stuff, i enjoyed everyone's pics last year
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

[QUOTE=AmberLab;3241664]Bumping this thread!!!

But I REALLY need to plant some insect deterrent plants and through online research, the two best seem to be marigold and tansy.

So, when is the best time to plant these? Is it better to do it from seed or to buy them potted and transfer to the ground? /QUOTE]

I don't know the tansy. I don't have much luck with marigolds. Something eats the marigold leaves in my garden.

Geraniums are also insect deterrents.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Wvde05sDdImWUQ

They are very forgiving. They grow well. I bought mine in the hanging basket at Food Basics. They is a sale in early May or around May 2-4 weekend, or near Mother's day. About $7.99 per basket, or less. I cut off the handle and plop the whole pot into a decorative pot.

I kept my geraniums in the house, cut them down to 1/3 and, I have three blooming right now. I have 5 altogether to go out after May 2-4 weekend.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Karen/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-18.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Karen/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-19.png[/IMG]

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Marigolds can be planted in any of the three ways you mentioned. I can never find seeds for the short border ones here so I usually save my own seed or buy a few packs. I remember m y grandma always having marigolds in the vegetable garden.....to keep away bugs and I always plant some as well now......
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    Bumping this thread!!!

I have some questions and hope some gardeners here can answer. I'm sorry for sounding stupid, I know absolutely nothing about it all. But I REALLY need to plant some insect deterrent plants and through online research, the two best seem to be marigold and tansy.

So, when is the best time to plant these? Is it better to do it from seed or to buy them potted and transfer to the ground? Is there one location that is better to buy plants from than another? Is there anything I am not thinking about here? All help appreciated!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you are buying plants you can't plant outside till about May 24th or all danger of frost is gone.Onions are also good for bugs. As far as buying plants even Canadian Tire has them, just look for good healthy looking plants or find a nursery you like.Good gardening!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oh yeah, I have a nice patch of purple crocus blooming in my garden. I love these first reminders of all the flowers yet to come.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

I like nicotinia, and citronella...I love gardening...wish for a longer , wider garden ...

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    Oh yeah, I have a nice patch of purple crocus blooming in my garden. I love these first reminders of all the flowers yet to come.
    totally! I have daylilies poking thru the soil about 2-3 inches right now.
    i actually have a rhododendron that i bought on clearance at home depot last summer. i just had it in it's black plastic pot until late october when i finally dug a hole and planted it. it never lost it's leaves and in fact has at least 20 buds on it right now.
    my lilac tree is has a million buds on it, and altho it's a stinky flower i'm actually looking forward to seeing how it does this year because i pruned and thinned the hell out of it last yr.

i normally have a black thumb! so any sign of life is exciting for me hehe.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Yaay ! we are back in business, Spring has sprung etc. etc.
    Its nice to finally be able to see the ground and matted grass , and Maple buds shining red in the sunlight
    http://www.clixsense.com/?4532002
    CLIXSENSE : made $850 in just one year

swagbucks.com/refer/donnaGontario
    SWAGBUCKS : earned $1450 so far

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I planted some seeds yesterday. I always like to plant something new every year, and learn how to grow it. This year it will be the sunflower.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to High Park in Toronto today... to look at the cherry blossom trees
    Last edited by Silentbob1; Wed, May 11th, 2011 at 08:03 PM.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Awesome .....
    I only have to look at my neighbors yard for cherry blossoms....
    Were any Japanese folks having a picnic under "Sakura no hana" in High Park ?
    http://www.clixsense.com/?4532002
    CLIXSENSE : made $850 in just one year

swagbucks.com/refer/donnaGontario
    SWAGBUCKS : earned $1450 so far

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Yay! this thread is back!!
    I actually just made a gardening post on my blog yesterday with pictures of my back garden so far.
    http://startingoutfit.wordpress.com/...uite-contrary/
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by donnaG View Post
    Awesome .....
    I only have to look at my neighbors yard for cherry blossoms....
    Were any Japanese folks having a picnic under "Sakura no hana" in High Park ?
    I also grow cherry trees as well , and they produce the sweetest cherries I have ever tried

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information