User Tag List

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Is the BMO airmiles gold a deal? or maybe I should if the airmiles program itself is worth it?

thx
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Whether the AirMiles program is worth it is really up to the individual's needs. It depends on what you want out of the program. So, you'll need to do some reflection and evaluation to determine what you want.

I used to collect AirMiles solely to redeem for Metro grocery giftcards, and I liked the program's flexibility of being able to redeem for other merchandise or gift cards, in addition to travel.

Then I decided that I need a rewards program that can satisfy my love for travel. I realized that I'd rather pay for my groceries, and get free travel instead. And the AirMiles program just didn't cut it (in terms of rate of return) for travel redemption.

So, I switched from collecting AirMiles to StarWood Preferred Guest (SPG) Starpoints. I have been collecting SPG points since 2005. It's been 5 years, and the program has given me many great hotel stays.

And this year, I will be converting my SPG points to American Advantage points to redeem for a ticket to Hong Kong.

So, there you go. SPG is a program that really satisfies my love for travel.

That being said, I still carry my AirMiles card with me, and I still collect it, just not as avid a collector as I used to be.
    Last edited by Woofy; Wed, Jun 16th, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

It's great for us- we fly out west at least once/year, so it is worth it. We have also redeemed for the Wii fit, a few g/c etc, -they are nice treats when you don't have any real money to spend (I'm on mat leave)! We used to collect starwood points, but they expire, and we fly much more than we hotel. I like the flexibility and choice with air miles, and we seem to accumulaate them quickly. HTH!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The only problem I have with airmiles is that their points system is all over the place. A $50 gift card is set to 300 points, but a $50 product is 700 points, it seems that they assign points depending on popularity of the product. I still collec air miles, but not as before due to the varience of points. Shoppers Drug Mart still have the best points system around.
    http://www.moneysense.ca/2010/05/19/...-best-rewards/

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Gsxrboy View Post
    The only problem I have with airmiles is that their points system is all over the place. A $50 gift card is set to 300 points, but a $50 product is 700 points, it seems that they assign points depending on popularity of the product. I still collec air miles, but not as before due to the varience of points. Shoppers Drug Mart still have the best points system around.
    http://www.moneysense.ca/2010/05/19/...-best-rewards/
    Thanks for sharing that article...

I wonder with the new rewards structure effective July 1st, will SDM still have the best points system around?
    At the right time, a kind word from a stranger, or encouragement from a friend, can make all the difference in the world. Kindness is free, but it's priceless. ~ Doe Zantamata

"And it's always the right time!" ~ Woofy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

With an airline card, you will more than likely get 5-6 points for every dollar spent at the airline. Let's say that you take your family on a vacation. You spend $800 on airline tickets. That's going to be around 4,500 points. For every 20,000 points or so that you add up, you're going to get a free airline ticket! Capital one has some of the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada.
    Last edited by richelleM; Tue, Jun 29th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for the replies people... i ended up applying for the capital one aspire..hope it was the right choice

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

indeed it is! great choice xst1! Capital One is the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada
    Last edited by richelleM; Tue, Jun 29th, 2010 at 09:20 AM.

Thread Information