User Tag List

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Wondering if anyone can recommend a Cake Decorator in the Barrie area? Just doing some research for my daughter's 1st birthday. Would like to have something special done up but at an affordable price.

If anyone knows of someone who does some good work please, please! pass along their name to me! I'm ok with newbies too, as long as they have talent and can provide a test-cake.

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty

Junior Canuck BewilderedBrunette's Avatar
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Is her birthday soon?? If you have a little while and you like to bake, why not take a cake decorating course at Michaels?? They're under $25 each (3 parts total) You can get carried away on the supplies but it's a lot of fun and will give you the fundamental skills to make your daughter wonderful cakes for all of her birthdays! I'm taking the second part currently and love it!

I did 3 cakes for my son in January without having taken any type of course...they were all great! I received a ton of compliments and was quite happy with them. I just picked up some fondant, icing colors and searched online to aide my imagination.

If you prefer to buy a cake, I know there's at least one decorator who posts fairly regularly in the bragging section...I don't know if she sells them but she definitely should because they are FANTASTIC! Also, she's located in Wasaga but that's pretty close. Just search for Badkins in brags.

Trading Score
    178 (100%)

whatever you do do not go to cakes by design I bought my daughters cake there....They charged $75 and the cake was horrible!!! The Fondant was WAY TOO thick and the white cake (the top was white and bottom was chocolate) was dry and the filling which was supposed to be a custard (in the white cake) was tasteless.
    Absolutely HORRIBLE.
    <a href='http://www.irazoo.com/ReferedNewUser.aspx?RefBy=wakeforsoul'></a>

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WAKEFORSOUL View Post
    whatever you do do not go to cakes by design I bought my daughters cake there....They charged $75 and the cake was horrible!!! The Fondant was WAY TOO thick and the white cake (the top was white and bottom was chocolate) was dry and the filling which was supposed to be a custard (in the white cake) was tasteless.
    Absolutely HORRIBLE.

Wow! Sorry to hear that but my hubby picked up my birthday cake from them...it was delicious!! It was some kind of banana, chocolate crunch cake with strarberries and more chocolate deliciousness.....mmmmm... No fondant or fancy stuff but WOW! That's the only time I've tried their stuff. I sure hope your experience was the rarity.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm a terrible cook/baker so I don't really want to get into that haha. Her birthday at the end of Oct, but from what I've heard you have to place orders some time in advance sometimes.

Thanks for the tips though, guys. I appreciate it! I will keep looking. I am trying my hand at "cake balls" right now though. Currently in phase 1 (baked, mixed and freezing). I thought they might make a good take-home "Thank-You" for everyone.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Trading Score
    92 (100%)

Cake balls are fantastic!! Found them in Canadian Family I think...I make them for every dessert platter I put together now. They're great because you can decorate them for kids or fancy them up a bit for a more mature group and they're delicious! I always get a ton of compliments but feel a little silly cause they're so much easier than they look.

I think these were my first ones...they're a little smoother and neater looking now.
    Last edited by BewilderedBrunette; Mon, Jul 19th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

We love Cakes by Design Have had 4 cakes from them all great! Dairy Queen ice cream cakes or Baskin Robin ice cream cakes are good too. There is also
    http://eo-eo.facebook.com/group.php?...5759347&v=wall the decorated is my late cousin's sister in law she has some great looking cakes

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

awesome idea!!!
    Proud Momma to Steven, Janessa, Graydon and Preston.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I love the cake balls idea, my daughters first bday is just after christmas. I think im going to stick with a basic vanilla cake and no colouring in the icing, she hasnt had sugar, dont want her to go crazy!! id like to try the cake balls one year though.

Thread Information