User Tag List

ips
    Here's the background:

I recently bought a 1-year membership to a nearby gym. On June 28/07 to be precise. I paid $50 up front and the monthly membership fees for the first and last month. The total comes out to be about $120. It is not a privately owned gym and they have quite a few franchises in Ontario and Quebec. Since I am not paying a lot of money (compared to most other gyms) on a monthly basis, I wasn't expecting stellar customer service, but what I am receiving now from them cannot be even called a service. Forget good or bad.

Here's the problem:

The girl who signed me up seemed like an airhead. She couldn't properly answer any questions about the gym except for how much and how often I owe them money. I told myself, that's okay. I work in customer service myself and I know people can have a rough day here and there. I am generally very tolerant in such cases. No biggie. I just overlooked it. But it was just the beginning.

Since this is the first time I have joined a gym, I decided to get an appointment with one of the instructors who could help me with planning out my workouts, show me the proper use of the equipments, etc. I made my first appointment 4 days after signing up. I get to the gym from work, and the associate tells me that the trainer was sick and has gone home. I said that no one had called me to inform me about it (I had given them my cell and home number; nothing on either). The associate tells me that it was the trainer's responsibility and that no other trainer was available for help. No sorry, no apologies, no sympathies nothing. I worked out a bit and then left after making a new appointment for today.

It had been more than a week since I had made the appointment (and because of my past experiences) I called in to confirm. I am told that they are not sure the trainer will be in today. Again, when would you have called to let me know. No answer. We would have called before your appointment. How long before the appointment? No answer.

What do I do?

Ideally, I want my money back and will pay no more. I haven't used the gym except once. I am thinking about contacting the head office first to clarify my case before I talk to the gym people. I want to email the head office or central contact or whatever it is. They only have an email, no number.

But am I right in expecting my refund? The service is absolutely deplorable, and I really don't want to use the gym anymore after all this. I'd rather pay a higher price for better services. But I just can't let my $100 go to waste. I am a student and for me every penny counts.

If I am right, how do you suggest I go about it?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Julie Andrews
    You can check the Canadian Consumer Handbook..
    Here's a link to how you can get it online or have one mailed to you.
    http://www.forum.smartcanucks.ca/sho...light=consumer

Due to the time sensitive nature of contracts though it would be best to look at the one online. I think there's some sort of 'cooling off' period where you may be able to cancel the contract without any penalties.... I think for Ontario it may be 10 days.

I had a bad experience with a gym myself and because I was sick at the time I couldn't do anything about it. They wanted me to mail them the 'yellow' copy of their contract and my membership card... but I was actually in the hospital at the time. Sure, my husband knew where the card was, but he had no clue where to find that stupid yellow copy of the contract. I even had to provide them with a note from my doctor saying that I wasn't able/allowed to work out! It was such a pain!!!

Anyway, I eventually found a better gym and once I was allowed to work out again I made sure that I wasn't bound like that.
    Good luck with dealing with that gym!

ips
    Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post.
    I checked the Ontario Govt website, and it does say the "cooling-off" period for memberships and such services is 10 days.

I'll post the link to the Ontario Govt Consumer Protection page here. Just in case someone needs a reference sometime in the future. The info contained is very good and useful.

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/050451.html

I have emailed the central office today with a detail of my complain. Let's see what they say about it.

When I asked to speak to the manager at the club I go to, they told me she wouldn't be in until Friday. And that there was no one available at the club who could talk to me about my situation.

Now say my 10-day cooling-off period was going to be up this Wednesday, what happens then. I can't speak to anyone until Friday. And I doubt the staff would lend credit to my story. I was appalled by their lack of willingness to take any responsibility what so ever. I have never seen this lack of willingness ever, ever in my life.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/STEL02_045922.html

Take a look at that if you don't get your money back.

Julie Andrews
    On that site it says...
    Know that you have 10 days from when you receive a written copy of the agreement or the day all the services in the agreement are available, whichever is later, to rescind or cancel the agreement with no penalty.
    http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/STEL02_045933.html

Since all of the services are not available.... I hope that you'll be able to cancel it.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

To make a record of your dissatisfaction, write them a letter and either send it by registered mail, or deliver it in person to a responsible person at the gym.

If you go to the gym yourself, make a photocopy of the letter beforehand and have the person at the gym sign and date the copy to confirm that they received your notice to cancel your gym membership and expect a refund as per legislation.

I would also email the central office to cancel the membership and provide a copy to the gym as well (get them to sign a copy to acknowledge receipt)

You can always sign back up later if the manager eventually resolves the situation.

Julie Andrews
    Did you get any resolution on this issue?

bcteagirl
    Yes, I have been wondering if things worked out for you ips.

Thread Information